PDA

View Full Version : My quick review of the Adams Arms 5.45 x 39 Gas piston upper

EvoXRiley
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
So i recently set out to purchase a 5.45 upper for cheap shooting and to stock pile ammo at a better price then 5.56. I previously owned a Smith and Wesson 5.45x39 upper and had Zero issues with that upper minus a broken extractor.

anyways i set out searching for another S&W upper before stumbling across the Adams Arms. I did some research and found the reviews were great for the company over all, minus a few dissatisfied customers.

So i went about and located a Upper from Riflegear, Called and verified it was in stock and it was the last one they had, so after hanging up the phone i made my purchase and waited, once i received the upper took it out of the box like a little kid at Xmas and inspected it to make sure all was well, also the upper shipped with a Wolff XO hammer spring and a 10 round 5.45 ASC Mag.

slapped it on my spare lower and threw on some spare stuff i had laying around( Can and Magpul AFG)

i took it out last weekend and put about 500 rounds without lube and had ZERO issues. Over all im very pleased with the upper and for the price its a great buy, quality and craftsmanship is excellent

The smith and wesson from local retailers runs $699 and i purchased the AA one for the Same price with MOE handguard.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/rps13drifter05/photo.jpg

ill do my best to keep the updates going and if any issues arise i will post them up.

CHEAP AMMO FTW!

OutkastSL
04-09-2012, 1:07 PM
I've been contemplating getting a 5.45 upper and am leaning towards it so I can stockpile the cheap ammo. Nice review. How accurate is the AA upper?

EvoXRiley
04-09-2012, 1:31 PM
I havent put it on any paper yet, but ive shot it out to 500 yards give or take and i was pleased with it.

OutkastSL
04-09-2012, 5:33 PM
I'd be pleased with it if I was able to hit 500 yards on steel, thanks.

EvoXRiley
04-10-2012, 8:54 AM
i put on a primary arms Micro red dot and put a battle comp on as well now. i have yet to shoot it, but i will update when i do possibly this weekend.

Also i was surprised at how light this upper was, after owning other Gas piston AR platforms the AA seems to be quite light compared to even the STAG.

renardsubtil
04-10-2012, 9:02 AM
I have one too (Carbine length base piston 556 model with MOE hand guards) and I've approaching 500 rounds without cleaning/lube shooting Lake City and American Eagle XM193...I love the accuracy on it (100 yards) with my Aimpoint ML3 red dot, I wish I'd have taken a photo of this past weekend when there was 0 wind at my range because I was able to make 2 MOA easily with just my elbows rested on the bench.

EvoXRiley
04-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Took it out today and ran another 600 or so rounds down it worked great! I recently installed a jp heavy buffer spring and the gun cycled great,next plan is a hydraulic buffer

gun toting monkeyboy
04-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I built a DI carbine using their barrel/bolt combo. I have been impressed with it thus far. Mine doesn't like Tula Hollow Points, but eats everything else I feed it.

EvoXRiley
06-09-2012, 10:37 PM
So far have about 2 k round through it,working great! No issues and is so cheap to shoot!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/rps13drifter05/3a783c7d.jpg