PDA

View Full Version : Turner's Norwalk lost my business.

kimo308
04-07-2012, 11:55 PM
I went into their store today with $2500 cash on hand and ready to buy knowing what I want, no bs needed. Soon as I walked in, I grabbed a number and saw that I was next, cool. More than 45 mins pass and I'm still standing there. I only waited patiently because I was suppose to be next. Meanwhile, one employee is story telling with some customers who are just window shopping. Another is showing/teaching some guy who just bought a gun how to load, unload and handle his new pistol. I watched this "lesson" for almost 45 mins and can honestly say that this guy should not own a gun... yet. He was so clueless and helpless it's scary that this guy is about to bring a gun home untrained, undisciplined and clueless. Nothing wrong with BSing with customers and sharing stories, but when you see a bunch of customers standing there waiting, please try to expedite. And two guys behind the counter seem o be doing inventory, lol. Good time to do that. Then a guy who had just walked in was helped right away and he didn't even have a number. Meanwhile there were three of us with numbers waiting. FAIL! I was ready to buy the LMT on your shelf but walked out with my cash instead. When they went up to help the guy cutting in I raised my number and had another guy come help me only to disappear for who knows how long. The guy after me was pissed and was skipped after they forgot to use their numbering system. Then when the next number was called it was three numbers from his and he was like WTF? So after witnessing all this i was outta there. Gave my business to Ammo Bros. BTW, I told them this experience and they said thank you Turner's.

AK all day
04-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Nothing new here....

gwanghoops
04-08-2012, 1:37 AM
Helping the truly gun-stupid is in everybody's best interest, and, it appears that Turners gets more than their fair share of gun-tards. It just seems to me that every local gun store seems to have hordes of buyers especially right after work and weekends.

freonr22
04-08-2012, 1:39 AM
You are frustrated they were busy and spending time with customers?

kimo308
04-08-2012, 2:01 AM
You are frustrated they were busy and spending time with customers?

Easy....before this thread gets spun. Read everything I wrote.

freonr22
04-08-2012, 2:11 AM
I went into their store today with $2500 cash on hand and ready to buy knowing what I want, no bs needed. Soon as I walked in, I grabbed a number and saw that I was next, cool. More than 45 mins pass and I'm still standing there. I only waited patiently because I was suppose to be next. Meanwhile, one employee is story telling with some customers who are just window shopping. Another is showing/teaching some guy who just bought a gun how to load, unload and handle his new pistol. I watched this "lesson" for almost 45 mins and can honestly say that this guy should not own a gun... yet. He was so clueless and helpless it's scary that this guy is about to bring a gun home untrained, undisciplined and clueless. Nothing wrong with BSing with customers and sharing stories, but when you see a bunch of customers standing there waiting, please try to expedite. And two guys behind the counter seem o be doing inventory, lol. Good time to do that. Then a guy who had just walked in was helped right away and he didn't even have a number. Meanwhile there were three of us with numbers waiting. FAIL! I was ready to buy the LMT on your shelf but decided to throw my number away and walk out. Gave my business to Ammo Bros. BTW, I told them this experience and they said to tell you guys thank you for the business.
By expedite, yes they should have more staff. But if by expedite, like they should hurry up and not educate the ignorant? Actually sounds like they are trying really hard, and why didnt you say something?

philobeddoe
04-08-2012, 2:13 AM
yeah, i read it, walk over to the manager, show him $2500 cash money, and say you want to 'do it quick, in and out' and hopefully he gets it done for you, otherwise I can see him taking you in the break room for a quick in/out

most stores are happy to take your money;
sounds like they were helping other customers and were unaware you are a spendy big baller

RT13
04-08-2012, 2:37 AM
Whether you're ready to buy or not, the OP's description on the situation sounds about typical of Turner's. And as a business, they should know how to balance quality service and efficiency especially when there are lots of waiting customers. And I have had my share of some of these experiences. Waiting to be helped is one thing, but skipping you and a few other people with numbers for the first guy they see is ridiculous especially after you waited for so long? And before the new numbering system, they just helped whoever they felt like. OP did exactly what anyone should do which is take your $$$ elsewhere. I don't think he is trying to say that since he had cash, he should be expedited. He waited 45 mins patiently for his turn not being rude by going to manager as suggested to say hey I'm ready to buy let's do this, lol, while witnessing this typical Turner's experience only to be skipped. Could have happened to anyone with or without cash, ready to buy or not.

