PDA

View Full Version : I'm wanting AR in .223 with 20" heavy barrel, A4 with quadrail and pop-up battle

Squid
04-08-2012, 8:30 PM
sights with either collapsible or fixed stock, and flash hider.

Anyone selling a bullet barrel version?

How much would it cost to have a shop slap one together?

Not a super duper National Match, etc, just a fairly basic version.

Can anyone tell me what I'm talking about, AR spec-talk wise, to make it easier on any shop I contact?

Aren't there any shops with a "build and price you AR online" set-up?

reidnez
04-08-2012, 8:31 PM
You're talking about an M16A4 clone. Available anywhere fine AR's are sold. Just buy the upper, stock, bullet button and LPK online, buy a stripped lower from your nearest AR-friendly dealer, slap it all together and voila...you're good to go.

clutchy
04-08-2012, 9:00 PM
I'm sure any of the great site sponsors would love to build you one!

Squid
04-08-2012, 9:18 PM
the 20" barrel for a 12" barrel, etc.

wouldn't you need to dial it in for sniper work after swapping in the 20" barrel, or does the AR system swap in new barrels so good you can do that?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2883

echotebarknwhale
04-08-2012, 9:30 PM
sights with either collapsible or fixed stock, and flash hider.

Anyone selling a bullet barrel version?

How much would it cost to have a shop slap one together?

Not a super duper National Match, etc, just a fairly basic version.

Can anyone tell me what I'm talking about, AR spec-talk wise, to make it easier on any shop I contact?

Aren't there any shops with a "build and price you AR online" set-up?

Try Jsesurplus.com, I bought my upper receiver there and was able to customize it to my liking.

OutkastSL
04-08-2012, 9:41 PM

wouldn't you need to dial it in for sniper work after swapping in the 20" barrel, or does the AR system swap in new barrels so good you can do that?

you just linked him to a 7.62/308 rifle.

milotrain
04-08-2012, 9:44 PM

I'm not sure what "sniper work" is so I can't really say if dialing it in for that would carry over to another barrel. However, if you zero the sights or an optic for one barrel it won't be zero for another barrel. It's not the platform which is at fault, it's the fact that every barrel on the planet is different, and those differences show up downrange. What they are talking about at the link is swapping a whole UPPER, not just a barrel. In that case you could have both uppers zeroed for their barrels and just swap and go. Note that you can't realistically have a 12" AR15 in california.

As others have said you really should build it yourself and just buy the upper. That link you posted is selling you an AR with a Geissele trigger. They are fantastic triggers but are around $200 more trigger than you need unless you have a very specific reason for owning one.

Go find someone who owns one and ask them and play with theirs, it will answer a host of questions you have.

Sleighter
04-08-2012, 9:51 PM
Squid where are you located? I live in the IE and can show you my AR which is similar to what youre looking for. I'd be glad to meet you and go over specs and let you see and handle it to get an idea for it.

Squid
04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
What I SHOULD do is join that "Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club" and shooting range 1/2 mile from my house and get some guidance.

yeah, I know it was a 7.62 AR I linked to. I guess they are swapping almost 1/2 the gun.

milotrain
04-08-2012, 10:58 PM
A 7.62 will use a different lower and a different upper, so it isn't compatible in any way with a 5.56/.223 AR.

This is a quick coverage of how it functions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHx6qdteFY

This is a good animation
http://www.bushmaster.com/anatomy_bushmaster.asp

This is a good breakdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61WKv720_Ow

OutkastSL
04-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Just to clarify, an AR15 is usually a .223/.556 and the one you linked is an AR10 or 308AR type AR that uses 7.62x51 or .308. Totally different rifles that looks alike but with different caliber ammo and non-interchangable parts.

What exactly will you be using this AR for? Mainly bench? Once you figure that out, it'll be easier for us to help you out.

Squid
04-09-2012, 2:04 PM
Mostly "In case they ban all assault weapons".

Now that I'm kinda getting into guns, I'm kicking myself for not buying all the cool things you could back a couple decades ago.

