PDA

View Full Version : Future AR-15 build

jcslone
04-08-2012, 9:24 PM
howdy everyone...new to the forum but not to firearms (been a Marine infantryman for over 4.5 years now and still going strong). I'm planning on building an AR-15 in the near future and I wanted to share my prospective build plans with you all and get your advice and input.

Base: Delton AR-15 CA Legal (Bullet Button incl), 16" barrel
Stock: Magpul MOE (comes with the base)
Pistol Grip: Magpul MOE (comes with the base)
Fore end: Samson MFG Evolution 9.5" extended
Piston System: Adams Arms Carbine Length
Irons: GG&G spring-actuated flip up front and rear
Compensator: Arredondo xNg
Primary optic: Vortex Viper PST 1-4x, mounted with Nightforce Unimount
Secondary optic: Burris Fast Fire II 4MOA red dot (offset 45 degrees shooter's right on Daniel Defense DD-15000 rail mount)
Ambidextrous Safety

I think I got it all from memory...anyways from the research I've been doing over the past few months, I think this weapon will be legal because of the bullet button and my intent to use 10rd mags with it (please please please correct me if I am wrong!).

When it's all said and done she'll be around $2600 and a combat tack driver (I plan on taking more advanced carbine training and later on competing). This will be my 2nd AR-15 (used to own a S&W M&P-15 and regrettably sold it last fall), and my first custom build. I might even drop in a Noveske barrel if I can convince the wifey that I have "good cause" (pun intended hehe).

your comments, concerns, input, and advice are wanted and welcomed.

cheers!

J.C. "Psycho" Slone
Task Force 1/7, Operation Enduring Freedom
USMC

osis32
04-08-2012, 9:38 PM
Everything looks gtg on there. Only thing I can say is double check the rail is compatible with the gas piston. If I recall correctly most samson rails are gtg just always smart to check these things pistons are not always compatible. Maybe look into an anti tilt buffer too hopefully you won't need to. Thank you for your service.

jcslone
04-08-2012, 9:49 PM
Thanks for the input osis, the Sammy rail is actually one of the ones marketed on Adams Arms' website and is fully compat (the extended model wraps around the sides and beneath the gas block...sexy indeed hehe).

My pleasure to serve. :-) I love this country (despite some annoying gun laws here and there lol) and I love the Corps. Semper Fi!

TDL2024
04-08-2012, 9:54 PM
For $2600 I think you could do better than Del-Ton and Vortex/Burris for your optics. I know my rifle isn't much but (excluding the piston factor) I'm around $1300 so far without optics, but everything else is fairly similar. I say keep an eye out for the best deals before you pull the trigger (no pun intended) on a purchase. I've found that waiting and doing a ton of google-fu has saved me probably 2-300 for my particular setup/needs.

osis32
04-08-2012, 9:54 PM
Two other things to check what height the front flip up sight is depending on where you're mounting it and the corresponding rail height. like I said before the buffer weight and check for carrier tilt. Laws here suck get as much awesome stuff as you can before they start banning everything.

osis32
04-08-2012, 9:57 PM
I agree I definitely think you could spend less and get better components.

jcslone
04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Ideally I would have purchased an LWRCI M6-G with a Leupold 1-4x SPR/T calibrated for the 62gr im gonna shoot, but that would have meant dropping $2600 at one pop (not quite feasible on a military salary with a wife and 2 kids). I still might go with the luppy in place of the Vortex but that remains to be seen. The Burris is a place holder until I decide to drop the bones on a Trijicon RMR. From there it'll go on a .22 ruger or something like that. perhaps a shotgun...

the gas block and rail will all be inline with the upper essentially making the top rail monolithic. Im not worried about the irons co-witnessing with the optic given that they're there in case the optic goes down (old Marine Corps habits).

As for the rifle itself, I was originally going to get another M&P-15 (I swear by those suckers, supremely reliable and very affordable), but the retailer I purchased my first one from no longer carries it sadly (I got it for $760 shipped with military discount). The Delton was an affordable option that had the buttsock and pistol grip I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. Of course, I will continue to google-fu and hopefully I'll find the M&P15 again someday...I'm a penny pincher and a bargain hunter at heart so i'll be looking for every possible way to save a buck or two throughout the process.

