PDA

View Full Version : Tikka T3 kicked my @ss

chad68
04-10-2012, 1:39 AM
Took my new Tikka T3 Lite (in .308) out Sunday for the first time.

I felt like I was getting my @ss kicked and I did, twice on the nose and the bruise on the shoulder. Man I am so glad I didn't get a .300 Win mag for punching holes in paper. After 40 rounds I was done. I had it zeroed out at 25 yards in about 6 shots easy. Also sighted my new AR in under 10 rounds. Sighted in at <10 rounds with one rifle is something that never happens but two rifles in one day, wow.

Anyway. The T3 is all they say in regards to tight groups I think. I know it was only 25 yards but they grouped at no more than 1/4" and half the rounds went through the same hole and this was with the cheapest steel cased Herter's crap Cabelas had and using the tailgate of my truck as a bench and sand bags. The 1/4" could have easiley been me, as I wasn't able to have it 100% steady.

After about 8 rounds or so I had the trigger lock up solid, like the safety was on. I switched the safety back and forth several times, cycled the bolt several times, removed and reinserted the bolt and mag, all the while trying to pull the trigger. After about a minute it was working again and it never happend after that. Don't know what it was but hopefully was just a first day bug.

I had the scope smack me on the nose once, which sucked and made me feel like a tard. Then again later it smacked me again on the nose, only hurt more the second time LOL. The scopes eye relief isn't the best either, in fact I would say easily under 3" but man I didn't think a .308 would kick that much. I'm too use to .22's with scopes and 12 gauges without scopes I guess. Later I realized this .308 is actually the only large caliber long gun I have shot except for a 30-06 thirty years ago. So to minimize that chances of getting snacked a 3rd time I had my shoulder take more/almost all of the force. The shoulder bruise is a nice tradeoff I suppose.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking of changing the stock anyway. Maybe I will look into a nice heavy hardwood bench stock and maybe some cushioning for the buttstock. Would be awesome to hunt with since it's so light but not the best thing for hole punching. But I want to mod it up anyway.

I'm sure once I get used to the recoil all will be good. Can't wait to get to a longer range and really see what it can do at a couple hundred yards.

Charlie50
04-10-2012, 5:33 AM
A lightweight 30.06 is going to kick. Most hunting rifles are usually simply sighted in and maybe shot a few times during the season. You'll find that once you relax a little and sit (or lay) in the right position it won't be quite so brutal. You might find that this rifle is not ideal for punching paper simply due to recoil. BTW nice rifle! If you hate it, shoot me a pm.

sd_shooter
04-10-2012, 5:43 AM
What scope?

Google limbsaver

SamIAm
04-10-2012, 5:44 AM
Agree, they're not meant to be shot extensively.

Two other things you can do so your shoulder doesn't hurt as much.

The first is to buy a pad. Not for the rifle, for your shoulder.

The second is to get a muzzle brake. If you're using the rifle only for punching holes in paper, it's not a big deal. There is a trade off if you're planning on using the rifle for hunting. It'll increase the volume of the shot. But if you wear hearing protection, again, not a big deal.

FLIGHT762
04-10-2012, 6:19 AM
I see you're new to the big bore stuff. You need to find a shooting position/technique that won't beat you up. Have someone check the eye relief on the scope for you, you may have it set too far back.
go out and practice, shooting should be fun. A 308 Win. shouldn't beat you.

I have a Tikka T-3 in 270 Winchester. It's one of my favorite rifles. I have been thinking of getting one in 300 Win. Mag.

HK Dave
04-10-2012, 6:42 AM
I see you're new to the big bore stuff. You need to find a shooting position/technique that won't beat you up. Have someone check the eye relief on the scope for you, you may have it set too far back.
go out and practice, shooting should be fun. A 308 Win. shouldn't beat you.

I have a Tikka T-3 in 270 Winchester. It's one of my favorite rifles. I have been thinking of getting one in 300 Win. Mag.

What he said.

Generally the pain and the *** kicking occurs when you're not staged properly behind the gun.... or you weight 80 pounds. :)

The brunt of the impact needs to enter and spread through your entire body, not just your shoulder. The problem most shooters make that I can see when I'm at the range, is that they have their body canted in a 45 degree angle and there's nothing to stop the recoil except their shoulder.

