PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a AR-10 again...

thefitter
04-08-2012, 7:25 PM
Would buy a complete Armalite if I could but since I can't I'm thinking about a Noveske lower and buying everything else from Armalite.

I'm sold on the Armalite platform but any other thoughts or opinions on how to build it?

Any ADVISE would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jpach
04-08-2012, 7:36 PM
Well, Noveske no longer is making the N6. I would suggest getting an Aero lower and then slapping an Armalite upper on it, or buy a set of mega receivers (SR-25 type) but use an Armalite type barrel and BCG.

OutkastSL
04-08-2012, 9:39 PM
Start reloading your own ammo so you can shoot more! That's what I'm doing now, lol. I went with DPMS platform - TM-10 lower, DPMS upper receiver and bcd, and a rainier arms barrel. It's more of a budget build that I can upgrade on later on.

Jpach's advise on the mega receivers plus armalite platform barrels and BCG is a great combo. You can get Noveske barrels for it.

thefitter
04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Well, Noveske no longer is making the N6. I would suggest getting an Aero lower and then slapping an Armalite upper on it, or buy a set of mega receivers (SR-25 type) but use an Armalite type barrel and BCG.

Noveske said they are starting N6 production at the end of the year. How does Aero precision compare to Noveske?

Thanks

robert101
04-09-2012, 1:24 PM
I went with the complete DPMS upper assembly & 20" barrel. Then added the TM lower and added a Nikon 6-18X40 Bushmaster MilDot scope. I'm having so much fun with this gun that I can't wait for the next range (or desert) visit. I do reload and the upper is very user friendly to brass. I'm on my 10th loading on both Winchester and NATO stamped brass without any thinning at the base.

thefitter
04-12-2012, 8:34 AM
Same,
Aero manufactures lots of Armalites products.
it really boils down to which marking on the side you like better.
I think the iron cross looks cooler than the logo that aero uses. Other than that, a lower is a lower.

Best place to get a Aero lower? I found them at surplusammo.com but they don't sell to CA.

Thanks

Hoop
04-12-2012, 10:42 AM
762sass.com

Personally I'd go with a tactical machining lower and a dpms upper. There's nothing about the armalite pattern that makes it better than the others and it will cost you more $$$ vs. DPMS.

Better yet, get a mega machining upper/lower set. 600 same cost as armalite upper+lower and better machining quality and you KNOW they will fit together well (sometimes when you get a lower and an upper the fitment is too tight or loose, not so with mega sets as they are test fitted prior to sale).

edit: rainierarms for mega set

thefitter
04-12-2012, 10:51 AM
762sass.com

Personally I'd go with a tactical machining lower and a dpms upper. There's nothing about the armalite pattern that makes it better than the others and it will cost you more $$$ vs. DPMS.

Better yet, get a mega machining upper/lower set. 600 same cost as armalite upper+lower and better machining quality and you KNOW they will fit together well (sometimes when you get a lower and an upper the fitment is too tight or loose, not so with mega sets as they are test fitted prior to sale).

Thanks for the 762sass referral, that's even a better price.

Dark Mod
04-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Anyone have any info on what the cheapest build would be? would it be possible to build one for around $1000?

Hoop
04-12-2012, 11:02 AM
You're welcome.

Like I said though the mega set is better.

Hoop
04-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Anyone have any info on what the cheapest build would be? would it be possible to build one for around $1000?

Not really.

I hear there are CMMG complete rifles for around that price start looking at those.

Arnelcheeze
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
MEGA is the best, while its not an AR10 or a LR308, its the best of both worlds...
I just finished it
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/osg/Buzzards/IMAG1164.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/osg/Buzzards/IMAG1071.jpg

OutkastSL
04-12-2012, 2:57 PM
TM now has the upper receivers available so you can go that route with their lowers.

Phil3
04-12-2012, 7:29 PM
Would buy a complete Armalite if I could but since I can't I'm thinking about a Noveske lower and buying everything else from Armalite.

I'm sold on the Armalite platform but any other thoughts or opinions on how to build it?

Thanks

You asked HOW to build it. I am not sure if that means how to assemble or what parts to use, but will tell you what I am doing...and why. Using Armalite because I just prefer Armalite, the original, to DPMS.

