View Full Version : Savage MKII mods?

04-04-2012, 3:33 PM
Ok so you can tell I'm a newb by the questions I'll ask from time to time.
Here's one now...
I added a scope to my Savage MKII. To get the scope on there I had to remove the rear ramp sight, no problem there. Now I want to remove the front sight. Since I plan to always use the scope this isn't only for looks but that is part of it. Anyway how do I remove that, do I just use a drift and a poly dead blow hammer? Once I do that I want to address the dove tail that's been milled into the top of the barrel. Is there a blank I can get and shape to fit the profile. Or is is easier to add a flash hider to cover it? The flash hider will look very tacticool but I can live with that.

Thanks in advance.

04-04-2012, 5:27 PM
I don't know about the Savage, but I've heard that some manufacturers use a taper on the inside of the dovetail to only allow removal from one direction. Basically make sure of this before trying to drift out, as it may jam the sight in tighter going the wrong direction. I'm not a gunsmith nor do I do work on my firearms that needs to be done with special vises etc so proceed with this info with a grain of salt. The other issue is if something happens to this scope where you need to use iron sights or replace it.