Whatever the case, congratulations on your cool new gun. I want one myself! :D

r1ghtw1ng
04-10-2012, 8:43 AM
You can also check out a PAST recoil pad. but it will increase your LOP, so keep that in mind.

dougolupski
04-10-2012, 9:18 AM
I put a Limbsaver on my Tikka T3 lite in 308 and I can go 80 rounds in a day. That said I am 6'4" 200lbs but before that I could only run 30 rounds with the stock pad.

deadcoyote
04-10-2012, 9:21 AM
Not trying to be rude but why put out the money for a Tikka then buy steel cased junk ammo? Steel cased has a time and place, don't get me wrong, I just don't run junk in a nicely made tight rifle like that.

DRM6000
04-10-2012, 9:56 AM
few things to consider:

1) pull the rifle into your shoulder (or pocket) so you and your rifle move in unison under recoil. Otherwise the rifle will hit you and cause what you felt.

2) get the gun fit to you. sounds like it doesn't fit you too good.

3) in the beginning the recoil will bother you. after a while, you'll consider it normal. i took a four day precision rifle class a couple of weeks ago with a .308 rifle. on the first day i felt some discomfort and started flinching. after that, i didn't even notice it. i did end up with some nasty bruises, but it didn't hurt.

24Sailor
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
1. Wear more clothes....It's still cool enough and they absorb more recoil than you'ld think.

2. Check gun fit by holding it in the inside of your elbow...If your fingers extend past the trigger guard the stock is too short.

3. Borrow a big magnum and shoot it a few times.....Then your .308 will feel like shooting a .22

mkane
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Try some reduced recoil loads. 1200 foot lbs. less energy at the muzzle. A real pleasure to shoot.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Scope bite strikes again. Great choice on your rifle. My father has the T3 hunter. He wanted to get the new 2012 version with the flutted barrel but I don't think he could find one on line. Anyways. Great shooting. Enjoy.

MrPlink
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Shooting a bolt .308 with a scope at 25yds?

Fobjoe
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
heheh. I got the T3 lite in 300 winmag and I gotta warn folks to give themselves as much eye relieve as possible but nobody listens. Gotta keep the magnification of my scope under 10x to keep the eye relief in the safe zone. Everyone who has shot the rifle has been bitten in the fact. I figure for hunting, I'm only gonna take only one or a few shots so no biggie.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
You can also check out a PAST recoil pad. but it will increase your LOP, so keep that in mind.

I agree. That's what we use when shooting our 30-06. Even with the pad and three boxes of ammo later my shoulder was still beat up.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/2012-03-30125753.jpg

killshot44
04-10-2012, 9:31 PM
Guess 'they' were pretty smart putting some assweight into the M1, eh boys?
Light guns in big calibers kick, physics rules. And they're why brakes were invented!

chad68
04-10-2012, 10:11 PM
heheh. I got the T3 lite in 300 winmag and I gotta warn folks to give themselves as much eye relieve as possible but nobody listens. Gotta keep the magnification of my scope under 10x to keep the eye relief in the safe zone. Everyone who has shot the rifle has been bitten in the fact. I figure for hunting, I'm only gonna take only one or a few shots so no biggie.

This was the mistake I made. While playing around with different settings, I had my power cranked all the way up (32 power), which kills the eye relief. I couldn't help it but it was cool to be able to read the nutrition facts on a Bottle of Gatorade at 25 yards and see my targets were printed in China. I shoot my bench 10/22 with a similar scope set all the way at 24 power all the time but no recoil on that one.

I was shooting at only 25 yards because I was at my backup plinking spot. Normally I get to where I shoot at the crack of dawn but I left in the afternoon, so I just zeroed it and the AR at 25 yards for now till the next time.

Mongoblack23
04-10-2012, 10:50 PM
decent recoil pad - weld the rifle into your shoulder - weld your face to the stock. if you keep those welds, you and the rifle will recoil together all but eliminating chances of scope bite. prone, sitting, or standing, this works for me with my 30.06 Rem 700 and i have never met my scope. also, a neoprene stock wrap works great to keep your cheek comfortable on the stock, plus quick access to extra rounds.

