PDA

View Full Version : Palmetto State. Uppers.

DemocracyEnaction
04-10-2012, 2:54 PM
Has anyone bought one. Are they good or bad? Any feedback is appreciated.

kotton
04-10-2012, 3:05 PM
I have a 16" mid length upper on a Rifle Gear lower, and its comparable to my brothers preban Colt LE.

I only have about 200 rounds through it at this point, but its spot on in the accuracy dept. with a rear MBUS.

Chaos47
04-10-2012, 3:06 PM
GTG put one on my friends rifle I built for him.
I'm getting one when I have funds

roushstage2
04-10-2012, 3:14 PM
I bought a 16" Mid-Length CHF upper before Christmas. Haven't had a problem with it at all.

DemocracyEnaction
04-10-2012, 3:18 PM
Cool glad to hear good things.

jonzer77
04-10-2012, 4:20 PM
How about their lpk's? Has anyone tried one?

Revolver Ocelot
04-10-2012, 4:23 PM
I have two. One had a pretty rough safety. Thgey sent a new one out no questions asked. Very happy with them so far.

jonzer77
04-10-2012, 4:42 PM
I have two. One had a pretty rough safety. Thgey sent a new one out no questions asked. Very happy with them so far.

Good to know! I am looking at their A2 stock lower build kit to finish my 6.8 rifle. Right now I just put it on my colt but it would be nice to finish it since I have a stripped lower just begging to be put together lol.

Your in Salinas, ever shoot at Laguna?

Ksmash01
04-10-2012, 4:45 PM
I just took my 20" CHF upper out yesterday.

I only got to shoot 100 rounds, but it went without a problem. They even sighted it in so I was easily dialed in at 25 yards. It is also lighter than I thought it would be, allowing me to shoot offhand easily.

I can't wait to shoot it more. If all continues to go well, they'll get my business when I buy a mid-length upper for my next build.

AMMO STASHER
04-10-2012, 4:50 PM
I bought one of there midlength lightweight uppers when they were on sale during the holidays shoots great but it had a few small scratches on the barrel, which i don't mind alot about but maybe other people do.

tundraotto
04-10-2012, 4:52 PM
bought their midlength MOE rifle package - better quality than my colt HBAR. no malfuntions or problems. SILK!

Moonshine
04-10-2012, 5:26 PM
I have an M4 PSA upper on my tactical innovations lower with a PSA LPk in it and it rocks. Will be buying my next upper there.

Peter.Steele
04-10-2012, 5:35 PM
I've got a 20" CHF upper. Love it. I'm about a thousand rounds into it so far, only one hiccup and that was ammo related. (Bullet wasn't seated right in the case.)

mcisniper
04-10-2012, 6:11 PM
My Dizzy is built on a PSA upper and lower. No issues! I need about 10 more ;).

Michael

Nate G
04-10-2012, 6:15 PM
Another happy customer. Both upper and lpk used with zero malfunctions yet. Now That I say that I'm sure I'll have a hiccup next time out lol

SlickmisterN
04-10-2012, 7:45 PM
My cousin has a lightweight midlength and it's super light and spot on accurate.

ParanoidCivilian
04-10-2012, 8:10 PM
I've got a 20" CHF upper. Love it. I'm about a thousand rounds into it so far, never had a problem with the rifle, but I did have a ammo issue.. (Bullet wasn't seated right in the case.)

Fixed for you.

clutchy
04-10-2012, 8:21 PM
I have 3 PSA lowers w/ their LPK's and one middie upper from them.

The upper came w/ a carbine tube in it instead of the midlength tube so it basically was a single shot and shot gas in my face.... I sent it back and they fixed it.

that was my first purchase and I've bought plenty more from them since.

their CHF barrels are made by FNH allegedly.

what i like about them is that they offer what the market wants and quality at a lower price point. Their prices have gone up lately and expect to wait 2 weeks to get your order.

also their "lightweight" barrel isn't the standard lightweight barrel like a DD pencil. It is smaller than a regular barrel but not much and certainly not a pencil profile.