Oh I forgot to mention the giselle SSA trigger I'll be dropping into her as well. My dad has it and I absolutely love how it feels.

tradecraft
04-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Can you post prices on your parts? That seems awfully high for what you're getting.

SFgiants105
04-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I would recommend getting a POF P415, LWRC M6, Sig 516 or LMT MRP QCB. Also those are all piston driven and made by very reputable companies.

As far as your optics choice, I would rather get the EOTech MPO II or the Trijicon ACOG, but the Vortex is supposed to be a good optic. IMO, you should get iron sights and a cheap riflescope and then get a Leupold or NF 1-4 when you have more money.

I think the Sig is the best value in the piston class:
http://www.impactguns.com/sig-516-patrol-carbine-16in-556223-flat-dark-earth-30-rnd-mag-r516-16b-p-fde-798681436835.aspx

POF is my favorite for aesthetics and overall coolness, since it closely resembles the HK 416.
wMArJVzlOaw

jcslone
04-08-2012, 11:17 PM
prices...from memory...

Delton AR - $860 (incl all fees and shipping)
Samson rail - $170
Giselle trigger - $160
AA piston kit - $280
GG&G irons - $200 (100 ea) (they're some of the highest rated on the market currently)
Nightforce unimout - $250
Magpul trigger guard (forgot about it lol) - $20
Daniel Defense offset rail - $52
Burris FastFire II - $210
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x - $500
Arredondo xNg - $150
Ambi Safety - $20

adds up to about 2800 if what ive remembered is correct...much bargain hunting will be done lol...If I get a re-enlistment bonus I'll just be buying the LRWCI M6-G though so time will tell

jcslone
04-08-2012, 11:23 PM
I would recommend getting a POF P415, LWRC M6, Sig 516 or LMT MRP QCB. Also those are all piston driven and made by very reputable companies.

As far as your optics choice, I would rather get the EOTech MPO II or the Trijicon ACOG, but the Vortex is supposed to be a good optic. IMO, you should get iron sights and a cheap riflescope and then get a Leupold or NF 1-4 when you have more money.

I think the Sig is the best value in the piston class:
http://www.impactguns.com/sig-516-patrol-carbine-16in-556223-flat-dark-earth-30-rnd-mag-r516-16b-p-fde-798681436835.aspx

POF is my favorite for aesthetics and overall coolness, since it closely resembles the HK 416.
wMArJVzlOaw
Yeah I'd go with the M6-G if I could, the LMT was also an attractive option. I'm not a big fan of Sigs for whatever reason...I think they're overpriced (well at least their handguns).

My issued weapon (M16A4) has a 4x32 ACOG...I hate it lol. I've used the EOtechs in conjunction with magnifiers and they're so-so. It's just personal preference. My dad has one of the Vortex scopes (Razor HD model), on his bench AR-15 and it's an excellent optic. In a perfect world I'd drop $2400 on an ELCAN Spectre DR 1-4x but methinks the wife wouldn't like that so much... :rolleyes:

jcslone
04-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Update...just found the M&P15 Sport CA Legal (BB) for six hundo *YES!* $20 for the MOE handgrip and $70 for the MOE Stock saves me $170 right off the bat...

great...now im shopping again...this is bad... :P

wsmc27
04-09-2012, 4:25 PM
Sounds nice J.C.

There is a CalGunner that sells the Geiselle products at a great rate (or so I've read). Will try and figure out who that was...(or maybe he'll post up here).

I too, want a Geiselle someday. ;)

SFgiants105
04-09-2012, 4:32 PM
Update...just found the M&P15 Sport CA Legal (BB) for six hundo *YES!* $20 for the MOE handgrip and $70 for the MOE Stock saves me $170 right off the bat...

great...now im shopping again...this is bad... :P

Nice! It seems as though everyone is getting the S&Ws these days. From what I understand, they are superior to all the other low end ARs such as Del-Ton and cost the same if not less. For a mid-length rifle, you don't really need the piston. With carbines, it's a different story. Also, IMO, a lot of malfunctions with ARs come not only from the gas system but also the tight tolerances between the upper receiver and bolt carrier group and the gas system. ARs need more lubrication because more of the bcg makes contact with the receiver (basically, more surface area = more friction).