Merc1138
04-10-2012, 11:49 PM
decent recoil pad - weld the rifle into your shoulder - weld your face to the stock. if you keep those welds, you and the rifle will recoil together all but eliminating chances of scope bite. prone, sitting, or standing, this works for me with my 30.06 Rem 700 and i have never met my scope. also, a neoprene stock wrap works great to keep your cheek comfortable on the stock, plus quick access to extra rounds.

Bingo. A .308 shouldn't be making the rifle recoil 2 inches without you moving with it(and giving you scope bite). If you move with the recoil, it can't hit you.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Bingo. A .308 shouldn't be making the rifle recoil 2 inches without you moving with it(and giving you scope bite). If you move with the recoil, it can't hit you.

I agree with you Merc. Here is the wife showing what you are referring to as an example.

Also she states how much she enjoys shooting the long action :p

PVWkYAcZcu4

Merc1138
04-11-2012, 12:15 AM
I agree with you Merc. Here is the wife showing what you are referring to as an example.

Also she states how much she enjoys shooting the long action :p

PVWkYAcZcu4

Exactly. You can see that she moves with the rifle recoil. Wouldn't matter if the thing only weighed 4 pounds at that point, scope isn't going to hit her in the eye.

When I still had the synthetic stock on my t3 lite(also in .308) I went over the basics of shooting it with a friend of mine and he was fine with it as his first time ever shooting a rifle. Right up until he got cocky and started to not pay attention to how he was holding it against his shoulder and spent more and more time yapping about how awesome he was. I got tired of warning him about it, and eventually he failed to get a proper cheek weld and get it tucked into his shoulder. Trying my damndest not to laugh(because I saw what was about to happen), he pulls the trigger and immediately starts swearing while I'm laughing. When I pointed out what he did wrong and why it happened, he started paying more attention and was fine for the rest of the day.

I dunno about .50bmg, .338 lapua, elephant guns, etc. but a .308, .30-06, 7.62x54r, and equivalents should never be beating up the shooter unless something is wrong(could be the shooter making a mistake, could be the rifle doesn't fit). The OP only mentioned .22 previously for rifle experience, a .22lr lets you get away with doing quite a few things "imperfectly"(can't think of a better word without sounding rude) that a .308 will make painfully(I'm so punny) obvious.

chad68, I suggest taking the advice here that doesn't involve buying anything, and try again. Or have someone with some experience go with you and show you. If you're still having issues with length of pull, some physical condition with your shoulder, etc. then consider dropping a few bucks on a recoil pad or changing the stock altogether(and there are some good options for stocks these days).

mkane
04-11-2012, 5:44 AM
Try some reduced recoil loads. 1200 foot lbs. less energy at the muzzle. A real pleasure to shoot.Read me

Kelster1574
04-11-2012, 8:13 AM
My Remington 700 in .270 kicks my *****, makes my Thompson Center .308 a pleasure to shoot.....Go figure

Divernhunter
04-11-2012, 11:47 AM
I have a T3 in 6.5X55 and one in 7mm-08. Both are a pleasure to shoot even with my very maxed out hand loads. I use a 3X9X40 Leupold as they are hunting guns. However they get allot of use at the range with no troubles. I bet your scope is too far back toward your eye and you are not holding the rifle correctly. I am sure your 308 does not kick anymore than my custom 5.5lb 308 or my tikkas do and they are not bad at all. If it prove too much for you have it Mag-N-Ported. It will reduce recoil and muzzle flip and not be hard on the ears like a brake is. My custom 308 is ported because I got tires of looking up in the sky every time I pulled the trigger. Now I see the target when I shoot and have less recoil. Not as much less as a brake but I do not have the back-blast of a brake either.

mnguyen84
04-11-2012, 12:09 PM
any modern high power .30 cal rifle with a lightweight plastic stock and no muzzle brake will wear your shoulder after 40 rounds. no matter how you hold it. If it doesn't, then you're like one of those kick-boxers in Thailand who train their bodies by kicking trees or mountains or something. that but more with your shoulder.

