PDA

View Full Version : Learning to hunt Wild Boar - What gun?

bruss01
04-20-2007, 8:40 AM
I'm an adult male in my 40's in decent shape who needs to learn to hunt. I've taken hunter's education class but that is about safety and the law, it doesn't teach you how to hunt so much as teach you how NOT to hunt.

So... I'm on a learning curve here. One of the things I would like to do sometime this year is learn to hunt. I would prefer to simply go with a buddy, but not a lot of people hunt here. Let me rephrase that, there are hunters here, but not enough that everybody knows someone who hunts. I'm one of those that don't. And most folks who hunt, do not want to take someone they've just met, especially someone who's never hunted before. I get the feeling it's a combination of "I don't know if I trust you with a gun" and "I'm not showing you my hunting spot!" because there are precious few private or public lands where hunting is allowed.

So I'm (gag) anticipating having to shell out for a guided hunt in order to get any experience at all. I have several guns, and I'm sure that most of them would do the job. I don't want to mess up any of my good guns by dragging them around in the timber. To some that will sound "fussy" but hey, I paid good money for these things, they are hard to replace, so I want to keep them in nice shape.

I have an M1 USGI Garand which is NOT going, though it would do the job. You just can't replace something like that. Also I have a M48 Yugo Mauser that is pristine which will not be going. I've got a K31 Swiss that I would consider taking (it was in rough condition but has been re-finished to acceptable appearance) with SP ammo. Also I've got an M38 Mosin that has been chromed, which I'd consider taking with SP. I've got a Swiss "Alpine Sporter" which is re-chambered in .308 that is just too darn well-preserved to take it out in the brush and mud. It's 100 years old, and I'd like to keep it decent. Finally, I have a Marlin .44 magnum levergun. I really like this gun and I'm not overly protective of it, since it can easily be replaced. But I wonder if .44 magnum is "enough gun" for wild boar. (Texas wild pig is not the same, these are the larger west coast boars). I would trust it for deer, but hogs are tough and will attack the hunter if they are able. I'd rather my first shot were the last shot as well. I have a handgun in .44 mag as well, which makes the choice doubly tempting.

My question is not only, what would be an appropriate round and platform, but also what would be acceptable in the eyes of an experienced hunter? The concern being, I have enough problems with being a 40+ year old first time hunter, the last thing I need is being laughed at my first time out because I chose (what some might see as) a ludicrous choice of firearm to bring to the hunt.

Any suggestions? Also I'd appreciate a recommendation on a guide service in N. CA that will teach actual hunting skills rather than simply point you to the bait station where the hogs are standing around eating and say "So start shootin' already". As in, I'm talking about real hunting as opposed to shooting fish in a barrel. It's more important to me to acquire skills than to bring home the bacon.

theseacow
04-20-2007, 9:51 AM

joel1316
04-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Good thread!
Theseacow - great information for all us noobs.

Smoothiesd
04-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Here is a good hog hunting board, they concentrate on mostly CA.
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?showforum=16

Citadelgrad87
04-20-2007, 3:03 PM
They are tough. Indeed. .308 and 30-06 accounted for 3 on my trip, and a 12g got another one.

Oh, and about them being tough, I won't ever go out for boar again without a serious sidearm. I killed a 120 lb boar who charged with a brain shot from about 15 feet. If I hadn't had my removeable scope, I would have been toast.

Take a .357 on your belt, minimum.

Wink
04-20-2007, 5:48 PM
As far as ammo is concerned. The Barnes TSX is awesome for pigs. The last 6 hogs Ive killed were all 1 shot. That bullet will anchor any pig. You can also get away with a smaller grain bullet. 150 to 180 is nice if you get on a big bore.

SLYoteBoy
04-20-2007, 5:56 PM
Ive shot them with .223 , .243 , .44 mag , .270 , and 7 WSM all have done good jobs. Shot placement. If your going to eat them , go for the smaller ones , 80-120 lbers , and sows. Boars are good for sausage , thats what I make out of the boars.