I really like PSA but they've had growing pains that they're working through.

jbush
04-10-2012, 8:27 PM
I have their 14.7 carbine with pinned FH, no problems. LPK are good also, and they review pretty good on other forums. I just ordered some LPKs and going to order some more uppers for some builds I'm doing for my kids. They're a little slow on shipping, but not unreasonable. First lpk took 9 days for them to ship. The current ones took 6 days to leave their warehouse.

tundraotto
04-10-2012, 8:35 PM
its so hard to pick - for the $ I will never buy an AR (including their LPK) other than PSA...for varmint uppers I will never buy other than WOA. Too bad I didnt know this when i started...I would have got here a lot sooner. RRA is Ok too.

roushstage2
04-10-2012, 9:03 PM
I also bought their lower build kit. For the price and the parts you get, great deal. Also to add, my upper has been feeding steel cased ammo in addition to brass, all perfectly.

Peter.Steele
04-10-2012, 9:35 PM
their CHF barrels are made by FNH allegedly.

No allegedly about it, unless you think they're faking the stamp on the barrel.

icenix
04-10-2012, 9:44 PM
Super popular in the last few months. Everyone that has purchased one seems to like it. Can't beat the price. They sound like an up and coming brand that is here to stay.

clutchy
04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
No allegedly about it, unless you think they're faking the stamp on the barrel.

their initial barrels were stamped FN.

I don't think the ones since then have been.

IIRC they were partial blems or something and then they worked out some sort of deal with them. I have one of their LW CHF barrels sitting in my garage and there is nothing on it that would indicate it's an FN barrel. It probably is considering their proximity and the technology but who knows. Unless there is some new info i'm not privy to?

wsmc27
04-21-2012, 1:31 PM
Well, because of all you happy PSA fans, just ordered a 16'' hammer-forged CMV Mid-length lighter-profile stripped upper yesterday...specs below.

Damn you CG. :p

Oh btw, a couple of the mids are currently $50 off the usual charge. :)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers.html

from their site:
Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a Mid-length gas system. The A2 lighter weight profile barrel allows for better balance and portability over the standard A2 profile and is Mil-spec phosphate coated, High Pressure tested and Magnetic Particle inspected. Barrel is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider. This is not a "pencil" barrel.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring T-marks, but no logo, these upper upper receivers are made for us right here in the USA.

Each upper is assembled to order with US-made parts, and test fired to check gas function. Does not include bolt carrier group or charging handle.

*Please allow up to 15 business days for your Complete Assembled Upper to ship from our facility. Holiday and special lead times can be longer*

-----------

I'll post up and let you guys know how long it takes to arrive here in SD.

roushstage2
04-21-2012, 2:39 PM
Well, because of all you happy PSA fans, just ordered a 16'' hammer-forged CMV Mid-length lighter-profile stripped upper yesterday...specs below.

Damn you CG. :p

You sound so upset! :rofl:

deter
04-21-2012, 3:04 PM
I bought the 20" Heavy CL barrel. Put it on a PSA lower, PSA LPK and RRA buttstock kit PSA was out :(

Haven't found time to take it out yet but its my new best friend, next to the cat

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/ubersecret/package3.jpg

Army GI
04-21-2012, 4:44 PM
Very coincidentally, I just spent the last 8 hours searching on the internet for a 20" 1-7 twist government profile upper. My first choices: CMMG, Armalite, BCM, were all sold out and I had a hell of a time finding anybody in the for sale forums or ar15.com that sold an upper with those specifications - one thing was always off either the twist rate was 1:9 or it didn't come with a BCG.

Just when I saw Palmetto offered exactly what I wanted, I came here to read reviews about the company's quality control. The first thing I saw was this thread. The very next thing I did was order the upper :)

daybreak
04-21-2012, 5:01 PM
Love my 16" mid length CHF upper. Spikes lower with PSA LPK. Very slick safety and trigger breaks clean.

Only 160 rounds through it so far with zero malfunctions. I love it. Here it is with my gf

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c6b6346-57ef-1276.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c6b6346-5831-eb45.jpg

frankm
04-21-2012, 5:07 PM
Here's my "review" of the one I just built. 100 rounds and no issues. I'm former Marine Infantry, and I say this rifle is of the highest quality.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=562981

wsmc27
04-23-2012, 7:10 PM
You sound so upset! :rofl:

:D Ya, just hope I'll be able handle the insults from the DD and BCM owners at the range. hahahahaha ;)

I bought the 20" Heavy CL barrel. Put it on a PSA lower, PSA LPK and RRA buttstock kit PSA was out :(

Haven't found time to take it out yet but its my new best friend, next to the cat

Cat is sad, needs extra love. hahaha :) Congrats.

