PDA

View Full Version : Tula ammo best ammo ever?

Travis590A1
04-10-2012, 1:05 PM
So as many of you have seen there are a couple of threads about tula ammo giving issues and mine is one of them. I have had 20 or so primers punched all the way through and 6 duds. I dont know if its my gun or the ammo since I fired some whitebox ammo without problem. So basically im just trying to see if anyone else out there has had issues with this particular brand. Ive heard of them having issues in some AR's and very few AK's but im sure there are plenty of guys out there with more experience with the ammo. So with that being said have any of you heard or seen anything bad with Tula ammo? (rifle cartriges)

Paper Boy
04-10-2012, 1:07 PM
Heard plenty of bad, never had an issue in my AR's. Good flame balls out of my AR pistol... Decently accurate

ACRfan
04-10-2012, 1:11 PM
My buddy has a saiga 7.62x39 and shoots nothing but Tula and he hasn't had a problem yet after about 675rnds.. I won't shoot it outta my ACR or AR but I have shot silver bear with no problem...

guitar-nut
04-10-2012, 1:25 PM
I don't think I'll be buying Tula anymore. I've had two failures out of about 300 rounds of 5.45x39mm. Punched the primer and nothing happened. Haven't had any issues so far with wolf or silver bear, though I haven't fired nearly as many rounds from these brands.

MrPlink
04-10-2012, 1:29 PM
So you are aware of the other threads disucussing this, but you made a new thread anyway?

Can I get a tactical face palm please?

Travis590A1
04-10-2012, 1:31 PM
Ya I hear that tula ammo is great for aks but mine has trouble with it. Fires brass and zinc plated rounds fine but that polymer steel they use just doesnt sit well with my sporter.

roushstage2
04-10-2012, 1:36 PM
My AR has gone through a couple hundred thus far with zero issues. "Better" brass ammo gives me better groups, but the TulAmmo works for plinking.

Travis590A1
04-10-2012, 1:36 PM
So you are aware of the other threads disucussing this, but you made a new thread anyway?

Can I get a tactical face palm please?

the other threads were mainly talking about the rifles more than the ammo. I thought it would be better for me and the other o.p. to get opinions on the ammo since with most any problems you start with the cheapest fix which in this case is swapping out the ammo intsead of replaceing bolts and firing pins.

plus I figured the other o.p. and I were having similar issues with the same brand of ammo so why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

zfields
04-10-2012, 1:39 PM
No issues in my AK, though I do mainly stick with Uly. Seems to burn cleaner then wolf.

diego-ted
04-10-2012, 2:24 PM
No Ptoblem in my saigas, I wont use it in my ARs.

chead
04-10-2012, 2:27 PM
Never had an issue with it in my AKMS but I fully believe some folks are getting bad primers.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-10-2012, 2:30 PM
My AR and Tula do not play well together. Silver Bear is the only steel case I use. Other than that it's all brass.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/CIMG4186.jpg

ChaneRZ
04-10-2012, 2:34 PM
Never have problems with Tula. I also use WPA and it's g2g.

pmoradi2002
04-10-2012, 2:53 PM
I've never used anything other than Tula in my AR. Never have had a single problem after about 1500 rounds. Fires and ejects every time.

BucDan
04-10-2012, 3:18 PM
Only launched 120 rounds through my ak. No problems so far. But it is a lot dirtier than the other cheap steel cased ammo I've ran. After those 120 rounds of tula, my piston was all covered in carbon. It may because the piston was oiled lightly, but come on now.. It looked like I parkerized and blasted the piston black lol.

chead
04-10-2012, 3:46 PM
Only launched 120 rounds through my ak. No problems so far. But it is a lot dirtier than the other cheap steel cased ammo I've ran. After those 120 rounds of tula, my piston was all covered in carbon. It may because the piston was oiled lightly, but come on now.. It looked like I parkerized and blasted the piston black lol.

What ammo isn't dusting your piston?

wsmc27
04-10-2012, 3:54 PM
My AR has gone through a couple hundred thus far with zero issues. "Better" brass ammo gives me better groups, but the TulAmmo works for plinking.

^^ same here. No probs in our AR or Mini.

Haven't tried the Herters branded stuff yet, looks like Tula ya? Thinking to try it in a couple weeks in a class.

famas619
04-10-2012, 3:59 PM
Fired about 500 rounda fo TulAmmo and not a single problem. Have not had any issues with any type of ammo brass or steel cased..

EpitomeofChaos
04-10-2012, 4:09 PM
Never had any problems with my AR 7.62x39. For me silver bear runs smoother.

zfields
04-10-2012, 4:15 PM
^^ same here. No probs in our AR or Mini.

