View Full Version : mossberg 817?

Mossy Man
04-04-2012, 8:12 PM
on sale at big 5 for 169

anyone have one?

they any good?

SoCal Bob
04-04-2012, 8:53 PM
I have one. New out of the box it had a horrible trigger. I was able to use some stones on the trigger and smooth it out and I would now say it has a very good trigger. The bolt handle is straight and kinda short so it is a bit awkward to manipulate with a scope on.

If I had it to do over again I probably would have bought a Savage in .17 HMR. I have a Savage 93 FVSS XP in .22 WMR and IMO it is a much better rifle.

covingtonhouse
04-05-2012, 6:19 PM
Here you go.....he'll tell you all about it

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=556272

sk8804
04-08-2012, 8:02 PM
if you want to do it right buy a savage. I have the mossberg because i got it from my grandpa but if i bought one it would be savage. The mossberg fit and finish is mediocre. if you do get a good one they are accurate but they are hit and miss.

Izzy43
04-08-2012, 8:58 PM
if you want to do it right buy a savage. I have the mossberg because i got it from my grandpa but if i bought one it would be savage. The mossberg fit and finish is mediocre. if you do get a good one they are accurate but they are hit and miss.

What he ^ said. The Savage may cost more but if you compare the fit and finish and shoot it, you'll soon forget the added cost. And if you don't like it the resale value of the Savage will be much more than the Mossy on a percentage basis.

sk8804
04-08-2012, 9:08 PM
What he ^ said. The Savage may cost more but if you compare the fit and finish and shoot it, you'll soon forget the added cost. And if you don't like it the resale value of the Savage will be much more than the Mossy on a percentage basis.

exactly and, with the savage you wont have to touch it out of the box either. Trigger will be great, so on, so forth.

TKM
04-08-2012, 9:23 PM
Don't do it. You will forever be linked to spencerk.

Not quite as bad as legally changing your name to John Wayne Bobbit, but close.

JNunez23
04-08-2012, 9:54 PM
LOL..Cold as ice!! ^^^^^^^

Izzy43
04-09-2012, 8:09 AM

OH, the pain of it all.

covingtonhouse
04-09-2012, 4:15 PM

I was kinda hoping he'd figure that one out by himself....