- Noveske N6 lower. It is what I have.
- Any brand bullet button kit.
- A2 Armalite stock. I have no need for the fancy stocks. The A2 is fine.
- Armalite buffer and spring. Why not Armalite?
- Armalite mags. Only choice that I know of.
- Geiselle trigger. Best out there in my opinion and needed for best accuracy.
- Armalite lower parts kit. Available for cheap w/o trigger.
- Armalite upper. I got an early one w/o forward assist (I prefer w/o).
- Armalite bolt and carrier assembly (only one available).
- Armalite charging handle. No need for anything fancier.
- Krieger barrel. Armalite is OK, but wanted top accuracy. 22" most likely.
- Evolution Gun Works gas block (clamp on type, which I prefer).
- Armalite gas tube (rifle length).
- JP Handguard. Armalite is OK and cheap, but liked the JP better. Skinnier.
- Ben Cooley muzzle brake. I prefer this brake.
- Burris PEPR scope mount. Armalite is fine, but on my AR15, a tad low.
- Vortex PST 6 - 24 x 50 scope w/MOA reticle. Ideal for target shooting.

Phil

Hoop
04-12-2012, 8:06 PM
Armalite company now isn't the original Armalite.

As far as barrels go the Rainier Ultra Match drop ins are crazy good for the price I would get an 18" in a heartbeat were I in the market. Also consider a bobro or adm mount and some flip ups as they are fun to shoot open sights as well.

thefitter
04-14-2012, 10:52 AM
You asked HOW to build it. I am not sure if that means how to assemble or what parts to use, but will tell you what I am doing...and why. Using Armalite because I just prefer Armalite, the original, to DPMS.

- Noveske N6 lower. It is what I have.
- Any brand bullet button kit.
- A2 Armalite stock. I have no need for the fancy stocks. The A2 is fine.
- Armalite buffer and spring. Why not Armalite?
- Armalite mags. Only choice that I know of.
- Geiselle trigger. Best out there in my opinion and needed for best accuracy.
- Armalite lower parts kit. Available for cheap w/o trigger.
- Armalite upper. I got an early one w/o forward assist (I prefer w/o).
- Armalite bolt and carrier assembly (only one available).
- Armalite charging handle. No need for anything fancier.
- Krieger barrel. Armalite is OK, but wanted top accuracy. 22" most likely.
- Evolution Gun Works gas block (clamp on type, which I prefer).
- Armalite gas tube (rifle length).
- JP Handguard. Armalite is OK and cheap, but liked the JP better. Skinnier.
- Ben Cooley muzzle brake. I prefer this brake.
- Burris PEPR scope mount. Armalite is fine, but on my AR15, a tad low.
- Vortex PST 6 - 24 x 50 scope w/MOA reticle. Ideal for target shooting.

Phil

Thanks

What is your estimated cost for that build?

Is there a AR-10 build spread sheet out there? I have one for building a M14 and it's very useful for getting your parts together and tracking your costs.

Cypriss32
04-14-2012, 11:43 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/adam5432002/004-4.jpg

Aero lower
Armalight NM upper
JP free float
RRA LPK
2 stage NM trigger
A2 milspec stock
Weaver 3-10x tactical (untill I get a new vortex)

Phil3
04-14-2012, 3:50 PM
For everything shown, about $3,200. If that sounds like a lot, it is. But, that includes a $750 scope, a $500 barrel, a $279 trigger, a $257 bolt carrier assembly. Those things alone are nearly $1800.

I made my own spreadsheet for laying out parts (in groups), part numbers, shipping, tax, DROS fees, what has arrived and what has not, how much money I have spent, how much more to go, etc. It does what you want and more. If you want it, I can send to your personal e-mail.

Phil

Thanks

What is your estimated cost for that build?

Is there a AR-10 build spread sheet out there? I have one for building a M14 and it's very useful for getting your parts together and tracking your costs.

Arnelcheeze
04-14-2012, 4:59 PM
My build sheet. - I just head spaced her, Fulton-Armory heavy match barrel 20inch & DPMS bolt, perfect headspacing no adjustments needed.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/osg/Matenbuild1.jpg

thefitter
04-14-2012, 6:00 PM
For everything shown, about $3,200. If that sounds like a lot, it is. But, that includes a $750 scope, a $500 barrel, a $279 trigger, a $257 bolt carrier assembly. Those things alone are nearly $1800.

I made my own spreadsheet for laying out parts (in groups), part numbers, shipping, tax, DROS fees, what has arrived and what has not, how much money I have spent, how much more to go, etc. It does what you want and more. If you want it, I can send to your personal e-mail.

Phil

Thank you, PM sent.

Phil3
04-14-2012, 9:57 PM
Hi,

I sent you the spreadsheet. I hope it helps. I took out how much more money I have left to spend, since I need to spend what the rifle needs, or just not do it all.

Phil

The Gleam
04-14-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks

Armalite now has an AR15 OLL receiver for CA, same logo, different name/model number; I was holding it in my hands at a dealer the other day thinking to myself "Boy, it's nice to see that little lion again".

