PDA

View Full Version : Romanian SKS

mcmikeblues7
04-09-2012, 9:39 PM
I'm going to get a little spending cash after I sell one of my less practical but cheap .22s, and I'm thinking of spending it on a Romanian SKS. But I have some research to do before laying down cash. So here come my questions.

What should I pay for one with a decent bore?
These are C&Rs unlike the Chinese and Yugo sks, correct?
This will be my first sks, what should I know?
And also, as a general question, If you had around $500 to spend on a long gun, what would you buy and why?

stitchnicklas
04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
if you are going to spend 500 bucks on a sks,just buy a russian sks.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
...These are C&Rs unlike the Chinese and Yugo sks, correct?

The Yugos are also C&R. You might be mixing up C&R status with California "cash and carry" status. To avoid a dealer transfer in California a firearm must be a long gun and C&R and over 50 years of age.

The Romanians are C&R and I'm pretty sure all of them are over 50 years of age now. I think 1960 is the highest date anybody has seen stamped on one, but you should double check on that.

Vlad 11
04-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Romanian SKS has a chromed bore so condition is likely to be decent.

They seem to be going around $350 - $400

ironmike
04-10-2012, 4:25 PM
Buy a Romanian first then a Russian. The Romanian SKS rifle is slowly dwindling. They are almost up as availabity is concerned as the Albanian SKS.

OHOD
04-11-2012, 6:46 PM
I have a Romanian-Yugo Hybrid :D......sort of. But a Romanian......kind of.
It's a Romanian.

OHOD
04-11-2012, 6:47 PM
I have a Romanian-Yugo Hybrid :D......sort of. But a Romanian......kind of.
It's a Romanian.

Well, kind of. :facepalm:

echo1
04-11-2012, 8:44 PM
There was someone in the for sale post that had a Rommy for an absurd amount, but it's available NOW. I think it could be had for what it's worth. Buy it today if it's still up. The SKS market in Kali is going to get ugly soon. PAX

havegonetooz
04-11-2012, 11:58 PM
There was someone in the for sale post that had a Rommy for an absurd amount, but it's available NOW. I think it could be had for what it's worth. Buy it today if it's still up. The SKS market in Kali is going to get ugly soon. PAX

Why, because of the election, or the 2013 cash and carry CA law?

OP, I'd say get the Russion SKS if you have the money.

PoorRichRichard
04-12-2012, 12:21 AM
+1 on the Russian if you have $500 to spend, and want added potential value in the future. And don't just buy it because the person selling it to you says, "...it's a Russian SKS!" Make sure all the numbers match, and that it's in good shape before ya buy it (this is especially important if you buy online). If you obtain a nice Russia with matching numbers, DO NOT modify it or the gun gods will smite you...:facepalm:

If you really want an SKS to shoot the hell out of, buy a cheaper Norico and spend the extra money on ammo. Also consider that if you want a shooter rather than a collector gun, with $500 you are in the low end range for an AK. Best of luck with your purchase. SKSs are rad guns.

0321jarhead
04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
+1 on the Russian if you have $500 to spend, and want added potential value in the future. And don't just buy it because the person selling it to you says, "...it's a Russian SKS!" Make sure all the numbers match, and that it's in good shape before ya buy it (this is especially important if you buy online). If you obtain a nice Russia with matching numbers, DO NOT modify it or the gun gods will smite you...:facepalm:

If you really want an SKS to shoot the hell out of, buy a cheaper Norico and spend the extra money on ammo. Also consider that if you want a shooter rather than a collector gun, with $500 you are in the low end range for an AK. Best of luck with your purchase. SKSs are rad guns.

:iagree: PoorRichRichard I believe has a good point here. IMO, go to where the SKS originated from first, then move onto others that may be of interest to you. But, whatever SKS that you get, it is against the unwritten laws of C&R holders to bubba any weapon with all matching numbers. The penalties can be a ration a s**t by other collectors from this forum or others.:cool:

echo1
04-13-2012, 7:17 PM
Why, because of the election, or the 2013 cash and carry CA law?
Yes and no. The average SKS price is up 1/3 since October. The supply is finite and people are already buying ratty Chinese for $400+ now. Not only SKSs, but ARs & AKs (all guns) are flying off the shelves. Any more you have to jump on $300 if it remotely interests you. There are still some deals to be had, but you have to be lucky. PAX

Raptor3000
04-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Is it common to get all matching serials on Romanian SKS?

echo1
04-23-2012, 8:27 AM
Forced match no, arsenal match harder to find. mcmike, if you didn't get a hold of the Calgunner that had the Romy I refered to when you started this post, you missed a nice one. PAX

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
04-23-2012, 9:02 AM
Yes and no. The average SKS price is up 1/3 since October. The supply is finite and people are already buying ratty Chinese for $400+ now. Not only SKSs, but ARs & AKs (all guns) are flying off the shelves. Any more you have to jump on $300 if it remotely interests you. There are still some deals to be had, but you have to be lucky. PAX

like echo1 said luck needs to be at your side, it took me 2 months to find a good price on a "norinco sks para"

Kauf
04-25-2012, 8:05 PM
I just bought a Soviet SKS last week for $500 and love it. Haven't shot it yet but its all arsenal matching numbers (no electropencil) an wasn't rearsenaled. Get em while you can

SKSer45
04-25-2012, 9:07 PM
Yeah if you can find a Nice non-refurb Russian jump on it because they are getting harder to find. However a Romy is not bad either and prices are climbing up.

http://www.georgestragand.com/gunstockmarket/sales.php?firearm=3&listings=Both&searchwords=Romanian&excludewords=Yugo+China+Chinese+Norinco+Russian+Al banian&qstitle=SKS:%20Romanian

However its getting really hard to find matching Romys. But are fun shooters