PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Burris MTAC?

Det
04-10-2012, 3:29 PM
Im just about to pick up my first ar. I've got a few days to go on my Stag 3G and looking for a low cost mid range scope. Anyone have a MTAC? Thinking of the 1.5-6x40. While we're at it, any experience with the Burris Fastfire 3?

What about Nikon?

JJ1911
04-10-2012, 3:57 PM
I have an mtac 1-4 and i am selling it. Not because its that bad i just dont like the reticle. Same reason i don't like eotechs, too busy for me. Its a sturdy scope with good glass though.

Hoop
04-10-2012, 6:16 PM
Are you just going to be plinking around at the range or will you be shooting 3 gun competitions?

Det
04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
3-gun is my ultimate goal

Hoop
04-13-2012, 11:42 PM
I hear 3gun guys like the 1-4 mtac. Reticule center dot is 2+MOA wide though which is a turn off for me.

For a 1-4 optic I'd rather have a PST or super sniper.

Tracer666
04-14-2012, 1:53 AM
I utilize a Nikon M-223 on my M4 which features a BDC turret as well as the point blank reticle which is also 2 MOA at 100yds, it is an adjustable 1-4x20mm scope which was actually featured on a Stag 3G in a Guns and Ammo mag not too long ago! But There is a burris scope not sure if its the mtac, had an illumanted reticle and was 1-4x25mm with the bdc... I know it was a couple hundred more though... But anyways My M-223 has served me well so far!

quig
04-14-2012, 8:13 AM
Go take a look at the "Multi-Gun" forum at Brian Enos. There are a lot of reviews on this scope.

If you are going to get in 3-gun, this is your best option to begin with (if you don't want to spend a grand).

Two things to comment on from your post.

1- You mentioned a Burris Fastfire. Are you thinking about adding a 1x reddot to a magnified scope? Think this through, for this would put you in an "open" class. Especially if you are starting out, you'll want to be in "Tac-optics". This means only 1-scope.

2- Think about sticking to a 1-4x optic. You will be slowed up and disoriented even with a 1.5x. 1-6x is the best option as there are new scopes on the market with these specs, but they are VERY expensive.

Some of the budget scopes in this class is:

Millet DMS (no experience)
Burris Tac30
Burris Mtac (same as Tac30, but knob vs button for turning on reddot).
Leatherwood Hilux (hard to see in the day time).
Nikon 233 (no experience, but good reviews. No reddot or brightness, I think.)
Mueller 1-4x (Bright reddot, no bullet drop reticle).

The Mtac has the best day time red dot in this class.

Good luck.

Det
04-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Go take a look at the "Multi-Gun" forum at Brian Enos. There are a lot of reviews on this scope.

If you are going to get in 3-gun, this is your best option to begin with (if you don't want to spend a grand).

Two things to comment on from your post.

1- You mentioned a Burris Fastfire. Are you thinking about adding a 1x reddot to a magnified scope? Think this through, for this would put you in an "open" class. Especially if you are starting out, you'll want to be in "Tac-optics". This means only 1-scope.

2- Think about sticking to a 1-4x optic. You will be slowed up and disoriented even with a 1.5x. 1-6x is the best option as there are new scopes on the market with these specs, but they are VERY expensive.

Some of the budget scopes in this class is:

Millet DMS (no experience)
Burris Tac30
Burris Mtac (same as Tac30, but knob vs button for turning on reddot).
Leatherwood Hilux (hard to see in the day time).
Nikon 233 (no experience, but good reviews. No reddot or brightness, I think.)
Mueller 1-4x (Bright reddot, no bullet drop reticle).

The Mtac has the best day time red dot in this class.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback mang.

I've been looking for a low-power variable illuminated scope for a while. Good call on Enos's forum, it's a wealth of info!
I was thinking maybe a 1.5-5 or 1.5-6 and offset irons.

quig
04-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I "kinda" think that the offset sights were a fad.

Now, some champion 3-gunners still use them, but several people that I know have taken them off and opted for a 1-4x.

Try it. You'll quickly find out what you like and don't like after your first match. It sounds like you have a good start.

My first match, I was using a Winchester 1300, XD40 with 10rd mags, and a Bushmaster Dissipator iron sights and a bullet button and 10rd mags. I've come a long way.

Good luck.

Det
04-14-2012, 11:05 PM
I "kinda" think that the offset sights were a fad.

Now, some champion 3-gunners still use them, but several people that I know have taken them off and opted for a 1-4x.

Try it. You'll quickly find out what you like and don't like after your first match. It sounds like you have a good start.

My first match, I was using a Winchester 1300, XD40 with 10rd mags, and a Bushmaster Dissipator iron sights and a bullet button and 10rd mags. I've come a long way.

Good luck.

What are you using now?

quig
04-15-2012, 1:51 AM
1-4x

I have a Burris Tac30 1-4x (basically a MTAC before they changed the illumination knob).

I just put on a Mueller 1-4x (I forgot the model, but the only 1-4x).

I'm gonna give the Mueller a try. It is essentially the same as the Burris, but just a reddot instead of having a reticle with a bullet drop. My intent is to have it zeroed at both 35 yards and 200 yards. This way I can hit clays at the end of the shooting bay on short "hoser" stages, then dial up my elevation to the 200 yard setting for distance. I don't yet know how I'll like this, but it will be worth a try.

The only hiccup that I have with the bullet drop is that it may vary with the different ammo selection. Zero at 100, and learn your hold-overs. I never had a problem with the distance shots, but I kept forgetting what my 10yrd and 35yrd hold over was. The issue is when they make the targets tight in the close rifle stages. Particularly putting a clay bird in a no shoot target. But again, I suck. Haha.