Rob454
04-20-2007, 7:16 PM
I go boar hunting in the paso robles area. I only go on BLM land. I went on guided hunts but to me they suck. its one of those lets drive ok stop. wait here . pig walks up to the feeding tough or water trough ok shoot him. Abotu as much fun as taking a s**t. I only went on one hunt and I was pretty disgusted with myself. I prefer to go run around all weekend and get one or mabey not get one. I look at it this is my chance to get away from people wife cell phones work traffic etc. getting a boar is great also.
whoever said get a good sidearm YEAH dont bother with a 9mm or anything liek that. I had one rush me once and I had a 9mm on my side ( back when i was still learning) and after shooting it 2x all i managed to do was piss it off. i finally got a got my shotgun pumped and managed to hit it with a slug.
Thats why i have a 44 and a 45 now when I go. the 44 gets a little heavy but I havent taken the 45 yet but its lighter. if youre in So cal and wanna go when we go next time youre more than welcome to come with us. its usually me and one other buddy.
Rob

redneckshootist
04-20-2007, 8:18 PM
My favorate 44mag load for hunting wild pigs is 325grain lead flat nose bullet (witch are hard to find unless you cast them yourself) with 21grains of H110. I think the bullet might be kind of long for the rifle but it works great in my ruger super blackhawk. Hand gun hunts are the greatest rush of em all.

Where are you located? I hunt mostly on BLM land in nothern cali and you are welcome to tag along with me

joebarbarian
04-21-2007, 8:13 PM
great info, I have hunted since I was 12 now 46 and have allways wanted to hunt pig..even got me a 44 mag" super redhawk to do it, maybe someday...

thanks seacow
Joe.

Kestryll
04-21-2007, 8:31 PM
Quick question for those who have hunted pig.
I've seen lots of comments about minimum caliber for a backup handgun and failure stories with 9mm and even one failure story with a .357.
So what is the minimum reliable sidearm caliber, for revolver and for semi-auto?

Smoothiesd
04-21-2007, 8:51 PM
This is on the CA BLM page that explains what weapons are legal. I am not sure if this is on just BLM land or pig hunting in CA in general.

#3 Are there any restriction on weapons used to hunt wild pigs?

Only the following weapons and ammunition may be used to take wild pigs: 1) Rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding bullets; 2) Bow and arrow (see section 359 of the current hunting regulation handbook for archery equipment regulations); 3) Shotguns capable of holding not more than 3 shells firing single slugs; 4) Muzzle-loading rifles; 5) Pistols of the calibers .357 magnum, .41 magnum, .44 magnum and other pistols or revolvers firing bullets having muzzle energy of not less than 695 foot pounds in factory loaded ammunition. Only soft-nosed or expanding bullets may be used.

MrTuffPaws
04-21-2007, 8:57 PM
What?!?! No spear?!?

Fjold
04-21-2007, 9:05 PM
. I have several guns, and I'm sure that most of them would do the job. I don't want to mess up any of my good guns by dragging them around in the timber. To some that will sound "fussy" but hey, I paid good money for these things, they are hard to replace, so I want to keep them in nice shape.

Just what are you going to do with the guns to tear them up? I don't drag any through the mud and I sure don't mess them up out hunting. Some of the worst knocks that I've done to guns is on the benches at the range.

Some of your guns have probably been through wars and you don't think that they should go hunting?

mike100
04-22-2007, 8:33 AM
I've never hunted pig, but I sporterized a postwar mosin m44. it's lighter and handy and has iron sights for quick close range work if need be.

xdimitrix
04-22-2007, 8:37 AM
Whats the deal with the handgun regs? Looking up the 357 the energy is only around 550. Even some 44 mag loads are slightly below the 695 limit. If you carry an unkosher gun as backup will the DFG write you a ticket? I almost would assume yes considering most of the regulations are designed with a guilty until proven innocent mentality.

mike100
04-22-2007, 9:21 AM
The DFG does not enfore the same set gun laws. They are only interested in ethical and legal hunting. It's the normal branches of LE that cause issues during traffic stops. their definition of a unloaded gun is an empty chamber (but a full mag is ok, etc. this definition mainly for purposes of transport since chasing game in your trucjk is unsporting. They don't care about if your container is locked etc.

mike100
04-22-2007, 9:23 AM
btw, the way I read that: that's the minimum caliber for pig hunting exclusively with handguns - 357 mag,41 mag, 44 mag. If you have a .30 cal rifle, the HG is for backup or personal protection and you have met the minimum power factor for piggies. they just are defining what is ethical caliber for an animal of that size- the way I read it.