I'm not that good with iron sights, but want to get better, but still figure I'd mount optics fairly soon (either scope or red dot).

milotrain
04-09-2012, 3:44 PM
Good optics cost as much as a consignment revolver. Gun > Optics. Shoot irons. Get a 16" or a 20". Nothing too fancy. Build the lower, buy some stripped receiver from whoever is closest to you and an upper that makes sense. Stick with your standard flat top with a carry handle and a standard front sight. Personally I like the 20" more than the 16" but it's just a preference thing.

tacticalcity
04-09-2012, 3:48 PM
I've been doing a lot of this...

:facepalm:

...and this...

:banghead:

while reading this thread.

Which makes we want to do some of this...

:oji:

To the OP. Sounds like you want a range whore. A rifle that is great for plinking at the range that you can get a good level of accuracy with and have some fun days at the range. Nothing wrong with that.

Tip 1: .223 chambered rifles tend to be more rare than 5.56mm chambered rifles however. They are for shooting commercial .223 ammo only. You can never shoot surplus 5.56mm ammo. (there is an exception to this rule because there are two different kinds of 223 chambers). Most people get the 5.56mm chambered rifle instead, on the off chance that they need to shoot 5.56mm surplus they can do so safely. Because the 5.56mm chambered rifle can fire both 5.56mm and 223 safely. That said, if you want something for competition, then something chambered in .223 is a smarter choice. Me, I'm a run and gun guy so I prefer a 5.56mm chambered rifle. There is more to this and it is even more complicated than I making it out to be because of the two different kinds of 223 chambers, but the entire mess can be avoided by going with a 5.56mm chamber.

Tip 2: The 20" barrel is great for a range whore. Not too long not too short for range work. 100-600 yard shots will be a breaze. However, it is NOT ideal for running and gunning (home defense or CQB) and should you ever take a carbine course, you will wish you had a 16 inch carbine rifle instead. But based on your original post, that's not your goal. Just pointing out those 4 inches make a difference when maneuvering inside a building.

Tip 3: To whomever used this word..."Sniper work" is not something you will ever be doing. You're not a sniper on a SWAT team. If you were, this is probably not the weapon or caliber you would choose. Precision work...yes. Sniper work...no. While people know what you mean...you also sound like a 6 year old.

milotrain
04-09-2012, 6:24 PM
I was trying to be a bit more gentle than your tip #3. :D

I wouldn't say 600 yard shots with a 20" is a breeze. You certainly have to buy match ammo in heavier than normal weights to shoot 600 yards accurately with an AR chambered in .223, 5.56, Wylde, CLE, etc. If you want accuracy past 400 yards then you need to build a very specific AR, paying attention to the chamber, the twist rate, and the barrel length (if you are using iron sights).

I find it odd that so many people buy/build ARs for HD or "Zombies" etc. I've read a pile of NRA articles about HD and never does someone defend their home with an AR, it's always a pistol. If you want it for some sort of competition where a carbine excels, then get a carbine. If you want to fit it in a large ammo can then get a carbine. While there are many reasons to chose a carbine over a rifle, 90% of them are never actually utilized, and it becomes a "range whore" with dreams of zombies. But again 20" is my personal preference, it may not be yours.

zfields
04-09-2012, 6:48 PM
I find it odd that so many people buy/build ARs for HD or "Zombies" etc. I've read a pile of NRA articles about HD and never does someone defend their home with an AR, it's always a pistol. If you want it for some sort of competition where a carbine excels, then get a carbine. If you want to fit it in a large ammo can then get a carbine. While there are many reasons to chose a carbine over a rifle, 90% of them are never actually utilized, and it becomes a "range whore" with dreams of zombies. But again 20" is my personal preference, it may not be yours.

There was a very long article the other day on using your AR for HD in American Rifleman.

@ Tac City, plenty of people are running 20" Ar's in 3 gun, along with USMC with the m16a4's, so they seem to still have a bit of following outside of the "range whore" business :)