Haven't tried the Herters branded stuff yet, looks like Tula ya? Thinking to try it in a couple weeks in a class.

Herters is repackaged Uly ( in 7.62x39 ), the other calibers are mainly tula. I believe the 762x51 is brown bear IIRC

ThemBastards
04-10-2012, 4:25 PM
I haven't had any problems with Tula out of my AR, although after seeing the pics in that "Exploded Rifle Pics" thread I am starting to think twice haha.

Freagan
04-10-2012, 4:38 PM
Commie ammo for commie guns.

peter95
04-10-2012, 5:01 PM
first time I tried Tula, I went through 300 rounds, no ftf's, and they were accurate for 50 yards.

Dirty as hell though, would probably not try it again unless I find a Heluva deal

Dhena81
04-10-2012, 5:31 PM

Why did you oil the piston on your AK?

I hope I can get through a class with this stuff I might have to function check it damn forums I can't weed through the FUD sometimes.

zfields
04-10-2012, 6:05 PM

I hope I can get through a class with this stuff I might have to function check it damn forums I can't weed through the FUD sometimes.

I put a very light film of slip 2000 on mine, then wipe it off. Makes it a lot easier to clean.

SoCal Choppas
04-10-2012, 6:15 PM
Put about 400 rounds in my AR, nothing to note; shot fine. I will be buying it up when I come across it, unless I find surplus 5.56 XM193 or any other Non-Steel core at a reasonable price.

DGD73
04-10-2012, 6:29 PM
When I took my Arsenal out for the first time, the first 2 rounds that I tried to fire (Tula) both failed to fire, I didn't know if it was the ammo or the gun. The primers were dimpled but not punched through or anything. I opened a different box of Tula and it worked fine after that. I've put more Tula throught it since then without a problem. I'm still not sure if it was just because the rifle was new or if it was the ammo.

Mossy Man
04-10-2012, 6:35 PM
i've fired maybe 200 rounds of .40S&W tulammo through my sr40c...but that's handguns.

i have about 100 rounds of .223 tulammo waiting to go through my mini.....i expect it to shoot.

jfa25
04-10-2012, 7:38 PM
Have gone thru a couple hundred rounds with my AR and havent had any issue with it. Not gonna shoot my best groups but for the price, can't beat it.

Mail Clerk
04-10-2012, 7:50 PM
So as many of you have seen there are a couple of threads about tula ammo giving issues and mine is one of them. I have had 20 or so primers punched all the way through and 6 duds. I dont know if its my gun or the ammo since I fired some whitebox ammo without problem. So basically im just trying to see if anyone else out there has had issues with this particular brand. Ive heard of them having issues in some AR's and very few AK's but im sure there are plenty of guys out there with more experience with the ammo. So with that being said have any of you heard or seen anything bad with Tula ammo? (rifle cartriges)

Travis590A1,

I would never shoot anything steel unless it was Wolf ammo. It's non-corrosive and although it's mad of steel it seems to work fine. Most if not all my rifles get American made PMC, American Eagle or Winchester "white box". I know they're much more expensive but my toys are expensive and am not going to subject them to inferior ammo. Quality standards is what I want.

Mail Clerk:oji:

Travis590A1
04-10-2012, 7:52 PM
When I took my Arsenal out for the first time, the first 2 rounds that I tried to fire (Tula) both failed to fire, I didn't know if it was the ammo or the gun. The primers were dimpled but not punched through or anything. I opened a different box of Tula and it worked fine after that. I've put more Tula throught it since then without a problem. I'm still not sure if it was just because the rifle was new or if it was the ammo.

I doubt it being new would have anything to do with ftf or bad primers lol I had at least 6 ftf in mine. After inspection I noticed the primers were hit very hard the range master was even supprised the rounds didnt go bang with the hard hit they took..

clutchy
04-10-2012, 9:53 PM
I hope it's the most amazing ammo ever!

I've got like 20 boxes of it and i've never shot any out of the AR. their 9mm works fine for me.

clutchy
04-10-2012, 9:53 PM
these double posts are killing me...

orthopod
04-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Would it be advisable to run this in a brand new AR or should I run some brass case first? I have read it runs dirty...does it clean off easily?

Tracer666
04-11-2012, 3:26 AM

^This! :iagree: I also love the .45acp, havent had issues, I only use this when budget shooting all my weapons...and that is of course if wally world has it in stock, I do believe it was 50rds for $13 rather than $20 or more for remington or winchester....

ejhc11
04-11-2012, 5:45 AM
Price=Quality

Feed the ammo you always intend to shoot

adrenaline
04-11-2012, 5:58 AM
My AR and Tula do not play well together. Silver Bear is the only steel case I use. Other than that it's all brass.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/CIMG4186.jpgI'm normally one to say that Tula runs solid in my AR. However, this exact thing happened happened to me last Friday up in El Dorado NF.