zinfull
04-22-2007, 10:11 AM
I just got one last weekend with a 44 mag. I carried the carbine and pistol combo and it worked out very well. The pistol is a backup for most and will be at very close range. You want to stop that sucker before he gets to your legs. I would not even think about anything lest that a 357. As for your guns being to nice to use hunting just go down and buy a used gun. There are a lot of used hunting rifes on the market. The numbers of hunters are going down and the young people are selling dads old hunting rifles. When hunting a rifle is a tool so except that it will get dirty and marked some way.

jerry

Californio
04-22-2007, 7:30 PM
My favorate 44mag load for hunting wild pigs is 325grain lead flat nose bullet (witch are hard to find unless you cast them yourself) with 21grains of H110. I think the bullet might be kind of long for the rifle but it works great in my ruger super blackhawk. Hand gun hunts are the greatest rush of em all.

Where are you located? I hunt mostly on BLM land in nothern cali and you are welcome to tag along with me

Amen,

I tried a hardcast 265gr. and wound up living in 5' brush for a few hours to get it done. I am going to try the Belt Mountain Punch bullet in 300gr. next, as I don't cast.

Flux Capacitor
04-23-2007, 3:49 PM
So I'd assume a 50 Desert Eagle would be sufficient to take on a Pig Hunt?

theseacow
04-23-2007, 5:06 PM

Whitesmoke
04-23-2007, 9:31 PM
NO. the .50 AE wouldn't do squat to a pig.

I'm not arguing with your experience...you know much more than I do, and I have learned much from your posts........but,

A weapons instructor that I know recently went on a pig hunt with his Glock 45acp......he took a 300+ lbs hog with one shot. Not ideal of course....

anotherone
04-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I just use my Beretta Xtrema2 with a shotgun scope and Federal Tru-Ball slugs while pig hunting. Most places where I hunt pigs are pretty heavily wooded so you won't need more than 50 yards of range. The shotgun slugs drop them dead in their tracks. Shotgun slugs are really pretty amazing when you think of it... massive .50+ caliber hunks of lead travelling well over 1000 FPS. I've heard stories of them destroying "bullet proof" glass and other materials.

theseacow
04-24-2007, 7:11 AM
I'm not arguing with your experience...you know much more than I do, and I have learned much from your posts........but,

A weapons instructor that I know recently went on a pig hunt with his Glock 45acp......he took a 300+ lbs hog with one shot. Not ideal of course....

I'm sure it would work, but luck would have alot to do with it with those rounds. If you hunt pigs enough, you see that shot placement is not as easy as it sounds.

theseacow
04-24-2007, 7:12 AM
I just use my Beretta Xtrema2 with a shotgun scope and Federal Tru-Ball slugs while pig hunting. Most places where I hunt pigs are pretty heavily wooded so you won't need more than 50 yards of range. The shotgun slugs drop them dead in their tracks. Shotgun slugs are really pretty amazing when you think of it... massive .50+ caliber hunks of lead travelling well over 1000 FPS. I've heard stories of them destroying "bullet proof" glass and other materials.

Slugs work great. Find the right slug for your gun, and thats a great pig killer.

FatKatMatt
04-24-2007, 7:44 AM
Would a 7mm Remington Magnum with heavier rounds work alright on boar? My Dad has some that he's been tracking up on his land in Clearlake, and the 7mm is my only hunting gun, not really in the mood to buy a new one.

theseacow
04-24-2007, 8:00 AM
Would a 7mm Remington Magnum with heavier rounds work alright on boar? My Dad has some that he's been tracking up on his land in Clearlake, and the 7mm is my only hunting gun, not really in the mood to buy a new one.

It would work, just buy or load the right bullet. Do you handload?

Fjold
04-24-2007, 8:34 AM
There's a lot of people who seem to think that pigs are bullet proof. I've seen pigs taken regularily with 243's. Any cartridge that will take a deer will kill a pig.

Any factory game load in 7mm Rem Mag will kill a pig, light bullet, heavy bullet, it doesn't matter. In Texas it's very common to shoot pigs with 223's, 22.250's and 220 Swifts.

