PDA

View Full Version : Possesion of Silencers (can)

Pulsar
04-22-2007, 1:14 PM
I know it is verboten to have a can on a firearm, but is it illegal to possess one?

Have no idea why this popped into my head, I've never had a desire to own one, and still don't, but it piqued my curiosity.

SemiAutoSam
04-22-2007, 1:16 PM
Unless your a Federally Licensed MFG of Suppressors.

YES its illegal to Posses one within the confines of California.

Its legal in approx 35 out of the 50 states with a FBI Background check and a 200.00 tax stamp.

I know it is verboten to have a can on a firearm, but is it illegal to possess one?

Have no idea why this popped into my head, I've never had a desire to own one, and still don't, but it piqued my curiosity.

ARRRR-15
04-22-2007, 1:45 PM
I've never had a desire to own one, and still don't,

Lier.:p Come on, it's not illegal to say you would want one if they were legal.:D

Super_tactical
04-22-2007, 1:51 PM
I want one. :(

Pulsar
04-22-2007, 4:56 PM
Lier.:p Come on, it's not illegal to say you would want one if they were legal.:D

I honestly don't, I used to at one time, back when I was living with my parents and we could legally shoot on our property. I wanted one because the neighbors always complained when I shot my .22. Since I don't live there anymore I really don't have a need for one. I dunno, but the loud bang of a gun is always attractive to me.

CalNRA
04-22-2007, 5:36 PM
at rate that this thread is showing, we will never be able to buy suppressors in state.

SirMikeAlot
04-22-2007, 9:17 PM
I want one. :(

ONLY 1??? :confused: j/k

I want many. :D

FMJBT
04-22-2007, 9:23 PM
What if it were labeled as a "Catalytic Converter"? I'm truly, deeply concerned with the amount of unburned hydrocarbons and greenhouse gas given off by my firearms. Truly. No s**t. Any reduction in the overall decible level of said firearms would of course be an unfortunate side effect..... :D

CalNRA
04-22-2007, 9:27 PM
What if it were labeled as a "Catalytic Converter"? I'm truly, deeply concerned with the amount of unburned hydrocarbons and greenhouse gas given off by my firearms. Truly. No s**t. Any reduction in the overall decible level of said firearms would of course be an unfortunate side effect..... :D

eco-friendly shooting? I like it!!! no lead pollution to mother earth. Go green!!!:eek:

m24armorer
04-22-2007, 9:55 PM
Mine works just fine.......I use my can every morning.....

Matt C
04-22-2007, 9:58 PM
Remember, don't transport any pillows along with your firearms...

adamsreeftank
04-23-2007, 1:12 AM
In some other countries, it is considered rude to shoot without one. (Those few that actually let their citizens own guns.)

It always amazes me how most of the US gun laws seem based on what you see in movies and have very little to do with serving the common good.

grammaton76
04-23-2007, 2:56 AM
I wish the US would lighten up on suppressors... as previously stated, we oughtta be one of those countries where it's rude to NOT use one. I'd own one for every gun I can attach one to.

Well, maybe not the Hakim. There's just too much fun in the blast from that thing!

BrianK_73
04-23-2007, 2:35 PM
After you use a suppressor on one gun, you'll want them for your other guns. It's not always practical to use one but when it is you are glad you have them.

cali-man
04-23-2007, 2:41 PM
Stay away unless you can legally posses one. A buddy of mine had a visit from ATF regarding one he bought overseas. He got charged with a felony, had to give up all his Ar's, Calico's, A Deawoo, A few sks's and all his pistols. Plus he spent nearly 10 grand in legal fees fighting to stay away from doing time. I did end up getting all his ammo veerrrryyyy cheap. I got it at the year 2000 going rate. I got XM193 to last me for years.

E Pluribus Unum
04-23-2007, 8:29 PM
Suppressors for supersonic high caliber bullets are large and cumbersome... total PITA and not worth it...

I would like a can for my 10/22 though... that would be cool.

Blue
04-23-2007, 9:07 PM
Suppressors for supersonic high caliber bullets are large and cumbersome... total PITA and not worth it...

Aren't you a stick in the mud :D I want one just because I can't have one :D :p

E Pluribus Unum
04-23-2007, 9:26 PM
Aren't you a stick in the mud :D I want one just because I can't have one :D :p

2 liter bottle, duct tape and a LOT of steel wool.... :)

adamsreeftank
04-24-2007, 4:16 AM

I would like a can for my 10/22 though... that would be cool.

How about an AR upper in 45 ACP with a short barrel and a supressor. Now that would be a helluva toy.

gunrun45
04-24-2007, 9:41 AM

Making a suppressor in CA is an added offense besides just possessing one. I'm sure you would never sugest uch a thing though ;)
Besides, it hardly compares to the real thing anyway.

CalNRA
04-24-2007, 10:13 AM

I don't see how duct tape and steel wool can improve the taste of Pepsi:p