PDA

View Full Version : cheap corrosive 5.45x39 ammo though semi-auto?

Squid
04-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Putting corrosive ammo through a $100 Mosin is one thing, because it has so many less parts exposed to gases, and it can all be cleaned with couple pulls of bore snake, and it only costs $89 and has already been semi-corroded.

What are thoughts on running this ammo through a newish AR or AK? Would that require a full tear down following shooting, and would metal be so much thinner that Mosin it would fairly soon render gun junk?

But at 5.45x39 price around 10 cents a round, it might be worth it.

What is the 'reasonably good care' service life of AR/AK with this ammo?

Can't I just spray some Hopp's and work the actions and maybe pop off a couple non-corrosive rounds and call it good?

What is Soviet Army policy on this?

MrPlink
04-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Its isnt hard to neutralize the corrosive elements, so why not? Unless you are just some mall ninja or a range commando that treats a fighting gun like a prom queen...

novalondon
04-10-2012, 3:11 AM
The corrosive part is the spent primer chemical, sodium chloride (table salt). A flushing with warm water before you do your normal cleaning after getting home from the shoot is all you need to solve the problem
The warm water flushing will dissolve the salty crud and stop any corrosion worries

BucDan
04-10-2012, 7:11 AM
^ pretty much that there. It isn't hard to clean at all. I usually use a tea kettle and boil the water in that since it's faster, then continue and pour it down the barrel, gas tube, and the bcg, and the inside receiver for the heck of it.

BMWguy206
04-10-2012, 7:35 AM
I met a guy with an AR15 chambered in 5.45, and he used Windex to spray down his AR due to the corrosive ammo.

zfields
04-10-2012, 7:43 AM
I met a guy with an AR15 chambered in 5.45, and he used Windex to spray down his AR due to the corrosive ammo.

No reason to use windex opposed to water. Both do the same thing.

EvoXRiley
04-10-2012, 8:49 AM
i have a Ar15 in 5.45 , cleaning is simple dont let the internet operators tell you otherwise. Shoots great and while it's velocities and ballistics are different then the 5.56 id still not want to be shot with either.

Cleaning is as stated above hot water and i use ammonia mixed in and cleans up without any issues.

Standard
04-10-2012, 9:17 AM
I just throw my AK in the shower, hose it down, then clean it like normal. Still looks perfect.

Lone_Gunman
04-10-2012, 3:15 PM
I just finished converting my Saiga IZ340 and I bought 3k rounds of the corrosive ammo after doing a ton of research on it. All you need to do is run hot water down the bore and over the bolt and gas piston and then clean like normal. Or you could do it the Russian way-- drink a liter of vodka and piss down the bore and on the piston and bolt.

You don't need Windex, the only thing in the Windex that dissolves the corrosive salts is water. Salts are water soluble, not amonia soluble.