Californio
04-24-2007, 9:04 AM
Size is the issue. Flush a group of 100lbers, no problem. Flush a boar at 300lbs, another issue, unless you get a head shot or the neck shot per the picture posted, the cartilage plate at the shoulder is armor plate on the big boys.

theseacow
04-24-2007, 9:18 AM

FreedomIsNotFree
04-24-2007, 5:43 PM
I've been on quite a few Wild Boar hunts.....none of which were with "professional" guides. I always have a blast even if I dont drag one home.

Most of the hunts have been around the Carmel Valley area, through the Ventana, and South of Big Sur along the coastal mountains.

All the "boars" in CA are not the same. There are the real razorbacks, which were brought over by the Russians prior to CA's statehood. These are distinctly different from the "hybrid" wild boars. The razorbacks have fur on the ridge of their backs that grows in the opposite direction from the rest, hence the name razorback. They also have straight tails where the hybrids have curled tails. Because the hybrid boars are a mix of the razorback and a domesticated pig they tend to get larger. Even though the razorbacks tend to be smaller they are the most ferocious. I've seen one charge a guy, run him over, and slice the poor guys scalp wide open. Some folks hunt with dogs, which I've seen tossed through the air, gored, and unfortunately killed from time to time.

Wild boars are very tough animals. Once you get up close, after they are dead, you will see a very thick "armor" surrounding their neck and chest area. I've seen armor more than 3 inches thick on some of them. We've even found bullets lodged in them a time or two. Their skulls are extremely strong and have heard of shots deflecting off them with underpowered rifles. I agree with SeaCow, that the best shot placement is in front of the shoulder, but you need to make sure you dont go to far forward or your shot will be in the armor. Taking our the spine and neck takes them down pretty fast.

Wild Boars are as blind as a bat, but their sense of smell is extremely good. Stay down wind and you should be fine. I've had one literally walk up to me as I was crouched and down wind. Great strategy for pistol hunters.

Once I shot one in the front shoulder...the boars two front legs went out completely, yet it still pushed itself up and down the hill before I was able to finish it off. The trail of blood this thing laid out was thick. Even with no use of the front legs and a gaping hole in its throat, the hind legs alone pushed this beast for a ways.

As to underpowered rifles. I've seen a boar shot with a well placed 22-250 that did little more than piss it off. I recommend a large caliber unless you enjoy tracking injured animals. Thats when they get the most pissed off...after they have been shot, but are still alive. Take them down hard and fast if possible.

Now to the fun part...field dressing. I have witnessed this process turn the stomach of more than one hunter. With that large of an animal you are going to have a lot of guts. There is nothing quite like opening up a boar at the crack of dawn, steam coming off the guts, and reaching in with both arms to take care of business. Definitely separates the men from the boys.

I highly recommend boar hunting in CA. I've always had my best luck right at dawn when they come out to eat/drink. Find a nice water spot...they will come.

CalNRA
04-24-2007, 6:50 PM
eh, a 3-inch rifled slug in a shotgun, a rifled barrel with a scope mount, you are set. I think 3000 ft-lb of energy in a .73ish caliber would do.

Moonclip
04-24-2007, 8:14 PM
If you hunt them on private land with permission of owner, do you still need a license and tags?

gn3hz3ku1*
04-24-2007, 8:42 PM
I go boar hunting in the paso robles area. I only go on BLM land. I went on guided hunts but to me they suck. its one of those lets drive ok stop. wait here . pig walks up to the feeding tough or water trough ok shoot him. Abotu as much fun as taking a s**t. I only went on one hunt and I was pretty disgusted with myself. I prefer to go run around all weekend and get one or mabey not get one. I look at it this is my chance to get away from people wife cell phones work traffic etc. getting a boar is great also.
whoever said get a good sidearm YEAH dont bother with a 9mm or anything liek that. I had one rush me once and I had a 9mm on my side ( back when i was still learning) and after shooting it 2x all i managed to do was piss it off. i finally got a got my shotgun pumped and managed to hit it with a slug.
Thats why i have a 44 and a 45 now when I go. the 44 gets a little heavy but I havent taken the 45 yet but its lighter. if youre in So cal and wanna go when we go next time youre more than welcome to come with us. its usually me and one other buddy.
Rob

can i tag along? i only have a ar, saiga 7.62x39 or 9mm... :( not hunting rifles for noobs but im poor right now

xdimitrix
04-25-2007, 8:05 AM
Freedom are you hunting on public or private land?

