PDA

View Full Version : PPT in Torrance on Saturday - one hour processing time

G-Solutions
04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I sold a rifle via Calguns ad and met the buyer at Turner's in Torrance on Saturday per his request.

The employee who helped us (Peggy), did the best she could but it still took roughly an hour to process the paperwork.

Comparison: PPT at JT's firearms about three weeks ago: 25 minutes.

monkeylice
04-09-2012, 1:44 PM
I sold a rifle via Calguns ad and met the buyer at Turner's in Torrance on Saturday per his request.

The employee who helped us (Peggy), did the best she could but it still took roughly an hour to process the paperwork.

Comparison: PPT at JT's firearms about three weeks ago: 25 minutes.

I am surprised that you were able to get it done in just an hour on a Saturday. Honestly, that doesn't sound too bad.

j0k3r11
04-09-2012, 2:48 PM
I did a PPT at that location on a Friday during lunch and it took about an hour as well. We only waited for 10 minutes on our number to be called. The rest was paperwork and the adding of info into their computer system. I prefer not to do PPT's at Turners anymore, but will if I have no other choice. I'll just have to browse at their displays a little longer :D

G-Solutions
04-09-2012, 3:20 PM
[...] I prefer not to do PPT's at Turners anymore, but will if I have no other choice. [...]

Same here....

G-Solutions
04-09-2012, 7:46 PM
PM Inbound

beemaze
04-09-2012, 8:37 PM
Turner's needs to designate one person to do PPT's and PPT's only and do them efficiently. I waited over an hour on Friday March 30th at this location for the PPT and when I went to pick the gun up today, that also took one hour.

That is ridiculous.

Not to mention, many prices for ammo are not labeled and when I inquired at the cashier for the price on bulk Blazer Brass Ammo, the cashier could not find it in the system despite scanning the UPC. Therefore, a loss of a sale.

I run a multi-million dollar corporation with close to 100 employees. These fiascos at Turner's are an indication of poor management and training, and makes me want to avoid the place like the plague....

psssniper
04-09-2012, 10:59 PM
My favorite FFL takes eight to ten minutes to do initial paperwork and two minutes to do the pickup. It's just ridiculous that Turners can't get this simple process done efficiently.

G-Solutions
04-10-2012, 7:39 AM
At my daytime job, we track our engineering hours that we spend on each assigned project. The more efficient the work, the less hours spent on the layout of the system the more efficient we run.

Turner's could service a lot more customers if they were to streamline their procedures. It's not just the PPT's. This constant inefficiency also applies to their regular sales (an hour for p/u of a newly purchased Savage 10 a couple of weeks back).

Let's look at private FFL's who manage to process paperwork in 30 minutes (conservatively estimating). Current best case scenario Turner's can do it in 45 minutes. Over the course of three hours the private FFL can process 6 transactions - Turner's can do 4 their efficiency is 67% of the private guy.

In other words, there's room for a 33% improvement. Now I'm a mechanical engineer and not a business major, but I have a hunch that this type of efficiency improvement applied over 14 stores may not be a bad thing for corporate revenue....

SemperFlexibus
04-10-2012, 8:07 AM
cease fire on the right... cease fire on the left... cease fire on the turners' firing line....

monkeylice
04-10-2012, 1:54 PM
Lots of people keep asking why Turners employees can't seem to do things quite as efficiently as they are done at some private FFLs. Is this not similar to asking why employees of Home Depot aren't as knowledgeable as employees of small, independent hardware stores? There are a lot of really good Turners employees, but its hard to staff a retail chain thoroughly with efficient people. They just don't have the same relationship and vested interest as people would when working at a smaller store.

Turner's needs to designate one person to do PPT's and PPT's only and do them efficiently.

It would be nice but I doubt they are going to create a position that is dedicated to a task that makes the company essential zero income. Perhaps more efficient PPTs would create better opinions with some customers, but does that mean they would be more likely to come in and buy new guns or just more likely to come in and create more non-profit PPTs?

I still think it would be a good idea for Turners to establish time during the week (like 5-9pm on weekdays) when they have one lane at the gun counter just for PPTs, pick-ups, and purchases from customers who know exactly what they want.

bodger
04-10-2012, 2:23 PM
The last time I did a PPT was at Martin Retting's in Culver City.We were in and out in about 25 minutes. We went in right at opening on a week day, but still I thought that was damn good. And they were real friendly about it too.

robz@turners
04-10-2012, 3:17 PM
PM sent to those who did PPTs. With the new software, the computer process at the gun counter should only take 15-20 minutes max.

