View Full Version : Gun Vault energy vampire?

04-07-2012, 9:32 PM
I have owned a standard Gun Vault for about a year and a half now. I've been through 5 sets of batteries for it. I open it about once every couple of months to make sure it's operative, and about another 4-5 times per year when I go shooting with the pistol I have inside.

In other words, I barely use any power to open it. Yet it sucks 8 AA batteries dry in about 3 months. Seems abnormal to me and just today it's dead again. Wouldn't be good if someone kicked my door in at 3am and it went beep beep and no click :(

Anyone else have experience with this? I am going to contact Gun Vault and see if this may be a defective unit. Using a DC adapter is not an option for a few reasons.

04-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Hamster, Wheel, and Generator. No more batteries.

04-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Seriously there must be something wrong. That is a lot of batteries.

04-07-2012, 10:55 PM
I have an electronic lockbox that has 8 AAA batteries in it and I've never changed the batteries in over five years.

04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
shoot it with a silver bullitt? ???

04-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Something is wrong. I have several gunvaults and batteries last years. I change them every two or three years for good measure. And, I open the vaults frequently.

04-08-2012, 9:59 AM
I did some digging, it looks like something is wrong with the unit, going to call Gunvault tomorrow and see what the deal is.

I should have registered for warranty! Hopefully they take care of me.

Failing that, I'm already considering moving it somewhere and hooking it up to a DC adapter, hell I might even put in AA rechargeable and some circuitry to charge them off the wall.