The War Wagon
04-08-2012, 3:37 AM
Does anybody ever point out these threads o' FAIL! to the shops in question (I'm not even from CA, and Turners has sounded like a place to AVOID, ever since I got to Calguns.net!)?

There's a local shop here in da' 'BURGH with a mixed reputation for customer service. They've always been GREAT with me, and I think some of the bashing is undeserved, but I KNOW they read the feedback and comments left on the PA state board, and do try and respond to such complaints accordingly.

I would presume, that some arses would be PUNTED at Turner's, if they knew a guy with $2500 cash walked OUT of their shop empty-handed, after what you described...

Lu(ky
04-08-2012, 3:46 AM
I went into their store today with $2500 cash on hand and ready to buy knowing what I want, no bs needed. Soon as I walked in, I grabbed a number and saw that I was next, cool. More than 45 mins pass and I'm still standing there. I only waited patiently because I was suppose to be next. Meanwhile, one employee is story telling with some customers who are just window shopping. Another is showing/teaching some guy who just bought a gun how to load, unload and handle his new pistol. I watched this "lesson" for almost 45 mins and can honestly say that this guy should not own a gun... yet. He was so clueless and helpless it's scary that this guy is about to bring a gun home untrained, undisciplined and clueless. Nothing wrong with BSing with customers and sharing stories, but when you see a bunch of customers standing there waiting, please try to expedite. And two guys behind the counter seem o be doing inventory, lol. Good time to do that. Then a guy who had just walked in was helped right away and he didn't even have a number. Meanwhile there were three of us with numbers waiting. FAIL! I was ready to buy the LMT on your shelf but decided to throw my number away and walk out. Gave my business to Ammo Bros. BTW, I told them this experience and they said to tell you guys thank you for the business.

Well did you still get a LMT at AmmoBrothers?

I think the store MANAGERS really need to step up and start pushing the sales reps to focus and less chating to non paying customers.
It's funny too when you go to Turners to pick up your gun with papers in hand and not one of there sales reps are helping anyone just standing there waiting while the MANAGERS walk by you with there heads looking down like you are invisible.. :nono:
The only way to improve Managers/Sales reps customer service you need to scare them with secret shoppers where they get graded on there performance and pay.

cannon
04-08-2012, 8:41 AM
I was on the store's side until I read that someone came in and was helped who did not pull a number or wait in line.

gwanghoops
04-08-2012, 9:02 AM
I was on the store's side until I read that someone came in and was helped who did not pull a number or wait in line.

It depends upon the "help". I've been at Turners where guys just go grab someone and "just want to ask a quick question" OTOH, I would wait patiently even for a simple question and hate the dudes that don't wait. The guys at Turners don't keep track of who's in line -- I had been waiting 30 minutes and was offered help and told them that someone else was ahead of time. Turners deserves the hate for mishandling of the waiting customers, but not necessarily the long wait times due to demand.

A sad Turners shopping tip: Go to the gun counter. Stand in one spot like near a computer that is used frequently. Do not browse. Put any paperwork on counter. Do not look like you are pissed. It will make it easier for them to know you've been waiting a long time.

LBDamned
04-08-2012, 9:04 AM
I'm going to preface my statement by saying; I'm a big fan of Ammo Bros (Cerritos) and go there often, I'm also a big fan of Turners (Norwalk) and go there often too...

BOTH stores have been busy with long delays MANY times. There have been instances when I've been at Ammo Bros and the wait was longer than I had - and yes, boatloads of people are lookie-loos there too...

As for a customer just walking up and cutting in line (or whatever) - just SPEAK UP. I know the number system works real well at Ammo Bros (but they have been using it for quite a while)...

on the other hand, Norwalk needs to get it ingrained in their head that they have a number system - I was there, number in hand (2 or 3 number to go on the board) - sales guy address me and asks how he can help, I showed him my number and said there are a couple ahead of me... he calls out next number (no response), then the following number (no response) then it was my number - he playfully implied he knew I was next... point is, I dont think they are used to the number system yet, but they NEED to be.

For the rest of the OP - it's a gun shop dude, they are often busy... and Ammo Bros isnt any different (other than they have the number system down). As another post mentioned - time of day makes a BIG difference... after work = not good, weekend = forget it... even noon-ish sometimes sux. If you want in & out, get there at 10:00, I guarantee you will get out swiftly - if it's important enough to you, there wont be any reason you can't just be there when they open.