If I use Tula again, I definitely need to make sure I bring a cleaning rod. I couldn't shake that thing out.

I'm probably not going to stock up on Tula....but rather buy them for plinkin' days and keep my normal brass stocked up at home.

cantcme
04-11-2012, 6:12 AM
My saiga and bushmaster shoot tula, brown bear, wolf and brass ammo with zero issues. Consider swapping guns if you have a finicky one.

If you have a gun that you may bet your life on then it should be a gun you know will go bang every time. This seems like such a common sense answer but many people don't agree.

I talk to many people that have problem guns and they keep them for a variety of reasons.

I hope a good guys own gun will be one of the reasons he is alive and not the reason he is dead.

The War Wagon
04-11-2012, 6:19 AM
COMMIE ammo for COMMIE guns!!!

Here endeth the lesson... :oji:

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-11-2012, 8:55 AM
COMMIE ammo for COMMIE guns!!!

Here endeth the lesson... :oji:

That's the same thing I've been hearing ;)

BucDan
04-11-2012, 10:09 AM
What ammo isn't dusting your piston?

I've had cleaner experiences with golden tiger and brown bear. Uly has been good to me and Yugo.

I oil it just for that protective layer, it is a thin layer, not only that it is easier to wipe off after a trip.

But hey, an easy wipe down won't deter me from using Tula. I think it is time for me to buy 1k pack.

grim1U
04-11-2012, 10:29 AM
.223 Tula Ammo in my AK and never one problem in about 500 rounds and counting. Tula Ammo is all I buy.

Timbob55
04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
My S&W MP15 does not like the stuff. Frequent FTF that don't occur with brass cases.

My AK's on the other hand, eat it right up. Of course they'll eat anything......

Travis590A1
04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
My S&W MP15 does not like the stuff. Frequent FTF that don't occur with brass cases.

My AK's on the other hand, eat it right up. Of course they'll eat anything......

I guess im the only one who had duds. lol

leoffensive
04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I recently bought a spam can of 500 rounds on .223 for my ar and had one failure to eject. I also was plinkin a metal plate at about 400 yards with my ar. 16" m4 profile barrel and an eotech. Wasnt 100% hitting but hit enough for just standing. Ill post some video if anyone is interested

HilaryForPresident
04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
I've never used anything other than Tula in my AR. Never have had a single problem after about 1500 rounds. Fires and ejects every time.

Similar story on my end. Also use it in pistols. Even if there were 3-5 failures per 1000 rds, thats below 1% failure rate. For recreational shooting, that is good enough for me.

Travis590A1
04-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Similar story on my end. Also use it in pistols. Even if there were 3-5 failures per 1000 rds, thats below 1% failure rate. For recreational shooting, that is good enough for me.

I had 5 or so out of 100 lol thats no bueno

almaster666
04-11-2012, 2:50 PM
I have put close to 1500 rounds through my AR. All Tul'Ammo and so far, I have never had any issues. I don't think I've ever even have one single failure to fire.
The only issue I've had was with their 62 grain JHPs that wouldn't cycle well. All the 55grain FMJ's have worked perfectly.
Oh, and my friend reloaded Tul cases for me and himself and those worked flawlessly as well.
I wouldn't reload them more than once though.

marcus_bervus
04-11-2012, 3:03 PM
i had no trouble with tula ammo, it worked fine with my 1911 and ar15...

Dark Mod
04-11-2012, 3:08 PM
Tula Ammo PWNS!!!! its just a little bit dirty

NorCalK9.com
04-11-2012, 3:18 PM
Its not the ammos fault!
Stop making excuses!
Is tula the best ammo? No!
Is it gtg? Yes!
I love commie ammo cause of the price and quite frankly cause my rifles are commie made lol

Lych
04-11-2012, 5:25 PM
ive encountered manufacturing inconsistency with tula
out of 1k rounds of .223 996 worked the other 4 were damaged enough that i didnt risk shooting them
two sideways primers one mangled bullet and one bent
ive found that once it gets in the chamber it goes bang reliably enough
last round failed to lock back a couple times but im not sure if that was ammo or mags
its decent range ammo but nothing more
if the price is right i have no qualms with buying more

AK all day
04-11-2012, 5:27 PM
http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t501/DillonJury/045.jpg

Killed my AK

negolien
04-12-2012, 7:14 AM
I've shot thousands of rounds of both .45 and .223 wolf and tula no issues..