PDA

View Full Version : Collapsible stock on post-ban AR?

artoaster
04-09-2012, 9:05 AM
I have a PWA lower (purchased in 1999) mated to a post-ban 16" A2 upper purchased (early 2000).

It was registered and they sent me Assault Weapon Confirmation Notice in 2/2001

As configured then it had a crowned barrel (no brake or flash hider and unthreaded barrel), fixed, non-collapsible stock, pistol grip, no bayonet lug, standard mag release (no bullet button) and OAL of rifle is 34"

Question: if I want can I now add collapsible stock?

Will it need bullet button if I add the collapsible stock?

Will it need bullet button if I do either collapsible stock or change barrel to have flash hider?

:fud:

0351USMC
04-09-2012, 9:14 AM
you have RAW.
You can add collapsible stock,flash hider,use Preban Magazines without bullet button.

bohoki
04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
yep ever since 2004 you assault weapon is allowed to get even assaultier

Akers
04-09-2012, 11:00 AM
yep ever since 2004 you assault weapon is allowed to get even assaultier

"assaultier" I love it! My new favorite word of the week.

Sniper3142
04-09-2012, 3:05 PM
I've also got a PWA lower (Registered Assault Weapon or RAW).

You can have all the assaulting features you want on a RAW now that the bad old Federal Ban has sunset and gone away. You just have to keep the overall length at 26 inches or greater. And the barrel must be at least 16 inches.

So go wild!

:)

artoaster
04-10-2012, 9:17 AM
I appreciate the responses. Confirms what my research was saying. Also shows how stupid it all is.

I can show up with 30 round detachable magazines and no bullet button while the next guy can't, yet to do so is asking for trouble. Sure I have the document show the confirmation but the owner of a shooting range or an LEO is going to make an issue out of it.

Sniper3142
04-10-2012, 9:59 AM
I can show up with 30 round detachable magazines and no bullet button while the next guy can't, yet to do so is asking for trouble. Sure I have the document show the confirmation but the owner of a shooting range or an LEO is going to make an issue out of it.

Really?!? :(

With that kind of attitude, maybe you should just bury them in the desert.

You are not required to carry your registration paperwork with your RAW (but it is advised).

And if you purchased your LCMs (Large Capacity Mags) at the same time you purchased your RAW, then they are LEGAL to Own and Use.

artoaster
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
What attitude? I purchased LCM's a long time ago and they're legal to own and use. I have paperwork and it's carried along with RAW.

Isn't confusing, all these laws and the silliness? Why would I bury them in the desert?

Isn't it always going to be a problem when you mix users of RAW's and other AR shooters at a private or public range??

So, I guess I commenting only because I haven't taken these RAW's out to a range and wonder what is the attitude there.

Oceanbob
04-10-2012, 1:05 PM
I've had no issues at any range with my RAWs. Once I had my HK-91 and a 20 round mag; a couple of Police in the slot next door admired it so I let them each shoot 5 rounds. They had fun, said thanks and never asked a single question.
:)

P.Charm
04-10-2012, 1:23 PM
I would still need a BB if my preban lower was never registered, just sitting in a safe, correct?

or treated like any other post-ban lower.

Omega13device
04-10-2012, 3:04 PM
Isn't it always going to be a problem when you mix users of RAW's and other AR shooters at a private or public range??

So, I guess I commenting only because I haven't taken these RAW's out to a range and wonder what is the attitude there.

The short answer is no, it's not a problem. ARs have been commonplace at ranges for many years now. Generally speaking, no one cares what you're shooting. Just follow the law and make sure you understand how to transport your RAW and where you can take it (RAW FAQ here (http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=197295)).

Same goes for large capacity magazines.

The only thing I'd watch out for nowadays is the occasional crusty rangemaster at a public range; if he asks you what you're shooting when you sign in, don't say "I'm shooting a registered assault weapon." Just tell him you're shooting .223.

P.Charm
04-11-2012, 7:47 AM
I would still need a BB if my preban lower was never registered, just sitting in a safe, correct?

or treated like any other post-ban lower.

sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to know if I can run a preban lower that hasn't been registered without a bullet button and keep all the features.

artoaster
04-15-2012, 3:09 PM
P.Charm have you followed the flowchart for your pre-ban lower make and model (and/or rifle) to see if it fails?