PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to loan my shotgun to my brother?

ocjared
04-19-2007, 10:46 PM
My brother is going out with some buddies to shoot trap. He asked if he could borrow my shotgun.

Does anybody know if it is legal in the state out CA to loan my shotgun to him?

WallySparx
04-19-2007, 10:48 PM
as long as he isn't legally prohibited from possessing a firearm, there's no problem with short term lendings.

AJAX22
04-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Yep, anything thats not an AW is A-OK

Whitesmoke
04-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Yep, anything thats not an AW is A-OK

But I think to loan him a pistol he needs to have a HSC.....

nosewitdot
04-20-2007, 8:37 AM
i believe an HSC is only needed to purchase new handguns.

bwiese
04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Occasional, infrequent lending of a firearm from one party to another is allowable, with provisions. ('Lending' here means the act results in unsupervised possession by the second party, as opposed to you looking over his shoulder.) This is covered in 12078(d)(1) PC.

Both parties must be residents of CA to stay away from federal problems. The recipient must not be in a prohibited category (felon, violent misdemeanor prohibition, etc.) The time period per loan must not exceed 30 days.

If the firearm is a handgun, the lendee/recipient must hold a valid HSC card.

Hicap mags cannot be lent out, except for short-term supervised use when owner is in immediate presence.

If the firearm is a registered assault weapon, the lendee can only be 'lent' the AW while in immediate presence/supervision of the registered owner.

(If the firearm is an unregistered assault weapon, you're both in trouble.)

E Pluribus Unum
04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
i believe an HSC is only needed to purchase new handguns.

HSC is required for loans of handguns as well.

ocjared
04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Occasional, infrequent lending of a firearm from one party to another is allowable, with provisions. ('Lending' here means the act results in unsupervised possession by the second party, as opposed to you looking over his shoulder.) This is covered in 12078(d)(1) PC.

Both parties must be residents of CA to stay away from federal problems. The recipient must not be in a prohibited category (felon, violent misdemeanor prohibition, etc.) The time period per loan must not exceed 30 days.

If the firearm is a handgun, the lendee/recipient must hold a valid HSC card.

Hicap mags cannot be lent out, except for short-term supervised use when owner is in immediate presence.

If the firearm is a registered assault weapon, the lendee can only be 'lent' the AW while in immediate presence/supervision of the registered owner.

(If the firearm is an unregistered assault weapon, you're both in trouble.)

That's exactly what I was looking for... Thanks!