Here's my "review" of the one I just built. 100 rounds and no issues. I'm former Marine Infantry, and I say this rifle is of the highest quality.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=562981

Very nice, always liked the carry-handle 20" AR's. Getting an ambi-safety...or are you shootin' left side all the time?

Daybreaks' rifle looks nice too. You guys DID look at the rifle, ya?

:)

DemocracyEnaction
04-23-2012, 7:15 PM
Thanks for all the input I'll keep everyone posted.

Peter.Steele
04-23-2012, 8:06 PM

Cat is sad, needs extra love. hahaha :) Congrats.

Dude, at least your cat didn't take your rifle for himself. Here's my PSA upper ... er, sorry, my cat's PSA upper.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4769/1021646.jpg

frankm
04-23-2012, 8:14 PM
Very nice, always liked the carry-handle 20" AR's. Getting an ambi-safety...or are you shootin' left side all the time?

I'm shooting right, I have the Solar Tactical wrap for right-side shooters. The carry handle is removable so I can change to other setups. I don't have an ambi-safety but will recommend one to my bro who is a lefty and building one.

gmcal
04-23-2012, 8:41 PM
I ordered a PSA 16" CHF lightweight middy for my wife. Got the MI 2nd gen SS12 rail, bcg and ch. Not enough in the gun budget for a lpk and stock to finish the build so it will go on my BCM lower when she wants to shoot it. Should have it in 1-2 weeks and will post a review when I can.

I purchased 6 stripped PSA lowers during their last sale. Just built a rifle with a custom upper from Rainier and used a PSA lower and PSA lpk with Geissele SSA-E and Magpul MOE grip. The lower parts went in without trouble and when I put my upper on it (built on a Vltor MUR-1) it matched very well, both the color of the finish and holes lining up.

I've placed several orders with PSA and they have always shipped promptly. Highly recommend them.

avu3
04-23-2012, 8:52 PM
Ok. You guys talked me into it. 20" CHF ordered today.

S

artoaster
04-24-2012, 1:06 PM
Just ordered a mid-length 16" upper lightweight barrel and LPK from PSA to go with a Delaware Machinery lower. I hope the finishes both match well.

frankm
04-24-2012, 2:30 PM
Ok. You guys talked me into it. 20" CHF ordered today.

S

You'll love it!

Ksmash01
04-24-2012, 8:11 PM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/ubersecret/package3.jpg

Your rifle looks familiar...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/ksmash01/IMAG0175.jpg

deter
04-24-2012, 8:54 PM
Your rifle looks familiar...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/ksmash01/IMAG0175.jpg

I doubt the cat would be able to tell the difference

Palmetto State Armory
04-25-2012, 5:57 AM
Our CHF barrels are made for us by FN (they are right down the road from us). Some of the older ones have their rollmark, but they now have our PSA rollmark on them.

paintballdad
04-25-2012, 8:32 AM
^What about your standard 4140 or 4150 barrels? Who manufactures them for you?

Ksmash01
04-25-2012, 9:16 AM
^What about your standard 4140 or 4150 barrels? Who manufactures them for you?

I believe Wilson makes those...either way, you're getting a good quality barrel, IMO.

Dreaded Claymore
04-25-2012, 9:31 AM
My PSA 20" upper comes tomorrow. I can't wait because of this thread.

I'm also depressed that I don't have a cat anymore. One of the people I live with is allergic. If you have a kitty, please pet her/him for me! :wub:

Ksmash01
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
My PSA 20" upper comes tomorrow. I can't wait because of this thread.

I'm also depressed that I don't have a cat anymore. One of the people I live with is allergic. If you have a kitty, please pet her/him for me! :wub:

My cat died. I had him since he was a kitten. He died almost a decade ago.

All this talk of cats makes me sad. :(

deter
04-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Here's another photo of me rifle. Cat shown for scale.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/ubersecret/Jumbotron.jpg

artoaster
04-25-2012, 2:50 PM
Makes me want to find a cat theme as a laser engraving on a lower. Maybe something similar to DPMS Panther Arms but more domesticated.