Hunter
04-25-2007, 8:06 AM
If you hunt them on private land with permission of owner, do you still need a license and tags?

Yes, hunting license and tags ARE required, regardless of where you hunt in this state.

Comstock Lode
04-25-2007, 8:55 AM
Just love boar hunting! Started with my Rem 700R precision rifle in .308... too heavy, bought a Rem 700 Classic in .308, perfect!

guns_and_labs
04-25-2007, 9:11 AM
Quick question for those who have hunted pig.
I've seen lots of comments about minimum caliber for a backup handgun and failure stories with 9mm and even one failure story with a .357.
So what is the minimum reliable sidearm caliber, for revolver and for semi-auto?

IMHO, 10mm or .357, so long as they are hot hunting/stopping loads, and not a (human) defense load. I've stopped them with a Glock 29, carrying Double Tap 200gr WFN Beartooth loads (yes, I know you're not supposed to use lead bullets in Glocks).

But to be honest, I'd feel more comfortable with a .41 or .44 magnum. There's nothing like a S&W 629 loaded with Garrett's .44 Mag 310 gr Hammerhead or Double Tap's 250gr WFNGC Beartooth to make a charging boar DRT.

guns_and_labs
04-25-2007, 9:23 AM

7mm RemMag would work fine. I use a .280AI, pretty much the same thing ballistically. I don't think you need a "heavy" bullet, just a sturdy one. My current choice is a Hornady 162 gr SST IL, though I've also used factory Remington Core-Lokt loads.

Comstock Lode
04-25-2007, 9:26 AM
Ammo: Win Vital Shok with Barnes triple shok bullet. Have not carried a HG, but may bring my S&W 686 .357, not sure what ammo for the .357?

guns_and_labs
04-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Have not carried a HG, but may bring my S&W 686 .357, not sure what ammo for the .357?

Maybe 200 gr hard cast loaded to 1200fps+?

Whitesmoke
04-25-2007, 12:43 PM
For a sidearm...I carry a Ruger Vaquero 45 colt...with 250 gr hardcast handloads loaded at "ruger and TC only" pressures. Thats in 44 mag territory....

FatKatMatt
04-25-2007, 12:52 PM
It would work, just buy or load the right bullet. Do you handload?

I want to start eventually, but as of now, no.

FreedomIsNotFree
04-25-2007, 2:10 PM
Freedom are you hunting on public or private land?

Both. Friends of Friends have allowed us to hunt on private land, but there are some good public spots in the area as well.

Cali-V
05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
OK guys, as a person who is just starting to gain an interest in hunting, there is this one question thats lurking in the back of my mind... Freedom kinda touched on it, when he spoke of "Field Dressing"...

I know this is a little off topic, but I just gotta ask... If you are in a fairly distant and tough terrain, what happens after you drop this 143lb boar... Assuming you're hunting for food, how do you safely get 143+ lbs meat from point x to your local sausage factory...
What sort of planning and precautions do you have to make...

FatKatMatt
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
My hunting course instructor talked a bit on this point. I haven't yet been on a hunt so I wouldn't know, but he said you first make sure it is absolutely, unequivocally dead, than you field dress it (remove all the innards), drag it, haul it, whatever, to your camp, and then put it in your car and drive it to its destination. Fairly simple really.

Hunter
05-11-2007, 7:38 AM
...I know this is a little off topic, but I just gotta ask... If you are in a fairly distant and tough terrain, what happens after you drop this 143lb boar... Assuming you're hunting for food, how do you safely get 143+ lbs meat from point x to your local sausage factory...

Like any hunt, it depends on how many are in your party to help with a downed animal. But if you are anywhere near 3/4 or more miles from your rig you are going to want to pack it out in pieces, especially if in rough terrain. By this, I mean you will need to reduce the meat loads to sizes you can put on your back (with pack frame) or on a portable cart. So right there, some initial thoughts during pre-hunt preparation needs to be given to mode of meat transport. This goes for even attempting to drag an animal out. Which is actually a lot harder than it sounds. A lot of guys can handle a pack of 100lbs and move fairly easily, but not many can handle a 100lb carcass dragging on the ground, with the same ease. So trying to drag a 143lb carcass (even with two guys), is a lot of work in itself and if you need to cover some distance, it isn't worth it.

