PDA

View Full Version : Can I build a Thompson?

ColdDeadHands1
04-08-2012, 9:23 PM
So I'm wrapping up my 1919a4 build and enjoyed it so much I want to build something else. Is it possible / legal to build a Thompson 1928, m1a1, or any other variant? The demilled (cut up) receivers can still be purchased and I've seen parts kits around before as well. Can the receivers be rewelded and shot? Is conversion to semi auto possible? Could I get the government's permission via some permit / tax stamp / license to own a FA?

I'm just putting out feelers here. I haven't done much research and really have no idea if this is possible. Any thoughts or getting me pointed in the right direction is appreciated! :13:

ojisan
04-08-2012, 9:52 PM
Given enough time and money anything can be made to work again.
ATF will not like you putting an old Tommy back together even as a semi-auto as they see it as too easy to drop in the full auto parts....in addition no new full auto guns can be made unless for LE or Mil use since 1986.
ATF made Auto Ordnance reduce the internal receiver height by 1/4" when AO made their semi-auto versions so the FA parts will not fit.
Unless you are LE, movie studios or other special class you cannot get a FA permit here in CA.

ke6guj
04-08-2012, 10:03 PM
So I'm wrapping up my 1919a4 build and enjoyed it so much I want to build something else. Is it possible / legal to build a Thompson 1928, m1a1, or any other variant? The demilled (cut up) receivers can still be purchased and I've seen parts kits around before as well. Can the receivers be rewelded and shot? Is conversion to semi auto possible? Could I get the government's permission via some permit / tax stamp / license to own a FA?

I'm just putting out feelers here. I haven't done much research and really have no idea if this is possible. Any thoughts or getting me pointed in the right direction is appreciated! :13:

I would venture over to Weaponsguild for more info on semi-auto Thompsons, http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?board=105.0

ClarenceBoddicker
04-08-2012, 10:22 PM
If you want to buy or build a West Hurley/Karr 1927A1 Semi Auto, check the overall length. Some use the 1928 style removable butt stock. I'm sure CA would measure it's OAL with the butt stock off.

microwaveguy
04-09-2012, 6:11 AM
Even if you manage to build one it fails the flowchart test.
Would need to do something with the pistol grip or a bullet button to be a legal semi-auto.

ElvenSoul
04-09-2012, 6:22 AM
Never seen a BB or Grip Wrap for one. Think your going to have to make your own. Are you planing on a stick mag or drum?

ke6guj
04-09-2012, 6:44 AM
there have been maglocks made for the thompson, but I would probably go with a gripwrap. you can easily make one yourself, or have one of the vendors make one for you.

calibrator
04-09-2012, 7:30 AM

If the Reciever (serial # part) was not on the NFA register prior to 1968, it is NOT an item that can legally be owned in the eyes of the BATF.(period) If you built a 1919A4 (-A4 denotes a FULL auto configuration) and have not registered properly with the BATF you should be careful. If you're looking for cheap thrills, get the Kahr Carbine and a short surplus Thompson barrel (I believe they will fit the Kahr ??) and register it with the BATF as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR). I also believe that the removable stock is legal at that point. But since you live in Cali, YMMV!

ElvenSoul
04-09-2012, 7:36 AM
As for the removable wood stock. Well I have seen pics of guys with Uzi's on CalGuns. Ask them what they did to affix the removable wood stock.

Another option would be to register it as a SSE Pistol. Just never put a stock on it. Search CalGuns for more info on SSE Pistols and AR Pistols.

ColdDeadHands1
04-09-2012, 8:13 AM
If the Reciever (serial # part) was not on the NFA register prior to 1968, it is NOT an item that can legally be owned in the eyes of the BATF.(period) If you built a 1919A4 (-A4 denotes a FULL auto configuration) and have not registered properly with the BATF you should be careful. If you're looking for cheap thrills, get the Kahr Carbine and a short surplus Thompson barrel (I believe they will fit the Kahr ??) and register it with the BATF as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR). I also believe that the removable stock is legal at that point. But since you live in Cali, YMMV!

My 1919 is NOT full auto. It is a semi auto conversion.

Thanks for the input from everyone else. Keep it coming.

