PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand from CMP

capturedlive
04-10-2012, 9:27 AM
I've wanted an M1 Garand for a long time, but I don't have a discerning eye for what's good condition and what's not, so I've been wary of buying any I've come across. However I just learned my gun club is on the CMP's approved list, so I can order one from them (I mean, they should have decent quality control, right?). They offer different grades on their site (http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm), and I'm 83% certain I want the "Special Grade."

Here's how they describe it:

CMP's new grade of M1 Garand. This rifle consists of a new production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

I chose this grade because I'm in it for the shooting, not collecting or nostalgia.

Has anyone purchased an M1 from CMP and, if so, was it a positive experience?

OldShooter32
04-10-2012, 9:39 AM
Yes. And yes! Great quality. I got a select and it was like new. My friend got a lower grade and his was almost as nice, but didnt have the "0" gage throat. Don't think you can go wrong with these.

mls343
04-10-2012, 10:38 AM
The Service Grades coming out of the CMP are fantastic right now. Your choice, but give this one consideration as well.

rp55
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
A CMP Garand may well be the best deal on a long gun in America today and when they are gone there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth on the part of those who missed out. For pure shooting I think a Springfield Service grade is just the ticket. I have two of them and everything about the transaction was quick and no hassle. You should check out the Calguns Curio & Relic/Black Powder (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84) forum where there are many Garand threads and where the Garand aficionados hang out.

capturedlive
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Great to hear, OldShooter32, thanks. I'm a visual guy and the description for each grade without a photo made it more difficult to choose. The "Special" sounded like I'd be less apt to be disappointed with all the new parts. A couple of the "Correct" models sound good, too.

capturedlive
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
mls343 & rp55... is there that much of a difference between the Service models that go for $625 and those that go for $950?

Flintlock Tom
04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
If you just want a good shooter go with the Service grade. You won't be worrying about dinging up the stock. Although if the metal is "service grade" and the stock is really beat up they may, at their discretion, put a new stock on it.
With the Service Grade "Special" you get "Correct Grade" metal parts (just like it came from the manufacturer) and a commercial CMP stock.
I got one of the HR "Service Grade specials" last year and am really pleased with it.

This is what a "CMP Special" looks like:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm138/FlintlockTom/DSC00658-1.jpg

They refinish or replace all worn parts, with either G.I. parts or modern commercial parts, install a new commercial barrel, put it all in a new commercial stock and send it to your front porch.

Calplinker
04-10-2012, 11:19 AM
If you just want a good shooter go with the Service grade. You won't be worrying about dinging up the stock. Although if the metal is "service grade" and the stock is really beat up they may, at their discretion, put a new stock on it.
With the Service Grade "Special" you get "Correct Grade" metal parts (just like it came from the manufacturer) and a commercial CMP stock.
I got one of the HR "Service Grade specials" last year and am really pleased with it.

+1 to everything Flintlock Tom said. I also bought a HR Service Grade Special a few years ago and still feel I made the right choice.

Absolutely beautiful gun. I also agree with RP55. Once they are gone, they are gone forever. Tick, tock....... ;)

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/IEShooter/M1%20Garand%20-%20HR%20Service%20Grade%20Special/20110207_0650.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/IEShooter/M1%20Garand%20-%20HR%20Service%20Grade%20Special/20110207_0653.jpg

capturedlive
04-10-2012, 1:05 PM
Flintlock Tom & Calplinker-- beautiful guns!

Capybara
04-10-2012, 1:50 PM
I have my HRA Service Grade Special on order, you had better hurry! Corrects just sold out a couple of weeks ago, they are gone, at least for the time being. The Specials will be gone next. Even just a regular Service Grade is looking really good these days, thanks to the Greek returns.

If you spend time on the CMP forums, you will learn a lot about what is up with these guns. They are, by far, the best deal on an M1 out there. There is a thread on there called "Ask Orest", he is the CEO of the CMP and he has alluded to what is in the pipeline. Within the next few years, perhaps even quicker with all of the panic buying going on, the CMP will be out of the M1 business.

There will still be plenty of M1s out there but at higher prices and lower quality. You will kick yourself unless you order one asap.

FWIW, you can order a Service Grade Special, and later hunt for some nice GI furniture and you will have a Correct Grade. All of the CMP M1s, except for the Collector Grades, which they have been out of for a long while, are mixmasters, but some go as far as trading out the mismatched parts for the correct parts for a few $$. If you want a shooter, doesn't matter, but if you want to turn it into a collectible eventually, it can be done.

I plan on ordering a regular Service Grade as soon as my Special is delivered. Get 'em while they are available, the supply is dwindling.