PDA

View Full Version : Ruger gunsite scout ?

kris smith
04-09-2012, 4:53 PM
What's the word on this gun ? I handled one if feels really nice seems like its a good step towards an m1a. Any one have one and any feed back ?

AragornElessar86
04-09-2012, 6:47 PM
Wut?

No, just no.

Google both and you tell me if the Scout Rifle is a good step towards an M1A.

mlevans66
04-09-2012, 7:02 PM
Well it's not an M1A but it's still a good rifle for a lot of things and the price ain't bad. No I tell you this from experiance of having a Socom 16 and a Scout so it's just my 0.02.

TacticalPlinker
04-10-2012, 1:09 AM
Uhhhh... A Ruger Mini-14 might be a good step (and cheaper option) towards an M1A. But a Ruger Scout rifle? No. There is no comparison between the two. The only common feature besides both being firearms is the use of a magazine and 308 chamber.

The Scout rifle is a bolt action (M1A is not) and otherwise has no mechanical or design similarity that I know of to an M1A. Again, a Mini-14 has more in common, as does an M1 Garand or an M14. Those 4 guns are all built on a similar platform.

That said, I like the Scout rifle a lot. I want one. It's also 1/2 the price of an M1A, but again there is virtually no comparison.

CHS
04-10-2012, 1:27 AM
The Ruger Scout is a fantastic rifle, based on the very solid M77 action, but is nothing like an M1A/M14.

You just can't compare a bolt-action rifle to a semi-auto. Period. Ever.

That said, both platforms are excellent platforms.

Focus your question a little narrower, and we can give better answers. But just don't compare the two platforms or you'll be disappointed with any answers anyone gives.

weber_2
04-10-2012, 9:48 AM
Nice rifle, but I'd rather save up for an M1A and I did!

deadcoyote
04-10-2012, 10:32 AM
*COUGH COUGH* * WINK* I think I happen to have an affordable Savage 10FCM scout in classifieds right now. Sorry for the thread jack.

AndrewTannerCA
04-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I have 50 rounds through my scout so far. I really like it. since it's light and short, it kicks quite a bit, but it's manageable. I haven't had it out past 100 yards so far. The bolt has been smooth enough, and it'll get smoother as I shoot it. The trigger is excellent. Way lighter than I expected. Polymer mags are way better than the metal mag that comes with it.

cfusionpm
04-10-2012, 12:05 PM
All that being said, I own an M1A Scout and have handled the Ruger Scout in store a number of times. The first thing that came to my mind was "huh, this looks and feels like a bolt action M1A." Even down to the iron sights.

G-Solutions
04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Seems that your ultimate goal is the M1A... if that's the case then previous posts are correct that the Ruger scout rifle is no first step.... different concept and base system.

If you want pave your way towards an M1A I'd recommend saving your funds for the real thing.

In case you're looking for rifle that will allow fast, precise shots at intermediate distances, the Ruger is an option as well as the Savage that was mentioned before. One thing to keep in mind, especially if you want to run the rifle through a class is that it is likely to see a bit rough handling from going in and out of prone position and being slung and unslung frequently. The polymer stock of the Savage is quite a bit more forgiving in this respect.

CHS
04-10-2012, 12:24 PM
The correct answer is: Buy Both!

kris smith
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I plan too I like I have a matchin bolt gun for the semi I have a mini14 and an ar so I got an MVP I love it I want a m1a ad I saw the scout I figure it looks and feels really nice and looks like a bolt version on the m1a that's why I asked and also some thing to get more familiar with the 308 round

G-Solutions
04-10-2012, 1:31 PM
A bolt companion to a semi - sounds good. The .308 is a nice round for longer distances and with that in mind I'd recommend a rifle that allows mounting a regular scope rather than a long-eye relief optic. That way you will be able to take advantage of the full potential of the .308 round.

While the Ruger is a nice rifle, I'd prefer a Savage. They have several rifles out with extended magazines and their new Accustock combined with the proven Accutrigger - there's quite a bit of selection.

Personally, I have barely put the first rounds downrange with my Savage 10FCP-K, but I really appreciate the trigger. I'd go for another Savage bolt action in a heartbeat.

Just my $.02 worth.

CHS
04-10-2012, 2:26 PM
I plan too I like I have a matchin bolt gun for the semi I have a mini14 and an ar so I got an MVP I love it I want a m1a ad I saw the scout I figure it looks and feels really nice and looks like a bolt version on the m1a that's why I asked and also some thing to get more familiar with the 308 round

Periods and comma's dude. Learn to use them.