PDA

View Full Version : Display model sold during sale

frankm
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
OK, so I go to look at the Maverick 88 shotguns on sale. I wait for my number to be called and the guy tells me they don't have any more in stock, and he even sold the display model. He said they had a shipment in the back but didn't know if there were more in it and asked me to call back Monday. I have a request, if you're still selling them "on sale", don't sell the display model. How are we supposed to check them out before we buy?

PolishMike
04-09-2012, 12:29 PM
So you want a dealer to not sell his inventory so you can "check it out"?

You do realize retailers need to sell their product right?

ETA: and think if you got their earlier and wanted to buy it. They tell you all they have left is the display. You say ok, no problem I'll take it. Then they tell you they can't sell it to you because some guy may want to see it later...

frankm
04-09-2012, 1:13 PM
For a small-timer like you, no, for a big retailer, yes.

ke6guj
04-09-2012, 1:15 PM
Just shows you, Turners catches hell no matter what they do.

edit: that said, that does sound weird for Turners. Normally they would just assign that buyer a firearm from the warehouse and keep the display gun for display. But with the new software system being rolled out at Turners, I know that there have been inventory issues, and perhaps the salesperson wasn't able to allocate a NIB unit from the warehouse so he thought it better to just sell the display model to the buyer. because, I can already see the thread where they salesperson says "don't worry, we'll get one from the warehouse for you, no problem" and then come to find out, that Turner's was already sold out of back stock and all they had on hand were the display models. More might be coming in, but they might not get there in time to fill that customer's purchase. And that would be a 3+ page Turners *****fest.

frankm
04-09-2012, 1:33 PM
They are selling hundreds of each model, so you think they'd have one available so people could check it out. If they sold, say a couple of month, not a big deal. I just think it would make business sense. But that's just me and my widdle ol' opinion.

xoutxkastx
04-09-2012, 1:38 PM
I know for the close out model they will sell the display. Did you try asking them if another turners had one on display they could sell?

frankm
04-09-2012, 1:58 PM
I know for the close out model they will sell the display. Did you try asking them if another turners had one on display they could sell?

No, not that big of deal, just thought it'd be nice that I didn't have to come back.

Turner's Outdoorsman
04-10-2012, 9:18 AM
OK, so I go to look at the Maverick 88 shotguns on sale. I wait for my number to be called and the guy tells me they don't have any more in stock, and he even sold the display model. He said they had a shipment in the back but didn't know if there were more in it and asked me to call back Monday. I have a request, if you're still selling them "on sale", don't sell the display model. How are we supposed to check them out before we buy?

So you want a dealer to not sell his inventory so you can "check it out"?

You do realize retailers need to sell their product right?

ETA: and think if you got their earlier and wanted to buy it. They tell you all they have left is the display. You say ok, no problem I'll take it. Then they tell you they can't sell it to you because some guy may want to see it later...

It is a double-edged sword these days. Inventory is flying, so a lot of rack guns are virtually on the rack and sold in days. Given the scarcity of some guns, folks are more than happy to buy what we have.

We understand that you want to see it to buy it but we've got lot more buyers than we have have guns in a lot of cases. Using "sold" guns for displays is another hornet's nest because most folks do not like the thought of their gun being fondled for 10 days.

And though we're not the little shop these days, 14 guns (one for each store) times each model we stock is viable, paid-for, inventory that needs to turn at some rate, especially during this off-the-charts sales frenzy.

Just shows you, Turners catches hell no matter what they do.

:p

frankm
04-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Alrighty then.