As for Turners Norwalk - I've always had great service there - but they really need to work on making the number system work...

Shooting_Laser
04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Sucks to hear, guess I've been one of the lucky few with great service from the Norwalk store every time I go. It also helps that I go during off peak hours most of the time.

chris_m90731
04-08-2012, 12:14 PM
And that's why I buy via Gallery of Guns and have it transferred. Try it sometime.

Fatstackz
04-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Did anyone bother to point out the line jumper? If they use the number system then you could have politley mentioned that fact to the line jumper and the service staff. If you left without saying anything, that's on you. I wouldn't wait that long to just walk out without letting them know why.

paul0660
04-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Does anybody ever point out these threads o' FAIL! to the shops in question

Notice the forum it is posted in.

The line jumper and the counter person would have gotten an earful from me.

Shooting_Laser
04-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Heck, I would've flagged one of the "inventory" clerks as soon as I walked in. I do see some people aren't as forward & sorta linger around waiting for a clerk to notice them. A simple "how's it going boss!" goes a long way.

bill_k_lopez
04-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I went into their store today with $2500 cash on hand and ready to buy knowing what I want, no bs needed. Soon as I walked in, I grabbed a number and saw that I was next, cool. More than 45 mins pass and I'm still standing there. I only waited patiently because I was suppose to be next. Meanwhile, one employee is story telling with some customers who are just window shopping.

Who apperently got there before you, waited in line and is now enjoying HIS turn.

Another is showing/teaching some guy who just bought a gun how to load, unload and handle his new pistol. I watched this "lesson" for almost 45 mins and can honestly say that this guy should not own a gun... yet. He was so clueless and helpless it's scary that this guy is about to bring a gun home untrained, undisciplined and clueless.

You'd prefer a new gun owner be given less instruction and 2a doesn't apply to everyone in your opinion, huh?

Gave my business to Ammo Bros. BTW, I told them this experience and they said to tell you guys thank you for the business.

And tell us just how quick you breezed through the wait at Ammo Bros? I shop both stores REGULARLY and you can guarantee your self a wait on a Saturday at both. I've waited so long at Ammo Brothers that I've eventually given my number to someone else and had to leave because I just couldn't stand there another hour.

Funny - I went into Turners Norwalk on Thursday, purchased a handgun that was on sale, spent my 30 minutes on paperwork and walked out very happy. Total time at the store was less than an hour. OP here is a little hint: Don't go to Turner's on a Weekend, or in the evenings (4-6) M-F. They're packed - just like Ammo Brothers.

triggatronic
04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Ha! You should try Turner's Reseda.

kimo308
04-08-2012, 4:40 PM
Did anyone bother to point out the line jumper? If they use the number system then you could have politley mentioned that fact to the line jumper and the service staff. If you left without saying anything, that's on you. I wouldn't wait that long to just walk out without letting them know why.

Just as I was about to point him out, I raised my ticket and another guy helped me but the guy next in line after me wasn't too happy but I think he pointed that jumper out. The FAIL part of this thing was, they seem to have forgotten that they have a numbering system which made this whole thing worse. Only when I raised my ticket did they press the button for my number. And the guy that had the next number after me was also patiently waiting there with his kid and they called out three numbers after his without calling his.:confused: He was like WTF? And when the guy helping me disappeared for a while there really wasn't anybody else to ***** to and I'm not the scandalous type so I just walked out.

kimo308
04-08-2012, 4:58 PM
Originally Posted by bill k lopez>
Who apperently got there before you, waited in line and is now enjoying HIS turn.
Please..... Not sure if you're just a Turners fanboy or what, but i tried to be patient and courteous as much a I could even when I thought I finally got help. It's not my first rodeo and know how this works so thanks but no thanks for the lecture. If you were in my shoes, saw, heard and experienced what I did, you may have possibly responded worse than me.

You'd prefer a new gun owner be given less instruction and 2a doesn't apply to everyone in your opinion, huh?
Don't spin the situation. You don't seem to be getting the point. I knew someone like you would comment like this that's why I wrote the post as I did but not all of us will agree or see it for what it is.

