PDA

View Full Version : Tools to switch stock on Ruger 10/22 and break in procedure?

orthopod
04-05-2012, 12:33 AM
I am finally getting my Ruger 10/22 out of jail tomorrow. It is the basic carbine model with the wood stock. I got the Hogue OverMold for it and will be switching it out instantly so I can sell the wood stock/barrel clamp in new condition on eBay. My questions are:

1. I want to do the stock switch when I pick up the Ruger so I can head to the range immediately to shoot it. The range is closely and I already have to drive out so why not shoot it ASAP right? What tools should I bring with me to the range to swap the stocks?

2. When I first got my Mossberg 930 it came with a lot of preservative and I did a field strip and cleaning with a microfiber cloth, nylon brush, bore snake, and CLP. I was going to do the same to the Ruger until I started learning on the forums here that they don't need to be cleaned much. My plan was to spray some CLP in the action and wipe whatever I can reach with a microfiber before breaking it in with some Mini Mags. Is this a good way to go as I'd really like to go straight from the gun store to the range or do you recommend a full field strip clean before the shoot?

Thanks everyone!

mofugly13
04-05-2012, 5:30 AM
1. A flathead screwdriver is all you need. The action is held to the factry stock by the barrel band and a single screw through the stock at the front of the mag well. The Hogue OM stock will be held by the single screw, no barrel band. The flathead will need to be fat and narrow, does that make sense. I have an OM stock on my 10/22 but I don't remember if it came with a screw, or if I had to re-use the one from the factory stock. If your Hogue came with a screw, find a screwdriver that fits it, and you will be good to go.

2. Run a patch down the bore to make sure it is free of obstructins/debris, put a cuple drops of clp on the bolt, load her up and shoot!

iroc626
04-05-2012, 8:01 AM
^^^what he said....but, I would suggest you swap the stock at home and not the range. The pins in he lower receiver almost always fall out when you take it out of the original stock. Use a towel on a table to catch the pins. It would suck to loose a pin at the range.

Cowboy T
04-05-2012, 9:08 AM
+1 to mofugly13's post.

Tools required for stock swap: flathead screwdriver.

Procedure for break-in: use it. :-)

NotEnufGarage
04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Unless a gun or barrel comes with a manufacturers required break-in procedure, it's a waste of time and ammo to do anything other than clean the packing slime from the barrel, lubricate the gun and start shooting, in my opinion.

AlbcAlbrr
04-05-2012, 6:31 PM
When you swap out the stock remember that the safety has to be pressed half way between safe and fire, otherwise the trigger group won't come out of the stock.

Break in: shoot it a lot.

JNunez23
04-05-2012, 6:57 PM
Flathead..lol

It's really easier than it looks. Worst case, go on Youtube and check some videos out on field stripping a 10/22.

Good luck.