Jpach
04-11-2012, 1:23 PM
What kind of scope do you have? And why did you have it at 32x at 25 yards??

Either way, congrats on the purchase, hopefully there will be no more scope bite and recoil issues in the future.

SamIAm
04-11-2012, 4:30 PM
any modern high power .30 cal rifle with a lightweight plastic stock and no muzzle brake will wear your shoulder after 40 rounds. no matter how you hold it. If it doesn't, then you're like one of those kick-boxers in Thailand who train their bodies by kicking trees or mountains or something. that but more with your shoulder.

Especially if it's a bolt action, like the OP's!

Darklyte27
04-11-2012, 5:43 PM
I have a thread for your pics http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=147095

25 yrds is crazy close for a 308, I shot my savage 308 and after 40-50 rds my shoulder was sore. a limbsaver really helps.

Merc1138
04-11-2012, 6:44 PM

Yeah, you're going to feel it after a while, but you still shouldn't get bruised up by it.

Hamstur
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
A few people mentioned new recoil pad. To anybody who hasn't shot a stock Tikka T3 308, it really does feel like it has significant recoil for a 308. The OEM buttpad is rock hard and for whatever reason, it easily shifts & wedges onto the collar bone which easily causes minor bruising if you're going for a quick follow-up shot or two.

The Limbsaver pad is a critical 1st upgrade. Specifically, part #10011 or 10112 (they are the same item). Install this and come back with your range report.

smittty
04-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Try using ammo with lighter weight bullets. It will recoil less.

Or sell it.

You might do better with the same gun in 7mm-08 or even 223. For California size deer and pigs you would be fine using quality 223 hunting ammo.

chad68
04-12-2012, 3:10 AM
A few people mentioned new recoil pad. To anybody who hasn't shot a stock Tikka T3 308, it really does feel like it has significant recoil for a 308. The OEM buttpad is rock hard and for whatever reason, it easily shifts & wedges onto the collar bone which easily causes minor bruising if you're going for a quick follow-up shot or two.

The Limbsaver pad is a critical 1st upgrade. Specifically, part #10011 or 10112 (they are the same item). Install this and come back with your range report.

Thank you!

I'm 6 foot and about 275 and I was starting to think maybe I was born with the wrong plumbing down below LOL. I can shoot dozens of rounds through my 44mag revolver and .500 mag, so recoil isn't anything new to me, just having large recoil with a scope so close to my noggin' is new.

The stock pad is indead like plywood. No doubt it would be an excellent rifle for hunting which is what it was intended for. When I got it, I had no plans on keeping it stock anyway. I'm going to change the stock to something different, that was planned from the start.

I have no plans at all to sell it. If I had it to do over I might have considered the ..223 a little more but I don't regret the .308, just need to tinker and get use to it. besides I already have a .223.

Hamstur
04-12-2012, 8:26 AM
Same intention when I bought my Tikka. Mine sits in an XLR chassis but can go back into the OEM stock within minutes for hunting mode.

If you're thinking of the same concept, look into a chassis like XLR Evolution, Roedale Chassis System, or the KRG Whiskey-3-Chassis.

If you're looking to go more traditional, McMillan A-series and Manners T-series stocks are available.

mnguyen84
04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
maybe a softer pad will help. But still, the T3 Lite weighs a little over 6lbs. Moreover, the oem pad on my Hunter and Sporter feels pretty good. I prefer it over the oem pad on my Savage 110fcp.

chad68
04-12-2012, 8:17 PM
Same intention when I bought my Tikka. Mine sits in an XLR chassis but can go back into the OEM stock within minutes for hunting mode.

If you're thinking of the same concept, look into a chassis like XLR Evolution, Roedale Chassis System, or the KRG Whiskey-3-Chassis.

If you're looking to go more traditional, McMillan A-series and Manners T-series stocks are available.

It was that pic of your XLR in the Tikka thread that made me think either an XLR or the other route which would be something out of wood. I'm diggin' that XLR stock but I'm getting kind of burnt out on black long guns too, so might go laminate or something.

