PDA

View Full Version : Will I be hassled at the range?

sleepy
04-08-2012, 9:42 PM
Hey guys. I finished up converting my Saiga .308 today. It's a 22" barrel with a Tapco G2 trigger group, Hogue pistol grip and a Tapco Galil style folding stock. I have a 10 round magazine with a bullet button, and the overall length of the rifle with stock folded is 33". It is 922r compliant, so it's legal according to state and federal law. I'm going to Angeles Outdoor shooting range tomorrow, and my question is, will I be hassled because I have a folding stock? Will they bust out the ruler and measure it?

vta
04-08-2012, 9:46 PM
They mostly care about steel core ammo. You should be fine. Be aware that because it's an ak style rifle, they will keep an eye on you mostly because people shoot so much bimetal surplus ammo thru them.

04-08-2012, 9:47 PM
I say keep it legal, just to be on the safe side.
If its in legal lengths and configuration, I dont see any reason you'd be hassled.
If not, then I say again, keep it legal...

cfusionpm
04-08-2012, 9:57 PM
I've never once been hastled there for anything other than "Is that steel ammo!"

A friend of a friend was there a while back getting hastled by another shooter about his "pre-ban" 75 rd drum mag for his AK. Guy brought it to the attention of the RO, RO said "We don't care about that, as long as the ammo doesn't stick to the magnet. We aren't cops."

osis32
04-08-2012, 10:01 PM
You could always bust out the tape measure haha. I have an msar that's 31" no one says boo to me about it.

ott1
04-08-2012, 10:02 PM
I was just there today. I was the only one there with an AK. :D

ott1
04-08-2012, 10:05 PM
A friend of a friend was there a while back getting hastled by another shooter about his "pre-ban" 75 rd drum mag for his AK. Guy brought it to the attention of the RO, RO said "We don't care about that, as long as the ammo doesn't stick to the magnet. We aren't cops."

I'm annoyed by people who think they are a RO when they are just another shooter. Those peeps should mind their own business. If there's a problem, the real RO's will let me know.

peter95
04-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Y so u think you'll get hassled?

17+1
04-09-2012, 3:25 AM
Tell them to mind their own. ;)

baih777
04-09-2012, 3:41 AM
i have been up there three times now with my homebuilt AK thats still bare metal and the RO just looks at it and keeps walking. gonna finish it at the the next build party now that i know it shoots.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
04-09-2012, 4:13 AM
I've never once been hastled there for anything other than "Is that steel ammo!"

Was this friend using his mag in a featureless, bullet buttoned, or registered AW AK?

If in a bullet buttoned AK, then other shooter has a legit *****. He is witnessing the commission of a felony at a public shooting facility that he would like to not see shut down for aiding and abetting the commission of a felony. People running hi-caps in bullet buttoned guns are bad news for the shooting public. It is no different than building a machine gun or a silencer.

If it was a featureless or registered AW, then they should mind their business. I generally feel compelled to tell other shooters when I am shooting a registered AW. It takes care of those inquisitive looks very quickly.

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd.,Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(660)969-GUNS

T-F 12-7 W 12-9 Sat 11-5
Closed Sun/Mon

cfusionpm
04-09-2012, 5:53 AM
Was this friend using his mag in a featureless, bullet buttoned, or registered AW AK?

If in a bullet buttoned AK, then other shooter has a legit *****. He is witnessing the commission of a felony at a public shooting facility that he would like to not see shut down for aiding and abetting the commission of a felony. People running hi-caps in bullet buttoned guns are bad news for the shooting public. It is no different than building a machine gun or a silencer.

If it was a featureless or registered AW, then they should mind their business. I generally feel compelled to tell other shooters when I am shooting a registered AW. It takes care of those inquisitive looks very quickly.

I think it was actually a featureless SKS. I never actually met the guy, just heard the story through my friend. Having been to Angeles a number of times myself, I could see the RO's acting that way.

Merc1138
04-09-2012, 6:27 AM
I think it was actually a featureless SKS. I never actually met the guy, just heard the story through my friend. Having been to Angeles a number of times myself, I could see the RO's acting that way.

You can't have a "featureless sks" since an SKS with a detachable mag regardless of other features is an AW. See "appendix A" http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

f308gt4
04-09-2012, 6:51 AM
Hey guys. I finished up converting my Saiga .308 today. It's a 22" barrel with a Tapco G2 trigger group, Hogue pistol grip and a Tapco Galil style folding stock.