Discussion ensued, and there was suspicion they will be coming out with an AR10 OLL for CA. How soon? I have no idea. Definitely not "two weeks" but it could be within a year.

The Gleam
04-14-2012, 11:19 PM
My build sheet. - I just head spaced her, Fulton-Armory heavy match barrel 20inch & DPMS bolt, perfect headspacing no adjustments needed.

That build-sheet/list is a great guide, thanks! Mega receivers are excellent, and I have a few of their AR15 receivers with the "Gator" grip front.

I bought 2 Fulton Armory AR10 receivers when they first came out at $275 a piece, which I couldn't pass on the price (they were running about $400 each at that time, and go for $350 now). There wasn't much available in the way of OLL AR .308 receivers at that time, which was prior to Noveske or others making them.

The down side with the Fultons is that they are DPMS based, and I have a good number of AR10 magazines and parts left over from the 1980s/1990s. :(

Anyway, I have yet to build the Fultons; good intentions at the time, but work and other projects got in the way. I was in no rush. But if Armalite gets an OLL AR10 out before I build the Fultons, I'll be selling those. :)

thefitter
04-15-2012, 9:04 AM
Armalite now has an AR15 OLL receiver for CA, same logo, different name/model number; I was holding it in my hands at a dealer the other day thinking to myself "Boy, it's nice to see that little lion again".

Discussion ensued, and there was suspicion they will be coming out with an AR10 OLL for CA. How soon? I have no idea. Definitely not "two weeks" but it could be within a year.

Right, Armalite told me that the CA Aero/Armalites that they are producing now are "interim" and that they are coming out with their own CA branded rifles.

dabears
04-15-2012, 12:12 PM
did armalite say which/all rifles would be CA compliant I would love to get the M15A2 Carbine.Was there any timetable as to when they're coming out/

The Gleam
04-15-2012, 12:16 PM
did armalite say which/all rifles would be CA compliant I would love to get the M15A2 Carbine.Was there any timetable as to when they're coming out/

Well, I was at a CA dealer and holding one in my hands (AR15). It appeard to be an M4 like size. I wish I could recall the model number. Sorry. Put it this way; I have to go back to the dealer for a pick up next weekend, and if it's still there, I'll take note of the Armalite AR15 model it is and report back. :)

thefitter
04-15-2012, 12:21 PM

I was only discussing the AR-10 with them. I do not know about the M15s.

shadowofnight
04-15-2012, 1:31 PM
762sass.com

Just built mine last night, I also used the tactical machining lower...and built my own upper from scratch.

I went with 260 Remington, kept my barrel lighter...it's sole purpose in life will be banging metal on the 500 meter Silhouette range.

I also went featureless( Changed out the standard screws for button head stainless with half thickness nylock nuts on the backside ) , and wanted a lot of contrast black/chrome/stainless....the only thing that hasnt arrived is the stinking stock. As soon as that gets here, its go time.

The new JP Enterprises gas blocks , are a lot nicer than their earlier versions....used one of their muzzle brakes as well.

I went Fulton Armory for the bolt carrier, and LUCKED out finding a DPMS 308 bolt...they are like hens teeth right now.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145386&d=1334521668

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145387&stc=1&d=1334521727

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145388&stc=1&d=1334521727

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145389&stc=1&d=1334521727

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145390&stc=1&d=1334521727

shadowofnight
04-15-2012, 1:33 PM
Uno Mas...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145391&d=1334521947

GettoPhilosopher
04-15-2012, 4:19 PM
the only thing that hasnt arrived is the stinking stock. As soon as that gets here, its go time.

What kind of stock are you going with?

shadowofnight
04-15-2012, 4:56 PM
What kind of stock are you going with?

I have one of these on order... Magpul MOE rifle stock, supposed to be out soon ( 4/22/12 )

http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/03/26/new-magpul-moe-rifle-stock/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/P1120178-1024x684.jpg

But spotted one of these for an amazing price of 49 dollars on sale at VLTOR :eek: , still gonna keep the order for the new Magpul....it will go on something.

http://www.vltorstore.com/clearance-arm-rifle-stocks/

http://www.vltorstore.com/product_images/v/263/ARMALL__88147_zoom.jpg

GettoPhilosopher
04-15-2012, 5:03 PM
I have one of these on order... Magpul MOE rifle stock, supposed to be out soon ( 4/22/12 )

But spotted one of these for an amazing price of 49 dollars on sale at VLTOR :eek: , still gonna keep the order for the new Magpul....it will go on something.

Nice! I really wish I could go featureless on my precision AR308, but everything I've been told is that the PRS is iffy for featureless. :(

I'm waiting to pick up a MOE Rifle Stock for my Dissipator tho.