PDA

View Full Version : What to look for/at on a used Marlin 60?

roushstage2
04-07-2012, 1:58 AM
I may be picking up a used Marlin 60, supposedly from the '80s. Is there anything in particular I should look for/at?

troutbum54
04-07-2012, 8:54 AM
A lot of older 60s have problems with failure to fire or failure to eject, pretty much all can be corrected with a good cleaning. Most any parts are readily available if needed and there is a wealth of information out there to assist you in fixing or restoring anything to do with the 60. Check out rimfirecentral.com for any info. Other than cleaning, you might want to replace springs with a J&P spring kit. I say if bore is good and price is right, go for it. They are remarkably good shooters.

shrap
04-07-2012, 11:29 AM
You probably would prefer one with the last shot bolt hold open feature, which was added in the 1980s.

Khafre
04-07-2012, 12:14 PM
A while back I picked up a used mid 80's model 60 with the 18 round tube without the last shot bolt hold open feature. I got it for an unbelievable good deal so I wasn't too picky in looking it over.
I am pretty sure the rifle was never cleaned once. When I first cleaned it I gave it a bath in hoppes and found out the feed ramp was actually a silver color and not black. This would be a good indication of how well the rifle has been cleaned.

Also check the magazine tube. Make sure it is nice and straight with no dings or dents that can cause problematic feeding. Pay close attention to the opening of the tube and make sure it perfectly round and a smooth. If you are able to do this in a safe environment, load the rifle to full capacity and the tube should insert smoothly with no hang ups.

I have had issues with my tube. When I get a double feed the cartridges will actually bend and ding the end of the magazine tube. This makes it almost impossible to reload (reinsert the tube fully with cartridges in place) without reforming the end of the tube.

If you can do this before purchasing, disassemble the rifle and make sure the recoil spring has not been kinked into oblivion. The Model 60 has a half length guide rod for the spring and reinserting the bolt and spring back into the receiver can be problematic. It is real easy to bend the spring and kink it. I have found that giving the spring and bolt one good push to decompress it avoids this problem. Be sure not to kink it yourself as you reassemble the rifle.

Other than that just check for the usual wear and tear such as rust, scratches, and the condition of the bore and muzzle.

If you could not already tell my Model 60 has not been too reliable (even after a good cleaning and working it over). Hopefully the one you pick up gives you a better experience than mine has given me.

compulsivegunbuyer
04-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Khafre, the old ones have a badly designed feed throat. They make a conversion kit, and the gun will feed almost anything once installed. I have fixed no less than 10 Marlin 60 jam-o-matics with this kit.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8713/Product/Feed-Throat-Conversion-Kit

millwright39
04-07-2012, 1:16 PM
Over 11million made! easy to fix parts are there.

roushstage2
04-07-2012, 2:42 PM
I will take a peek at what I can. I don't think disassembly is going to be an option. This is a 17 rounder with the last shot bolt hold open. The FTF/FTE thing I guess is making me wonder now. I've seen that elsewhere too while looking around. I mean, saving $50 on the rifle itself but then having to buy a $27 plus shipping "fix" and maybe a spring kit...may as well buy a new one at that point. I'm taking it the newer ones are free of this problem?

compulsivegunbuyer
04-07-2012, 3:24 PM
The newrer ones are free of this problem.

Khafre
04-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Khafre, the old ones have a badly designed feed throat. They make a conversion kit, and the gun will feed almost anything once installed. I have fixed no less than 10 Marlin 60 jam-o-matics with this kit.

Thank you! That my be the answer to my prayers. I did notice that the gap between the feed ramp and the chamber was fairly steep on my rifle.

roushstage2
04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
The newrer ones are free of this problem.
Any idea of the year that they made the change? Late 80's? Early/late 90's?

Furncliff
04-08-2012, 5:44 PM
I have a late 90's. It has the LSHO. But it's broken. Not that big a deal. If I not mistaken the early guns can be retrofit. I have a newer M60 as well. I like them both and they are quite accurate for the money spent. I put my older stainless rifle in a Boyd's thumbhole stock.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/892/dsc01321i.jpg

wash
04-08-2012, 6:10 PM
I will take a peek at what I can. I don't think disassembly is going to be an option. This is a 17 rounder with the last shot bolt hold open. The FTF/FTE thing I guess is making me wonder now. I've seen that elsewhere too while looking around. I mean, saving $50 on the rifle itself but then having to buy a $27 plus shipping "fix" and maybe a spring kit...may as well buy a new one at that point. I'm taking it the newer ones are free of this problem?
I bought that same type at an estate auction.

It has shot everything I've feed it as quick as I could pull the trigger except for the duds that occasionally happen (all with good firing pin indentations on the rim).

Evidently the deceased was a real rimfire aficionado because I got two really nice ones and they were the two cheapest guns there.

If you can get a functional rifle for less than the cost of a new short tube gun, get it.

PoorRichRichard
04-08-2012, 6:41 PM
If you obtain one of the older models thaT holds 18 in the tube, make damn sure you have tight screws where the trigger assembly attaches to the stock. Got one a few months ago and the fricken thing slamfired on me because the screws were loose:mad:

roushstage2
04-08-2012, 11:51 PM
I bought that same type at an estate auction.

It has shot everything I've feed it as quick as I could pull the trigger except for the duds that occasionally happen (all with good firing pin indentations on the rim).

Evidently the deceased was a real rimfire aficionado because I got two really nice ones and they were the two cheapest guns there.

If you can get a functional rifle for less than the cost of a new short tube gun, get it.

Seems like the throat issues are on the older-than-the-17-round (18 round) M60s by the looks of these posts, and now yours wash.

yellowfin
04-09-2012, 1:32 PM
FrogLube it. That stuff will take out tons of gunk to make it look and run like new. I love my Marlin 60 but it was running real rough and gritty after a while from prior owner's accumulated abuse. I switched it to FrogLube and now it runs smooth as butter.

roushstage2
04-09-2012, 2:03 PM
I'm not too worried about the cleaning aspect. I plan on stripping it down and giving it a thorough cleaning regardless. I'm going to go ahead and go forward with the purchase. Thanks for the input everyone. ;)

JSolie
04-09-2012, 2:36 PM

Thank you! That my be the answer to my prayers. I did notice that the gap between the feed ramp and the chamber was fairly steep on my rifle.

Just know that with that feed throat upgrade, you might have to either file off one of the side pegs on the feed throat, or drill a hole in the side of the frame. The old Model 60 feed throats have three pegs, these newer ones have four. I've got a feed throat and cartridge lifter for one of my old Model 60's that I need to modify before putting in the rifle.

JSolie
04-09-2012, 2:41 PM
One other thing... Marlin also changed the shape of the trigger guard, probably with the introduction of the LSHO. I've got an older Marlin with the longer trigger guard. When I went to put a Boyd's thumb-hole stock on the rifle, the trigger guard wouldn't fit because it was too long. My short term solution was to pick up another trigger guard assembly, and my permanent solution was a DIP trigger.

roushstage2
04-12-2012, 9:44 PM
Put it in jail this evening. TDS Guns was great all around! Started the PPT/DROS about 10 minutes after their normal cut-off because I drove so far to get there, worked with me since I realized ~2/3 way there that I forgot my proof of residency and finished the PPT start to finish in about 15-20 minutes. I've always heard mixed things about TDS, but they went above and beyond IMO today!

I cannot wait to get the rifle home and take it out!!!