PDA

View Full Version : So I got a Remington...

bobgengeskahn
04-08-2012, 7:30 AM
Remington 341P waiting in jail right now. What if anything has anyone heard about this rifle? I have done a bit of internet searching with little success. There is one good discussion over at rimfirecentral.com where someone did a restoration, but thats about it. Most of the things I have heard say that they are classic tac drivers.

The shop I got it from had a few, but this one had the least external bluing blemishes, and I'd like to do a little restoration work on it. The stock is American black walnut c.1938 and everything is super hard steel. The internal feed ramps look like they will need some cleaning, so I'm planning to break down the whole thing right after I pick it up and polish everything on the inside, is there any particular way to do this properly? i.e. solvents to use/not to use, grease to use etc. I have never stripped and cleaned a rifle to the extent I am planning to clean this one up, hense the questions (I've never bought a rifle this old before). I'm also planning to re-finish the stock, but thats just basic wood work. Thanks!

troutbum54
04-08-2012, 9:06 AM
I see you already got some good answers over at rimfirecentral. Most people recommend leaving it as original as possible as far as re-blueing or stock refinishing goes. I have a 341 and you're right there isn't a lot of info on them, but with only @ 130,000 made there probably won't be. I did find something you might like on how to disassemble the bolt.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397788
As far as cleaning I just use some Hoppe's, Simple green and some Rem oil, bunch of picks and brushes. There really aren't a lot of parts there. Good luck and enjoy. I love mine.

bobgengeskahn
04-08-2012, 9:18 AM
Are you WJR over there? If so, nice work on your rebuild! That thread has been kind of a guide for me while I've been looking into this project. The more that I (slowly) read about this rifle the more excited I get to go out and try it... I might even like it enough to go pick up the other one I saw in the shop...

troutbum54
04-08-2012, 9:45 AM
nope that's not me.
I think you might be kicking yourself someday if you don't get the other one. Unless of course the price is way too high. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

troutbum54
04-08-2012, 9:52 AM
was this the thread you were referring too? lot's of good stuff there.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290576

bobgengeskahn
04-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Naw, this one: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390356&highlight=341+sportmaster&page=4, but that is a really good one too, a lot more work there than the one I found.

I picked it up on a whim in the first place since I was looking for a cheap bolt action in the first place, mainly to teach my girl friend, so it was ~$170 (before DROSS and stuff). The other one was less... I think around ~$140. but after all the good things people have been saying I think I might want one for me to play with too since she probably won't want to give it up :P

Would you happen to know if any of them came from the factory with a shroud over the front sight post? Both the one I got and the other one have shrouds over the front posts but I haven't seen anything on the internet with sights like that. They were both marked 341-P on the barrel and I'm trying to figure out if it was an aftermarket add on or if there were models that came like that...

Edit: WOW! Just went through that link you posted, some amazing work in there...

troutbum54
04-08-2012, 9:09 PM
Would you happen to know if any of them came from the factory with a shroud over the front sight post? Both the one I got and the other one have shrouds over the front posts but I haven't seen anything on the internet with sights like that.
Edit: WOW! Just went through that link you posted, some amazing work in there...
I don't have the P (peep sight) version, but I believe they came with a hooded front sight that uses insert discs. See if this shows what you have.
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=84542

bobgengeskahn
04-11-2012, 9:44 AM
The one in post #19 is what I have, plus what appears to be a factory weaver scope from what I have been reading. I'll have to verify that once I can actually pick it up though.