G-Solutions
04-10-2012, 8:43 PM
Rob, thank you for the follow-up. Much appreciated!

beemaze
04-11-2012, 5:03 PM
PM sent to those who did PPTs. With the new software, the computer process at the gun counter should only take 15-20 minutes max.

Lol. Never received a PM. And I've spent tens of $K's at Turner's. (And wasted alot of time). Guess it's all hooplah on the part of corporate.

And yeah, there are gun stores that can compete pricewise, but not on business hours (which Turner's needs lots of).

bonzaiii
04-11-2012, 6:44 PM
Turner's needs to designate one person to do PPT's and PPT's only and do them efficiently. I waited over an hour on Friday March 30th at this location for the PPT and when I went to pick the gun up today, that also took one hour.

That is ridiculous.

Not to mention, many prices for ammo are not labeled and when I inquired at the cashier for the price on bulk Blazer Brass Ammo, the cashier could not find it in the system despite scanning the UPC. Therefore, a loss of a sale.

I run a multi-million dollar corporation with close to 100 employees. These fiascos at Turner's are an indication of poor management and training, and makes me want to avoid the place like the plague....

Really, you say you have spent tens of $K's at Turner's. (And wasted alot of time). That it's all hooplah on the part of corporate, that there are gun stores that can compete pricewise, That Turners have poor management and training yet you continue to shop there.
Seems to me someone that is as smart as you and able to run a such a large perfect corporation would have stopped dealing with Turners by now.

"Turner's needs to designate one person to do PPT's and PPT's only and do them efficiently."
Now there is a great Idea, so when we go in to buy something he cant help us, If he has no PPT's he just gets paid to watch everyone else work.
:facepalm:

beemaze
04-12-2012, 8:00 AM
Really, you say you have spent tens of $K's at Turner's. (And wasted alot of time). That it's all hooplah on the part of corporate, that there are gun stores that can compete pricewise, That Turners have poor management and training yet you continue to shop there.
Seems to me someone that is as smart as you and able to run a such a large perfect corporation would have stopped dealing with Turners by now.

Really, do you know me? Did I say I run a perfect corporation? No, actually you did. I have dealt with Turner's in the past 10 years, but see their quality of service declining year after year. So yes, I have spent tens of thousands of $$ there (and elsewhere) but don't spend nearly as much money there anymore and time on PPT's because of what I've had to deal with recently. When it comes to buying new guns, I now go with the likes of PD Gun Supply, OC Armory, Straightline Tactical, Honestly, if you would like to meet and see all my receipts, you'll see what I mean LOL. But I doubt you are man enough to do so, simply by your condescending tone, your sarcasm, and lack of substance in finding real solutions to real problems at Turner's.

QUOTE=bonzaiii;8386466]
"Turner's needs to designate one person to do PPT's and PPT's only and do them efficiently."
Now there is a great Idea, so when we go in to buy something he cant help us, If he has no PPT's he just gets paid to watch everyone else work.
:facepalm:[/QUOTE]

Really, who said that? Oh, YOU said that the one person would not do anything else, not me. That seems ridiculous. Putting your words into my mouth again. Common sense would dictate that person would have other assignments. But again you hide behind your sarcasm rather than come up with viable solutions to an existing problem of inefficiency at Turner's

PM to follow..

G-Solutions
04-12-2012, 8:37 AM
How about we keep it civil... this is not about egos, this is about a serious flaw in the system of a major firearm's dealer.

During my last two purchases Turner's efficiency lagged seriously behind their smaller competition. That's what we are here to discuss. I hope that Rob follows through and addresses these issues. If you have not received a PM, you may want to send one yourself or jump on their website directly and contact them from there.

If you are indeed a larger scale customer, point it out, list the references and let them know what your planned next acquisitions are and the timeframe you have in mind.

FISHNFRANK
04-12-2012, 7:35 PM
No more transfers at Turners for me...I did a handgun Swap at the Orange Turners store and it took an hour and a half. On Target in Laguna Niguel is getting to be the same way. I'm only using small proprieters for transfers now

Frank

Socalmedix
04-12-2012, 7:42 PM
It is really sad that Turners "new system" is the scapegoat for all their personnel problems. Stop blaming it on the system and take responsibly of the personnel that are working the desks... I refuse to walk into a turners again, my drive time to the closest one is 1hr and I spend at least an hour and a half waiting in line, all for a $10 discount.

No more....