And tell us just how quick you breezed through the wait at Ammo Bros? I shop both stores REGULARLY and you can guarantee your self a wait on a Saturday at both. I've waited so long at Ammo Brothers that I've eventually given my number to someone else and had to leave because I just couldn't stand there another hour.
I just don't recall writing how "I breezed through" Ammo Bros. But my experience was better..

Funny - I went into Turners Norwalk on Thursday, purchased a handgun that was on sale, spent my 30 minutes on paperwork and walked out very happy. Total time at the store was less than an hour. OP here is a little hint: Don't go to Turner's on a Weekend, or in the evenings (4-6) M-F. They're packed - just like Ammo Brothers.
Thanks for the hint, but im pretty aware of this. But some of us don't have the luxury of luxury days and hours to work. I'm pretty stuck with the gridlock shopping hours at gun shops but don't have a choice. I went in there knowing this ahead of time which is why I waited patiently until the conclusion of the whole experience. I wouldn't be here *****ing today at all if they called my number, was helped accordingly, dros'd accordingly and went on my way. I would have just said another day at the gun store on a weekend. But it ended in a failed customer service. The clueless guy buying a gun, two story telling window shoppers wouldn't have mattered but since I'm telling you all the story, the details should be added because it's part of it. But thanks for the tips n comments:rolleyes:

Fatstackz
04-08-2012, 5:08 PM
Just as I was about to point him out, I raised my ticket and another guy helped me but the guy next in line after me wasn't too happy but I think he pointed that jumper out. The FAIL part of this thing was, they seem to have forgotten that they have a numbering system which made this whole thing worse. Only when I raised my ticket did they press the button for my number. And the guy that had the next number after me was also patiently waiting there with his kid and they called out three numbers after his without calling his.:confused: He was like WTF? And when the guy helping me disappeared for a while there really wasn't anybody else to ***** to and I'm not the scandalous type so I just walked out.

And I think they assumed he had that next number. Typically, the whole number taking system works on the honor system. I haven't seen many, if any places that actually want to see the number you have. They figure they let the customers sort it out I suppose. It works ok at places like DMV because everybody there is pissed off and is watching like a hawk. On the otherhand if I happen to stroll into the local asian super market and grab a number, it never fails that somebody feels they are just a little bit more important than the rest of us.

Honestly, I don't think I would ever make a major purchace from anyplace that requires you to take a number to be served. I will give my business to a proprietor that offers a little less rushed atmosphere and that genuinally appreciates the business.

" I am not a number, I am a free man!"

RT13
04-08-2012, 5:38 PM
Asian market, lol. Unfortunately, the honor system fails and only takes one A hole to ruin it for everyone. And unfortunately, everyone is using it now. Think it's the fair way especially when you're busy like gun stores these days. But when they fail to properly employ or use it, then you get like what happened to the OP. Sucks to have these situations especially when there are only a few gun stores around.

Distro
04-08-2012, 6:19 PM
This part from two different posts confuses me.

I was ready to buy the LMT on your shelf but decided to throw my number away and walk out.
You made it seem like you were in line and walked out after the line jumper.

But then...

Only when I raised my ticket did they press the button for my number. And the guy that had the next number after me was also patiently waiting there with his kid and they called out three numbers after his without calling his. He was like WTF? And when the guy helping me disappeared for a while...

So you were "helped/called" but then the guy disappeared and that is when you left? Including that in the original post might have made your frustration a lot more clear because sometimes these "I waited X amount of time..." posts are exaggerated, but having the guy disappear would be the actual bigger and important issue.

Example, I was at Turners Pasadena a couple days ago, there was about a 10 minute wait in front of me and a guy who came in about 5-6 minutes behind some of the people already in line waited about 10 minutes himself and said out loud, "wow, been 30 minutes and the line hasn't moved" not a very good judge of time.

JNunez23
04-08-2012, 6:55 PM
Nothing new here....

You said it!!! Read the other threads and you'll see the trend with Turners and their "unique" style of customer service!

kimo308
04-08-2012, 7:03 PM
Damn I guess I was so fired up I forgot to write the rest of the story. I edited and added it. Thanks for catching that. No wonder the story doesn't seem as good lol. You're right Distro thanks.

bill_k_lopez
04-08-2012, 7:40 PM
I wouldn't be here *****ing today at all if they called my number, was helped accordingly, dros'd accordingly and went on my way.

