View Full Version : Different approach to shooting posture

BayTac Training
04-10-2012, 5:55 PM
It seems like most schools of thought today promote a method of shooting where the gun faces the target and the shooter, in some way or another, constructs his posture around the gun to try to keep that gun-target line. While some of these methods are excellent for achieving marksmanship results, they often fail to transfer over to the action, defensive, or combative shooting world.

If you are the kind of person that only has an interest in keeping your feet planted on a static range, using your tunnel vision to try to key-hole every shot, then you don't have to read the rest of this post. This is intended for the shooter who recognizes the value of building a platform that successfully employs a weapon in a multitude of scenarios.

The idea of marksmanship itself is one of sport and competition. It is usually measured in terms of points and the end state of competitive shooting is establishing a winner. It makes sense, then, that the techniques that support this kind of shooting would directly serve the purpose of honing fine-motor skills and hand-eye coordination in a stable, controlled environment. Essentially, the gun lays in on the target and shooters commits himself to remain as steady and motionless as possible.

The idea of defensive or combative shooting is one of survival. It is measured in terms of who is alive or safe upon an engagements conclusion. Its end state usually involves extreme harm being inflicted on one of the sides engaged in conflict. Given the major differences in the two kinds of shooting, it would make sense the the approach and training for defensive or combative engagements should be very different. An effective posture should be established that supports freedom of movement and gross motor skills that remain effective with the ambient vision associated with high-stress situations and body movement. Once that posture is established, any weapon or firearm used can be integrated as an extension of the body, instead of adapting the body to a weapon.

There is a difference between the bodies natural and comfortable fighting posture and postures often used in the pursuit of competitive marksmanship shooting. I would encourage the shooter who is conscious of the differences between these two approaches to shooting to consider which method of shooting is being reinforced during range practice. And fortunately, combative shooting posture that is conducive to efficient vision and movement also translates to pretty good shot groups on a static range. But from my experience, it usually doesn't transfer the other way around. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments through my training site www.baytac.com (http://www.baytac.com). Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope you consider some of the changes that could be made to your approach to posture behind the gun.