Pics? Would love to see some. I have a 16" Saiga 308 that I recently converted. Love that rifle.

mif_slim
04-09-2012, 6:57 AM
Just tape a ruler from muzzle to the folded point. No one will bother you. ;)

cfusionpm
04-09-2012, 10:50 AM
You can't have a "featureless sks" since an SKS with a detachable mag regardless of other features is an AW. See "appendix A" http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Interesting. I don't like the guy either way and never seen his gun in person. No idea on the details of it. But considering the questionable circumstances of his "pre-ban" drum mag (he's bearly in his early 20s), I'm sure he's less concerned about the consequenses than others like myself might be.

jloffermann
04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
They mostly care about steel core ammo. You should be fine. Be aware that because it's an ak style rifle, they will keep an eye on you mostly because people shoot so much bimetal surplus ammo thru them.

TOTALLY not trying to hi-jack thread, but is steel core ammo illegal in Ca? like a 5.56 steel core NATO round?

the green tip 5.56 by federal?

sharxbyte
04-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Interesting. ......(he's bearly in his early 20s), I'm sure he's less concerned about the consequenses than others like myself might be.

That was bordering on offensive... Some of us take great care to stay on the legal side of things...

Capybara
04-09-2012, 12:49 PM
TOTALLY not trying to hi-jack thread, but is steel core ammo illegal in Ca? like a 5.56 steel core NATO round?

the green tip 5.56 by federal?

Steel core is legal here but a great majority of SoCal ranges ban ammo that will attract a magnet for various reasons. Steel core ammo can hit metal or rocks and start fires (true). Steel core tears up targets and backstops (true). Also, most ranges will not let you shoot Russian aluminum and steel case ammo, probably because they cannot recycle/reload it.

Tracer and incendiary are illegal in California as far as I know, but not steel core. Can be hard to find a place to shoot it though although it seems as if a lot of Calgunners who live in the IE and south as well as central/northern Ca shoot all of the steel core and Russian ammo that they want. Less fire hazard, more desert BLM land?

cfusionpm
04-09-2012, 1:45 PM
"That was bordering on offensive... Some of us take great care to stay on the legal side of things...."
Oh, I know. And I make sure to keep all my ducks in a row as well. He seems to know the ins and outs of the laws well enough to talk his way out of most situations. I can't speak for the origin of his stuff, but he a
has always rubbed me the wrong way.

MongooseV8
04-09-2012, 1:52 PM
I'm annoyed by people who think they are a RO when they are just another shooter. Those peeps should mind their own business. If there's a problem, the real RO's will let me know.

I totally agree. Some nosey nancys at my local range sometimes. I often get interrogated when shooting my 16.5" encore carbine. Its half the size of most rifles but any chucklehead that's ever held a ruler could tell its legal. Doesn't stop some people from telling me I'm going to see jailtime for having an sbr lol.

roushstage2
04-09-2012, 2:14 PM
Sounds like how it should be IMO.

Ksmash01
04-09-2012, 6:54 PM
...and today, I saw someone hand assault rifles to a children...:eek:

I just smiled and made conversation. The kid(s) were excellent shots. To be honest, it wasn't my business if the gun was a RAW, or if they were LEO. I didn't really care, they weren't hurting me or anyone else. It looked rather fun to not have to use a tool to remove a magazine. Maybe next time I'll bring old featureless along...:facepalm:

It's only my concern if I get swept by a muzzle, or placed in a dangerous situation based on someone being irresponsible.

I wish there were more people, like myself, that could care less about victim-less crimes, especially when they involve laws that shouldn't be laws in the first place.

Saym14
04-09-2012, 7:05 PM
join a private hassle free range

ott1
04-09-2012, 7:59 PM
join a private hassle free range

Even private ranges have their share of shooters that think they are RO's.

cfusionpm
04-09-2012, 9:23 PM
There's always BLM land. :)

Aces and 8s
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
...and today, I saw someone hand assault rifles to a children...:eek:

I just smiled and made conversation. The kid(s) were excellent shots. To be honest, it wasn't my business if the gun was a RAW, or if they were LEO. I didn't really care, they weren't hurting me or anyone else. It looked rather fun to not have to use a tool to remove a magazine. Maybe next time I'll bring old featureless along...:facepalm:

It's only my concern if I get swept by a muzzle, or placed in a dangerous situation based on someone being irresponsible.

I wish there were more people, like myself, that could care less about victim-less crimes, especially when they involve laws that shouldn't be laws in the first place.

Pretty much this.

I would personally not break the law and any questionable items I posses are legal. If some regular Joe shmoe questioned me our finked for no reason to a RO , they would in the most polite way be told to pound sand, kiss my crack, and my their own friggen business. In that order.

Saym14
04-11-2012, 6:40 PM
Even private ranges have their share of shooters that think they are RO's.

not all private ranges. I havent seen that at WEGC. plus you can use a private berm in the back area for free and have your own private range to yourself.