There is no doubt that piston systems are easier to maintain, but because of the AR's inherent design characteristics, the piston gas conversion alone will not be enough to resolve malfunctioning issues. So, I would just keep your M&P as a DI gun. If you want piston later on down the line, I would just buy a dedicated upper or new gun altogether. I own a Remington R15, which is basically just a 24" DI AR, and I own a POF .308, which is basically a piston SR-25. The POF is a breeze to maintain compared to the Remington, and because of the internal nickel coating and the roller cam pin, I never have to lubricate it. IMO, if you want to spend top dollar on an AR, you should get piston, because they are about the same price (less so for 5.56 than 7.62, however). But for a lower end AR or a build, I would just stick to DI.

Hope you have fun with your new toy :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, and post pics.

jcslone
04-09-2012, 9:12 PM
The S&W's are absolutely awesome! The first one I had (M&P15 ORC [Optics ready, compliant, meaning it had a pinned buttstock, also no comp or flash hider]) was by far the most reliable AR type weapon I've ever used. By the time I sold it I had ran probably close to 4,000 rounds through it with the only malfunction being a double feed due to an overloaded PMAG (somehow my ex had managed to cram 33 rounds into it..don't ask me how she did it...). Never had a FTE, brass-over-bolt, stovepipe, nor anything else weird save the one occurrence (I mostly shot American Eagle 55gr FMJ). With 68gr Black Hills SMK's I was able to hold a .5 MOA group from the unsupported prone position at 100 yards.

As for keeping the gun as DI, I have my reservations about that. My dad dropped the same piston system into the same M&P15 and the results (cooler running, significantly reduced maintenance, and better recoil control) were most pleasing (he also has an Arredondo xNG comp, Magpul CTR stock, and the Giselle SSA and a Troy free float rail on it). Having spent the past 4 and a half years maintaining and cleaning DI weapons (M16/M4/M249 SAW), as well as the M240B, I really don't have the desire to spend lots of time cleaning my personal carbine (when I shoot, I shoot a lot hehe). And with my high round counts, a cooler running weapon is a major plus (I've seen issued weapon barrels turn orange from the sheer number of rounds put through them non stop).

I daresay the M&P15 stacks up next to some Colt models in terms of reliability (and most certainly cost-effectiveness). A friend of mine bought a Colt LE model (DI, monolithic upper) and has had quite a number of FTE's and round-seating issues with it. While it may be just the QC on his particular weapon it convinced me that spending $1100 on a Colt was not worth it when I could get the same performance and accuracy out of a $700 rifle.

Should I ever venture into competitions then of course no expense shall be spared in obtaining the highest quality components, but that's years off from now.

btw...awesome vid SF :D

wsmc27
04-10-2012, 2:28 PM
re: triggers

The guy I was trying to remember is "Tier One Arms" here on CG. Have read good stuff on his service.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=8195035&postcount=10

jcslone
04-10-2012, 9:28 PM
re: triggers

The guy I was trying to remember is "Tier One Arms" here on CG. Have read good stuff on his service.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=8195035&postcount=10
thanks for the link!

frankm
04-10-2012, 9:33 PM
I would really consider a Solar Tactical grip wrap instead of a bullet button. Then you can drop mags all day long.

jcslone
04-11-2012, 8:31 PM
ok I looked it up and it looks interesting...from what I gathered from the manufacturer's website I can still trick out my AR and drop mags all day, just only with 10rd mags. hicaps only if featureless.

correct?

jcslone
04-11-2012, 8:32 PM
ok I looked it up and it looks interesting...from what I gathered from the manufacturer's website I can still trick out my AR and drop mags all day, just only with 10rd mags. hicaps only if featureless.

correct?