PDA

View Full Version : Dems and NRA working together.

6172crew
04-21-2007, 9:25 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267620,00.html
WASHINGTON House Democratic leaders are working with the National Rifle Association to bolster existing laws blocking mentally ill people from buying guns.

Im having a hard time finding any reason not to back better background checks. 5150s shouldnt be allowed to own firearms but I wonder how they will be getting this info?:)

wilit
04-21-2007, 9:37 AM
The key is we need to improve the communication between all the different systems and agencies. More laws couldn't have prevented this tragedy, but better communication sure could've.

DedEye
04-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Sounds like a good thing.

Ghugly
04-21-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm not against it, if that's as far as it goes. And that's a huge if.

mark3lb
04-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Maybe there will be benefits of having a working relationship with Dems and the NRA, but Dems better not forget the power of the NRA and see this working together as a sign of weakness or losing ground on protecting American's rights to bear arms.

M. Sage
04-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't think that's how this came about at all. Lately, you've seen Democratic leaders and left-wing press moaning about the "all-powerful gun lobby." This smacks of a small surrender (at the least) on the part of the Democratic party.

They're beginning to see the light of day. I'm not saying they're all "converts," but we've at least won some respect.

The first few times I read about the "powerful gun lobby," it made me mad, till I realized that it IS powerful. And why is it powerful? Because of us, guys. Because of us. We are that gun lobby!

Rob454
04-21-2007, 10:45 AM
But then again you invade the doctor patient priviledges which is personal info. its sort of a catch 22. because as soon as you open it up with a litle pinhole the whole thing comes rushing out. i think what needs to be down is people themselves need to be more aware of the world around them. Why didnt the cops bust the door down and go in? Ok it was locked a bolt cutter or a damn car woudl bust the doors open. you hear shooting and from the video theire jsut crouched down looking around. Yeah the guy was completely bat *** crazy. all I can say you can make all the rules and regs you want but if someone wants a gun theire gonna get one. law or no law

ROb

troyPhD
04-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Sometimes you gotta throw the dog a bone.

M. Sage
04-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Why didnt the cops bust the door down and go in? Ok it was locked a bolt cutter or a damn car woudl bust the doors open. you hear shooting and from the video theire jsut crouched down looking around. Yeah the guy was completely bat *** crazy. all I can say you can make all the rules and regs you want but if someone wants a gun theire gonna get one. law or no law

ROb

Car? Bolt cutter? Hell, they could have opened the door with a 12 gauge...

xenophobe
04-21-2007, 11:18 AM
But then again you invade the doctor patient priviledges which is personal info.

What are you talking about? Doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors, etc... are already required to notify the police if they've committed a felony like child molestation, rape, murder, or have a gunshot wound, signs of abuse, etc...

And if they have a patient that is obviously a danger to themselves or others due to some kind of mental imbalance; admitted schizophrenia, major or psychotic depression, etc... Then they should notify the federal government, as long as there is documented proof of violent and erratic behavior, and there is some kind of qualified medical review process to appeal to... and the bar should be relatively high and status should only be temporary until adjudicated by a court as mentally defective.

As for reporting someone already adjudicated, it's already supposed to be reported...

hoffmang
04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
As long as it takes a judge to rule on the mental issues, there are due process abilities to go back and get it removed later, and the disablement is temporary (like California's 5 years) and not permanent, I'm a big supporter.

I've had mental illness effect my family. My dad and I used to have to trade gun parts to make sure bad things didn't happen...

-Gene

JGarrison
04-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I had a 5150 5 years ago, last year went to court and had it removed. I fully support anyone with a 5150 not being allowed to own firearms. Sometimes you get 5150's when it's not what is needed, but the process to get it removed is very easy, I did it myself.

MrTuffPaws
04-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I can run with this, but some *** somewhere is going to add a rider to it.