PDA

View Full Version : check out my featureless Saiga!

jhutchens
04-09-2012, 11:14 PM
I am confident I have this rifle in a legal configuration (I have read a lot on the subject) but just fyi it is still in Oregon so if you guys see anything that I need to change to make it Cali legal please let me know. I plan on flying down with it very soon.

To make it featureless I had to get rid of the
1) forward vertical grip
2) pistol grip and
3) collapsing stock.

To do this I
1) just took it off for now...
2) bought some kydex and made my own grip wrap (pretty easy once you get the hang of molding the stuff)
3) used some molded kydex and zip ties to block the folding stock from moving

Does it look like I covered all of the bases? Here are some pics:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj560/jhutchens82/gripwrap.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj560/jhutchens82/stockcloseup.jpg

I had to fix the stock because OAL was less than 30 inches when folded so I figured I might as well just go featureless... Thanks for looking!

Chaos47
04-10-2012, 12:14 AM
edit: fixed ;)

jhutchens
04-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Interesting..
Pretty sure your forward hand guard is on backwards...

Wow... I'll pull it back out of the safe tomorrow and take a look at that. Guess I wasn't paying attention when I put everything back together. Thanks.

Chaos47
04-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Yea, no problem.

But back to your main question.
As long as your mods are decently strong they should be ok
Make sure you can't snap the zip ties or rip the wrap off.

From the photo it looks like you have a thread protector on or maybe your barrel is not even threaded. Just remember for the future to not put a flash hider/suppressor on. Muzzle brakes are fine though

Seems like you understand the law but just for review
Penal Code 12276.1.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

jhutchens
04-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I couldn't stand looking at that picture anymore so I removed it and fixed the rail just now... I'll post a new picture of the whole rifle again tomorrow. Thanks again Chaos47.

jhutchens
04-10-2012, 12:46 AM
The zip ties are just there to give the kydex piece more support. It is molded on, blocking the stock from folding so even if the zip ties break off it should hold. It's hard to see in the picture.

ns3v3n
04-10-2012, 9:15 AM
Good thing you fixed the stock, I believe in featureless, you cannot have folding stock regardless of OAL.

Merc1138
04-10-2012, 9:18 AM
Good thing you fixed the stock, I believe in featureless, you cannot have folding stock regardless of OAL.

Correct.