Right.......If I told you how I really feel, I'll get myself banned again.

stitchnicklas
04-08-2012, 7:58 PM
turners lost my primary business in feburary,only critical purchases now...

3 hr wait for a ppt transfer.

last gun i did was at a safe shop ffl,10 min's and gone
--------------------------------------------------
for a new purchase the only option is when they open the doors first thing

vintagedude88
04-08-2012, 8:07 PM
I've said this before.

Turners on weekends and Tues & Weds evenings are a total fail. Just avoid those days and you should be fine.

navycorpsman
04-10-2012, 2:10 PM
Again to all the whiners. Seriously find something better to do then hate for educating someone who doesnt know how to use gun and guess what if its that persons turn and they are window shopping and talking to rep OHHHH WELLLLL its there turn. If they were blown off they would be on here complaining about service they got. Instead of crying all the time some of you should take the time to make your way to your local mom and pop gun store where you can get $75-125 hike up on prices. You are buying guns from the biggest dealer in California. Deal with it.

winnre
04-10-2012, 2:19 PM
Were you wearing a hoodie?

robz@turners
04-10-2012, 3:21 PM
We hate to lose any customers and sales. I have contacted manager and we walked through the importance of how to use a number system in order to avoid any confusion of who is next.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Yeah, Turner's Signal Hill just lost my business too, after this weekend. I used to stick up for them when everyone else would bash them but not anymore. It's kinda sad, since they're so close to my house but honestly, it's not worth it anymore. Their prices suck (unless they have a sale), their inventory is abysmal, their transfer fee is a ripoff and they are completely understaffed. Two times in a row, I've waited over 15 minutes to be checked out. This time was the last straw; I threw my stuff in the box next to the register and walked out!

FWIW, I bought 2 pistols and over 1,000 rnds of ammo from Turners last year, so they're losing a $1,000 per year customer. I'm sure Ammo Bros., Field Time and Fowlers will appreciate the new business. ;)

SemperFlexibus
04-23-2012, 1:32 PM
signal hill is the runner up to being the worst store, right behind reseda...

best service is about 10 miles south on 405 freeway, brookhurst exit...

CEDaytonaRydr
04-23-2012, 2:52 PM
signal hill is the runner up to being the worst store, right behind reseda...

Well, I've never been to Reseda but if it's anything like the Signal Hill store, it can't be good. What really stinks about this is that I've been going there for a while and they've always been okay for everyday needs. After this weekend, I'm going to have to seek out other options.

Unfortunate... :(

In regards to the OP's issue, Turners South Bay lost the paperwork on a rifle I bought, once. I didn't get really upset about it because they were doing me a huge favor by selling me a different rifle that was not on sale, because they had sold out of the model that was on sale. I had to wait over 20 days and they did give me some free ammo for my trouble.

JUNKY357
04-26-2012, 10:22 PM
well the clicker to change the number system was stolen.. so they have a new number system... you have to understand they are one of the busiest stores.. Norwalk store is one of the best stores.. They have more sales people in that store than any other store.. Sometimes the waiting is 45 minutes just to pick up a gun.. but thats the nature of the business.. Try them out again.. Give them a chance.. Norwalk store gets good reviews.. A++++

gr8dragon88
04-27-2012, 9:13 AM
well the clicker to change the number system was stolen..

that's a new one... must be the dog that ate some kids' homework last night ;)

have we all just downgraded to robots or animals, where we need a clicker to tell us what to do next?:confused:

Turner's Outdoorsman
04-27-2012, 9:35 AM
that's a new one... :

Yep- we're trading e-mails internally on that one ... doesn't fly with us either ....

JUNKY357
04-27-2012, 3:12 PM
yes sir.. call the store and ask them if they found their clicker for the number system... now they actually write the numbers on a paper.. when they call the number they cross it off their list.. thats how they know who is next.. call them and ask.. I walk into that store atleast 3 times a week.. they lost the clicker 2 weeks ago.. talk to Randy.. Wayne.. Rich.. Jesse.. Josh... they all work behind the counter.. they will tell you it has been stolen.. Maybe they need to mount in on the wall so no one can steal it next time.

DMorris2321
04-27-2012, 3:38 PM
Only been to turners in Norwalk twice but both have been great experiences and better then Ammo bros, which can be hit or miss depending on who you get. Will be going to Norwalk to pick up a 10/22.