PDA

View Full Version : AR Upper Questions

Aldemar
04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm in the process of sourcing parts for my 1st AR build. I've ordered a lower from Addax Tactical and I should have it in 4-5 weeks.

I looked at upper groups from several companies and all I do is get more confused. My (at the moment) specs are 16" flattop with floating barrel. So far: LaRue & Noveske seem like the best stuff but everybody is back-ordered. I've looked at GGG and Bravo Company but am not sure of the quality. Am I overthinking this?

Recommendations would really be appreciated!!

osis32
04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Bcm is top notch. They were the top choice until colt smartened up. They are still a top tier company. Daniel defense rifle gear are also brands to look at. You want a free float rail but didn't specify. Quad rail smooth rail customizable rail monolithic rail? Lots of choices. Honestly most brands will serve you well except for model one sales and hesse/vulcan.

tonyxcom
04-11-2012, 10:30 AM
You can't go wrong with BCM or Daniel Defense. Larue (I own a 16" Stealth) and Noveske are certainly nice too. Did you call Larue and check actual stock status of the Stealth Upper? When I called they gave me the standard answer of 2 weeks lead time so I ordered it, it shipped the same day.

Are you looking for a stainless barrel? BCM has some very nice Recce style uppers in stock right now. My brother has a 16" BFH barreled upper and it is VERY accurate so I would consider those as well.

SNCaliber
04-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I love my BCM!

Johnnyfres
04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
I own a BCM light weight upper group. 14.5 barrel with perm flash hider. I have About 400 rounds through it so far and no issues at all. Quality product if you ask me. I also have their Auto BCG.

Another reason I went with BCM was availability of parts and extremely fast order process/shipping.

h0use
04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
bcm makes great stuff!

tjlayzer
04-11-2012, 11:13 AM
This upper from Rainier Arms looks pretty good and seems to be in stock.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1004

wsmc27
04-11-2012, 11:35 AM
This upper from Rainier Arms looks pretty good and seems to be in stock.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1004

^^^ It's very nice.

Though I suspect there ARE more $1200 uppers in stock then the 400, 500, 600 dollar items?

:)

BCM had quite a bit BACK in stock yesterday then they did last week.

Aldemar
04-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I called LaRue yesterday. No estimate on a stealth upper. They referred me to a local gunshop, called The Gun Store and they told me that they were waiting on product from Larue! If I could get a date approximating the delivery of my lower, I may pull the pin on that.

I have a friend that lives in Austin and I may have him buy a PredetAR, strip the lower and send me everything else. I'll let him keep the lower for his trouble and that way I get all the premium stuff in the lower. Also, since he is the one still in possession of the lower, it's not a straw sale.

I was specifically looking at either the Larue or Daniel handguards.

Glad to hear the good reports on BCM, I contacted them to find out who their barrel supplier was and they would not disclose that information - one thing they did say is that it is not made by LMT.

Any feedback on GGG? I like their accessories but have not heard much about their actual guns.

tonyxcom
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
My DD LW upper has their Omega X rail on it. But I much prefer the lower profile of the Larue rails, although I believe they are slightly heavier than most. My Stealth shoots outstanding. I was able to shoot a .75 inch 5 shot group at 200yards. Although I haven't been able to back it up since, but I am sure the problem is me and my technique.

I am pretty sure my next upper purchase will be a BCM 14.5 BHF upper to put under my MTAC.