PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 ammo confusion?

Travis590A1
04-09-2012, 7:05 PM

So I fired about 100 rounds of Tula 7.62x39 and about 20 of them had primers like this. The firing pin went all the way through the primers. I also had about 5 rounds that were "duds" the primers were struck very hard and had very deep hits from the firing pin but no bang. The remaining rounds fired and functioned just fine. I had 3 of my AK buddies take a look at it and they all said the same thing. That the firing pin was to long and not to spec. So I have ordered a few new firing pins just to compare sizes to confirm their claims. Another buddy thinks it could be the ammo but Ive never heard of Tula ammo having ftf especially 5 or 6 it just seems un-likely. So I was just putting this out there to see if any of you AK guys could give me your opinion on the matter. Thanks guys. Travis

PEZHEAD265
04-09-2012, 8:13 PM
Is it a WASR 10???

Yemff
04-09-2012, 8:25 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=8373951&posted=1#post8373951

AK all day
04-09-2012, 8:38 PM
I'm really hoping my WASR is a simple fix... When it was punching the primers, was it throwing carbon in your face through the back of the dust cover?

Kinsel83
04-09-2012, 8:45 PM
Wow, conspiracy?

MrPlink
04-09-2012, 9:51 PM
Are the newer WASRs having issues? I have an older one, tough as nails.

Travis590A1
04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
I was getting a little blowback in my face but it was getting my hammer and the internals of the reciever very dirty very fast...and no its an I.O. sporter.

TacticalPlinker
04-10-2012, 1:01 AM
Well your 1st problem is the fact it's an I.O. People bad mouth WASR's to no end, but I.O.'s are below that...

2nd, it may be the firing pin. It only needs to protrude a little bit, just enough to hit that little hole in the middle of the primer. In fact, the tip of the firing pin is rounded, almost as if to fit that hole. So the firing pin may not be up to spec, or was installed in the bolt improperly. You may consider taking it to a gunsmith or knowledgeable gun shop.

3rd, it could be a bad batch of ammo. But I doubt it, especially with 5 or 6 rounds, maybe if it were only 1 or 2 (even .22 bulk ammo has better odds)... I've shot probably a thousand rounds of Tula brand from my WASR, maybe more, without a single isssue. In fact, I can't remember a single Fail To Fire in my AK from any brand of ammo I've fed it. Rather it be foreign steel cased or domestic brass... Wolf, Tula, Brown/Silver/Golden Bear, PMC, Winchester, etc... Every round has fired without issue and any problems I've had were the fault of the magazine (fail to feed) or myself.

Good luck.

Mail Clerk
04-10-2012, 7:46 AM
I was getting a little blowback in my face but it was getting my hammer and the internals of the reciever very dirty very fast...and no its an I.O. sporter.

Travis590A1,

Give it a good cleaning and try a better brand of ammo and see what happens. I've been using Remington "green box" generic with good results in my IO.

Don't use that lousey Tula stuff. The only foregn ammo I'll use with good results would be Wolf but then I heard it's the same stuff/factory.

Good luck

Mail Clerk:oji:

chead
04-10-2012, 7:51 AM
Well this just got interesting..

zfields
04-10-2012, 7:54 AM
Travis590A1,

Give it a good cleaning and try a better brand of ammo and see what happens. I've been using Remington "green box" generic with good results in my IO.

Don't use that lousey Tula stuff. The only foregn ammo I'll use with good results would be Wolf but then I heard it's the same stuff/factory.

Good luck

Mail Clerk:oji:

Lousey Tula? If your AK doesnt run russian ammo, you have an issue.

fighterpilot562
04-10-2012, 8:21 AM
wow crazy two threads same problem

AKSOG
04-10-2012, 8:31 AM
Starting to sound like a QC issue.

Shrubmaster
04-10-2012, 9:46 AM
Are the newer WASRs having issues? I have an older one, tough as nails.

They're GTG!