Chaos47
04-25-2012, 4:07 PM
Cat shown for scale. hahahaha

ronyama
04-25-2012, 5:18 PM
I'm encouraged after reading this thread. I ordered a 300BLK upper recently and later found out PSA had a bad lot of barrels. They are making it right and my upper should be delivered with no problems.

glock7
04-25-2012, 6:27 PM
Their lpk is gtg, used it on my 1st build, over 6k rounds through it and it has performed well. Seems like people on here have their uppers but have not seen any detailed range reports.
This link is a good indication of how it runs. 100 rounds to me is a function test and not indicative of a perfect rifle.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/566829_Range_Report___PSA_Mid_length____Update_4_. html

smalltime
04-25-2012, 6:53 PM
I just ordered and received a 20" CHF barrel. Hope it shoots well, the finish could be better but I'm only interested in function. I still need a BCG and handguard to finish my build.

Pics Here:
http://imgur.com/a/flWyY#0

DemocracyEnaction
04-25-2012, 6:59 PM
Our CHF barrels are made for us by FN (they are right down the road from us). Some of the older ones have their rollmark, but they now have our PSA rollmark on them.

Thanks I appreciated a vendor response. Hope to see the quality first hand.

wsmc27
05-03-2012, 9:55 AM

*Please allow up to 15 business days for your Complete Assembled Upper to ship from our facility. Holiday and special lead times can be longer*

-----------

I'll post up and let you guys know how long it takes to arrive here in SD.

Update: It's on the truck in South Carolina today. UPS expects it here in San Diego by end of day Tue 8 May.

Yay! :)

wsmc27
05-09-2012, 1:25 PM
And final update...
Ordered online after close of business on a Friday evening (20 April).

Shipped 3 May (9 working days after order was placed).
Arrived per advisories on-time 8 May, San Diego, CA.

Well within the "*Please allow up to 15 business days for your Complete Assembled Upper to ship from our facility. Holiday and special lead times can be longer*" as shown on their website.

Thanks PSA, looks great and looking forward to finishing up the assembly and getting it to the range. :)

Catalyst81
05-09-2012, 1:45 PM
And final update...
Ordered online after close of business on a Friday evening (20 April).

Shipped 3 May (9 working days after order was placed).
Arrived per advisories on-time 8 May, San Diego, CA.

Well within the "*Please allow up to 15 business days for your Complete Assembled Upper to ship from our facility. Holiday and special lead times can be longer*" as shown on their website.

Thanks PSA, looks great and looking forward to finishing up the assembly and getting it to the range. :)

Very cool that they got it to you early. I ordered a middy and a LPK on 5/1. I'm hoping I get it a little early as well. Not sure about that though. The LPK kit hasn't shipped yet and the other day they couldn't give me an ETA on when it would, so I'm thinking they may have gotten busy.

avu3
05-23-2012, 8:14 PM
Ordered 4/23, shipped 5/15. Arrived today. Given current times, that's great by me! There are better finishes out there, but for what I paid, again, perfectly inline with expectations.

Scott

daking
05-23-2012, 10:14 PM
I ordered a 16" mid length CHF upper and bolt and carrier online 4-28. Arrived today. Haven't assembled it yet but it looks great. If it shoots as good as it looks I'll be real happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsmc27
06-15-2012, 8:43 AM
Got to run a few hundred rounds thru the PSA mid on Monday while at a TASC skillbuilder. Threw a BCM bcg we already had in it.

Used Tula, MFS, and Hornady prac steel cased and some PMC brass cased (all 55gr fmj). Also some Herters 62gr hp.

0 probs, no malfs, no ftf fte etc ran great.

During BZO work (irons and non-magnified TRS25 budget rd) at the 50 prone sacked had my best ever 3 shot groups (old bad eyes btw) with just over 1moa, and in final two groups two of the shots were touching.

Very happy with initial day of this PSA upper.

:)

6doubleR
06-15-2012, 3:52 PM
I could not be happier with my 16" PSA Midlength Upper. Shipping was quick when I paid for it. This free shipping event is wait central. Lol.

mattywrecker
06-15-2012, 9:34 PM
I could not be happier with my 16" PSA Midlength Upper. Shipping was quick when I paid for it. This free shipping event is wait central. Lol.

Roommate ordered the 16" mid length CHF upper during the free shipping event as well... Awesome deal on the price- but it was his first upper, so he was a little anxious to get it- felt like he was in DROS again!

Even with the wait, I believe it still only took 10 total days to receive- not bad... Of course, when he ordered his, I had to out do him and order a 14.5" BCM upper a few days later, and got it 1 day sooner, haha.