Merc1138
04-12-2012, 8:21 PM
It was that pic of your XLR in the Tikka thread that made me think either an XLR or the other route which would be something out of wood. I'm diggin' that XLR stock but I'm getting kind of burnt out on black long guns too, so might go laminate or something.

Paint? You could duracoat or cerakote it in dozens of colors if you're tired of black rifles.

Although if it's aluminum, you could strip the anodizing and get it re-anodized in whatever color/pattern/finish you want.

Smoothshifter41
04-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Just get a limbsaver and you should be fine. It turned my T3 in 30-06 into a very comfortable rifle to fire.

bigchelis
04-13-2012, 8:34 AM
I had a Tikka 30-06 Ultralight with 2~8x32 scope. Cut to 16.5in with micro muzzle brake.

With 180g loads and muzzle brake it was very confortable to shoot. I had a thin female date shoot 60 rounds back to back and she loved it.
With no muzzle brake impossible, way too painfull.

The Vais Micro Brake is what It had and its suppose to decrease recoil by 40% or more. Honestly; I was skeptical and in all sincerity its more like 100% less recoil. Utter disbelief untill you try it.

I think a gunsmith will charge you $70~$100 for the barrel threading and crown.

FYI: this mod improved my accuracy, likely due to not flinching. lol

bigC

fusionstar
04-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I also have the tikka t3 lite in 308 and off the T benches, it is brutal. I have a ultra light scope on top and the whole package weights under 7lbs with no brake. Kicks more than my m38. I might take bigchelis's idea and have my rifle threaded for a Vais Micro Brake at 20"

dwightlooi
04-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Bullet weight has more effect on recoil than energy or the actual potency of the round. For a 308, shooting the 110 grain and 125 grain varmint bullets (even when loaded to in excess of 3300 fps) are more comfortable to shoot than the 175 grain match kings.

The T3 also has an uselessly hard recoil pad. That's the first thing I'll change on the rifle.

cabinetguy
04-13-2012, 3:16 PM
I got scoped by a lite weight in .270 mag. luckily I was wearing eye protection as in broke my glasses. liteweight and magnum calibers is not a good mix

stockranger
04-16-2012, 9:44 AM
You will notice you see used tikka t-3's for sale chambered in the magnum calibers all the time but rarely see the smaller calibers for sale.

Throw on a limbsaver on it. Get a scope with at least 4" of eye relief.

I have one in .223. I'm wanting a larger caliber for pig and deer but it will be 243 or 25-06 throwing 100 gr. bullets because I am smart enough to realize the bigger calibers will beat the heck out of you in this gun.

No point in .308 unless you are an elk and bear hunter. .223 will smoke 200lb game inside 200 yards using a 62 gr tsx. .243 or 25-06 would be an excellent choice for hunting in CA. Maybe back when all there was to pick from was some lousy sp bullets you needed more gun but with bullets like the tsx these days you don't need a cannon. Lots of hunters don't want to put out some extra money for the premium ammo and then complain when the animals runs off when hit with a 30-06 so they think only a 300 mag will put down a deer.

A 62 gr tsx will pass thru a hog and drop it better then you might think.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p27/plantshaman/IMG959286-1.jpg

negolien
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
I agree. That's what we use when shooting our 30-06. Even with the pad and three boxes of ammo later my shoulder was still beat up.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/2012-03-30125753.jpg

Not to offend but be sure to tell your wife that a hot women shooting an awesome weapon is a little too much for us forum tards to take in :p To you Sir I say WELL DONE..:King:

killshot44
04-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Not to offend but be sure to tell your wife that a hot women shooting an awesome weapon is a little too much for us forum tards to take in. To you Sir I say WELL DONE..

Neg, I'm NOT saying SR71's girl isn't hot - but how can you tell from this photo?

She might as well be in a Hijab....:p

Sunday
04-16-2012, 3:55 PM
I have a 300 Weatherby 300 mag lightweight from the early 60s and with 200 gn bullets there is a black and blue on the shoulder after 10 shots and a mark on the eyebrow where the scope hits the safety glasses . 150 gn bullets only suck a little.