Cowboy T
04-09-2012, 8:59 AM
I think it's, "once a full-auto, always a full-auto" in the eyes of the BATFE, unless you're a manufacturer like Century with their CETME rifles. Remember that Century actually manufactured their own receivers, though, and put semi-auto parts into those new receivers. What you're talking about is an existing full-auto receiver. They probably won't like that.

ke6guj
04-09-2012, 9:26 AM
I think it's, "once a full-auto, always a full-auto" in the eyes of the BATFE, unless you're a manufacturer like Century with their CETME rifles. Remember that Century actually manufactured their own receivers, though, and put semi-auto parts into those new receivers. What you're talking about is an existing full-auto receiver. They probably won't like that.
but if the receiver was cut up into pieces, "demilled", then it isn't a full-auto receiver. As long as it is rebuilt as a semi-auto receiver, then it isn't a full-auto receiver. AKs, BRen, MG42, UZI, PPsh-41, Soumi, etc have all had legal semi-auto receives built from demilled full-auto receivers, without ATF considering them to still be full-auto.

Capybara
04-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Well I have seen pics of guys with Uzi's on CalGuns. Ask them what they did to affix the removable wood stock.

My Vector came with a fixed stock. It takes a separate bracket setup that you would have to purchase to make a Cali compliant Uzi have a quick release wooden stock. And we can't do that here anyway unless we have a stupid 18 or 19" barrel. Mine has the 16.1" barrel, OAL with the fixed stock is a little over 31".

ElvenSoul
04-09-2012, 10:58 AM
A cut receiver is considered destroyed. Re-welding it is considered to make a new one. Guys here on CG have been doing this to AK (once upon a time full auto ones) for awhile now. Re-welding is home building.

mud99
04-09-2012, 11:31 AM
My understanding is the Thompson fires from an open bolt, which is a problem with the ATF, unless it was manufactured before 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_bolt

Thus, you would need to re-invent the action completely.

Probably the easiest way to build a Thompson would be to take a common rifle like an AK, and redesign it into something which resembles a Thompson.

Eddie1965
04-09-2012, 6:13 PM
Just get this:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/983203212/Guns/Rifles/Thompson-Subguns-Semi-Auto/THOMPSON_tommy_gun_45ACP_CA_LEGAL.htm

tujungatoes
04-09-2012, 6:24 PM
If you're good at fabricating you could do one of these.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37555

GMG
04-09-2012, 6:59 PM
Just get this:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/983203212/Guns/Rifles/Thompson-Subguns-Semi-Auto/THOMPSON_tommy_gun_45ACP_CA_LEGAL.htm

There is just something about a 16 1/2" that doesn't look right.

fal_762x51
04-09-2012, 7:06 PM
There is a cheaper home build Thompson clone kit on weaponsguild.com. I think it was Wild Horse Manufacturing who is producing it.

ColdDeadHands1
04-09-2012, 7:07 PM
If you're good at fabricating you could do one of these.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37555

Wow. That is impressive and I'm not anywhere near that good. I need existing parts kits and existing receivers to weld, fix up, modify, and fit together. That guy made a lot of his gun from scratch!

Capybara
04-09-2012, 7:45 PM
If you get a cal legal Thompson, skip the drum mags, they are horrible. Yeah, they give you the look but they are heavy and ungainly.

I would like to own a Thompson but I can't see spending that kind of money for a neutered version for Cali. Did that with the Uzi but it was a lot less money.

jmdove
04-11-2012, 7:34 PM
Actually you CAN weld up an old FA receiver as long as you have installed welded on denial pins which will prevent the full-auto bolt from being installed.

Also, the thing that makes the Thompson a full-auto is NOT the receiver
but rather the trigger frame. So the 1/10th inch difference in height does not
matter in terms of the semi-autos being, well semi-autos. That was done merely to keep full auto bolts from being installed in the semis and therby making them into full autos.

To do a homebuild you will have to modify the full-auto bolt to be a semi-auto bolt. And the full-auto trigger frame will have to also have denial pins on it to prevent a full-auto receiver from being installed onto it. The trigger parts will all have to be semi-auto to make it a semi-auto. But also, as per fed regs, if the disconnector should ever fail, the firing pin will have pin the cartridge to the feed ramp like it does on the SA Thompson (like Kahr or West Hurley).

DOVE