PDA

View Full Version : buying a C&R PPT with your FFL03, need copy of ID?

lugee
04-11-2012, 8:03 AM
I just got my FFL03 and was wondering if there are specific procedures when purchasing a firearm via PPT FTF. I know you need to log it in your book when you sell and ask for a copy of the buyers ID. however if I am buying, do I need a copy of the sellers CA ID or do I just need their address and ID number for my log book?

my google Fu is failing me and I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Thanks in advance.

lugee
04-11-2012, 8:09 AM
forgot to mention, I didn't receive my reg books yet.

littlejake
04-11-2012, 8:23 AM
I believe you are only required to log the information into your book. For me, I would ask for a copy of there ID and I would keep that in my backup documentation book. I feel I have a responsibility to then protect that person's information, so it would go into the safe.

The backup documentation is your CYA file.

SVT-40
04-11-2012, 8:29 AM
No physical "copy" of any ID is needed for either acquiring or disposing of a C&R firearm to or from a unlicensed individual. Just the information from the document.

You only provide a copy of your C&R when acquiring a C&R from another C&R holder or other FFL holder. Conversely if another C&R holder acquires a firearm from you they must provide a copy of their C&R license to you.

Markus
04-11-2012, 9:09 AM
So same info if you order from jgsales or aim?

emcon5
04-11-2012, 9:41 AM
So same info if you order from jgsales or aim?

I just put their name and address, and include the packing slip with my docs for that transaction.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-11-2012, 9:43 AM
When you acquire from a non-FFL you only need their name and address for your bound book. You don't need their DL number.