Once you are in the field with a downed animal, you maynot have an option or capability to actually hang the animal up for cleaning, ect.. So be prepared to perform all necessary task with the animal on the ground. Be it gutting, skinning, boneing out, ect. For this you will need to make sure you have a good sharp knife AND a way to resharpen said knife in the field. The best knife will loose is razor sharpness on fatty/tough skin animals quick. The duller the knife becomes, the worst off you will be.

You will also need to think about keeping the meat CLEAN while doing all of this work. Having multiple sets of heavy cotton meat bags are a must here. Not the cheap cheese cloth units either.

Now, the key to any animal downed in the field is to get the meat cooled and keep it clean and dry. Here in CA our biggest concern is heat more than rain. So getting the hide off the animal ASAP is always the best approach to cooling it down quickly. This cannot be stressed enough for handling pigs. Pig meat tends to spoil much faster than say venision under the same field conditions. But once the hide is off, the "keep it clean" goal becomes even more problematic. The meat bags will help here and allow air circulation for cooling the meat as well. DONOT put the meat in a plastic bag of any sort, it will spoil fast.

I could go on with this, as there is a lot to consider/ponder. But so much depends on hunt location; timing; manpower available; location of vehicles; ect..that makes it tough to just right a few lines and say that is it! But I hope this little insight gives you things to think about.

FreedomIsNotFree
05-20-2007, 1:23 PM
OK guys, as a person who is just starting to gain an interest in hunting, there is this one question thats lurking in the back of my mind... Freedom kinda touched on it, when he spoke of "Field Dressing"...

I know this is a little off topic, but I just gotta ask... If you are in a fairly distant and tough terrain, what happens after you drop this 143lb boar... Assuming you're hunting for food, how do you safely get 143+ lbs meat from point x to your local sausage factory...

143 lbs. wild boar...? Ah....dont kill the babies...haha.

You should be considering more along the lines of 200-300 lbs. at least. I have taken more than a few larger than 300 lbs. and let me tell ya, its a lot of work. Granted, the guts do weight a fair amount and once they are removed it is easier to pack/drag out.

Hunter has made some very good points. Its not really a science, but there are some factors to take into consideration. I dont worry about taking the hide off or boning in the field. All I do is gut the thing, make sure you dont cut the piss/crap sack, or you will contaminate the meat if it gets on it. That has been the single most common mistake I have seen from beginning hunters.

If you have at least a couple people on the hunt, draggin it out is an option, but we've literally cut the boar in half a time or two to make the draggin easier. If you are way out in the back country cutting off the valuable parts and packing it out will be your best option.

Of course, there is more than one way to "skin a boar", but this has been my experience.

Cali-V
05-20-2007, 2:50 PM
Hey, Hunter/Freedom very good info...
This thread moved me to get my license... I'm a step closer... Thanks

Regarding the babies, let be know; if that 143lb "baby" charges well it's a dead son of a sow...

scombs263
05-20-2007, 8:49 PM
Try and hunt this pig... www.monsterpig.com

FreedomIsNotFree
05-21-2007, 2:53 AM

That is not a wild boar. That was the largest wild feril pig I have ever seen.

EricCartmann
05-21-2007, 7:40 AM
this is great stuff guys!

hybridatsun350
05-21-2007, 8:13 AM

That can't be real! There is no way! :eek:

Draven
05-22-2007, 1:48 AM
I want to go hog hunting in the worst way....

If I'm limited to the weapons I have, I'd probably bring my Yugo 24/47 Mauser. Its very accurate.

timmyb21
05-22-2007, 8:36 PM
RobWhere can I find this BLM land? I have been looking for good pig land up there for a while, but no one wants to tell me where to go. I go there 2 times a month and would like to score me a pig or two. PM me if you're looking for an experienced hunting partner, or if you don't want to make this public knowledge ;)!

timmyb21
05-22-2007, 8:42 PM
Where can I find this BLM land? I have been looking for good pig land up there for a while, but no one wants to tell me where to go. I go there 2 times a month and would like to score me a pig or two. PM me if you're looking for an experienced hunting partner, or if you don't want to make this public knowledge ;)!

Oh yeah, I use either a 12gauge with slugs for the local stuff (really bushy, tough hiking), 7mm mag for all around, and my .357 on my hip at all times.