PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/ 22 or Marlin 795- Accuracy, reliability? Cost difference justified?

norcalcook
04-04-2012, 1:20 PM
So I've got the bug to get a .22lr and these two seem like the go-to options. From what I've seen, the Ruger 10/22 base model is being sold for $299 up here in NorCal (if you know of somewhere cheaper, let me know), while the Marlin lists for $179 (yet I can't find any in stock remotely close to me).

While I don't plan on modding the crap out of the gun, I would like to be able to add a scope and bipod with relative ease. From that perspective I've heard the Ruger is the way to go. I'd also want a fairly accurate OTB gun with no reliability issues.

Any thoughts or recommendations? And is the price difference with the Ruger justified?

P.S. I realize this topic has been covered before, but my search turned up a gazzillion various threads, so I thought I'd add to it by posting a new one.

Thanks in advance.

blkops
04-04-2012, 9:08 PM
Sacramento black rifle has the ruger for 199

JNunez23
04-04-2012, 9:30 PM
What do you plan on doing with the rifle??

Are you shooting short distance, plinking? Or are you looking for a long distance rifle?

Both are reliable out the box, and the Marlin might be more accurate depending on what your usage will be. Marlin feels like a toy btw...

Super Spy
04-04-2012, 9:36 PM
Big 5 has 10/22's on sale for $229 frequently, I found a coupon someone posted here and got it down to $206 + Tax & DROS

DinoPJR
04-04-2012, 9:54 PM
I have a marlin 795 i carry around with me on the ranch, and i shoot at least 3 squirrels daily from up to 25 yards up to probably 75 yards no problem. They are nice guns but i just purchased two 1022 takedowns so one of those might be my new .22 to carry around. But i got my 795 for i think 150 plus a 25 dollar mail in rebate. So if you look around you can get the Marlin real cheap. Hope that might help. The 10/22's are way more customizable too so if you want to trick your .22 out I would probably go that route but if you just want a bipod and scope you can do that on the marlin 795 with a swivel stud bipod and the scope mounts easily too. Happy shooting!

ham
04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Iv'e had both and I prefered the Marlin. both have crappy stock sights if you want to stick with irons, go with the tech sights.

DinoPJR
04-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I think the sights are decent unless you wanna get fancy. Just get one of them and enjoy it, they are both fun.

Excaliburr
04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
The company I use in Paradise, CA is CW Enterprises 530-877-7907 and he has a basic blued carbine for $229.99 + dros & tax. So $299 is definitely high. People are buying the take down version for that price. Accuracy is great on the Marlin 60's and 795. I guess with what you have said, I would go with the Marlin 795 or the 60. I personally like the 60's because you get a tube fed mag (14 rounds) and then I buy the tube speedloaders. You can load the speedloader while you are at home and when it is time to shoot, go for it and you don't have to reload a 10 round mag all the time. Trust me when I say that sux. The marlin come with a 3/8 dovetail set up for .22 type rings. You have to purchase that seperately (Wal-Mart even has them). So a $40 scope from Wally world, $9 rings and a box of Federal bulk pack $20 and you are ready for some fun! Neither the ruger or the Marlin is easy for the sling because neither come with the studs that are ready for sling swivels. So you will have to install them yourself first and with the Marlin 60, you will have to pull the action out of the stock to install the front one correctly.(Not hard to do) I installed the screw in type on my wood stock Marlin 60 ( I like the wood, not synthetic, but that is just me). You have to make sure the screw in type isn't too long or it will interfere with the tube magazine. I had to cut 1/4" off of the screw end. In the synthetic stock you may have to use the machine screw type with a nut and I am not sure if that will work with the tube mag. I would probably still use the screw type and maybe put some epoxy on the inside of the stock to give it some more strength. It all depends on the room before the tube mag. Anyway, those mounts are not expensive and you should be able to get a sling for $20. Better yet, I made my own sling out of Parachute cord using the king cobra weave pattern and after that I have about 60' of survival cord if need be. Plus it looks cool and you can make it out of any color you want. A local surplus store sells the cord for .08 per foot. The rest is just time. The Marlin 60 is probably a little more expensive than the 795, but then again you don't have something hanging down that just always gets in the way. Plus when you are hiking, it could fall out and then you got a useless tool. That is what is nice about ruger. Their clips are flush (the legal ones at least.) I set my distance at 75' for iron sites and 75 yards for 4 power weaver scope. Works grreat!

Excaliburr
04-04-2012, 10:36 PM
OK maybe the 795 comes with the sling mounts, but my 60 did not. Just check into it first.

norcalcook
04-04-2012, 10:42 PM
@blkops- looking for more of a long range plinker- some I can toss a scope on and hit decent groups at 100 yards (my mosin has a little difficulty with that). The fact that .22lr ammo doesn't require me to sell any organs is also appealing. I live in Sonoma County and if I could find a ruger for $200 or close I'd be all over it. Unfortunately everything seems to be closer to $300, which seems a bit much for .22.

How hard is it to mOunt a scope or optics to either of these? And how about bipod? I don't need to make it look like an mp5 or anything. Just a functional, efficient shooter.

Thanks for all the replies!

DinoPJR
04-04-2012, 11:15 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVUVB0z_5xQIgHSc9PVkKppfSAbw2y1 aryRA1DGzdgjHxA3hidaywJLxxgGg
lets see if that works that is a marlin

Ron-Solo
04-04-2012, 11:22 PM
The newer Rugers come with a scope rail. You should be able to find one on sale for $200-225 without too much difficulty. Both are good guns and you can't go wrong with either.

The Ruger magazines can be quickly loaded with the Butler Creek speed loader. It works on the factory mags as well as most aftermarket ones too.

Try gungenie.com for good prices. They work with local dealers where the dealer lists all their fees before you make the purchase. I've bought several from them and been very happy each time.

There are 5 10/22's and two Marlins in my safes. I like both, but prefer the Rugers. I bought two dozen 25 round mags before I retired from LE, just to make sure I had enough to last until I am no longer able to shoot. I don't know as much about the Marlin 795. I have a Model 60 and 75c, which is a short version of the 60. One of my Marlins is 30 years old and still going strong.

The .22 is a great platform for having a good time shooting.

DinoPJR
04-04-2012, 11:22 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=171319
check this thread out. it is for the 795 here on calguns. you can get a lot of answers there. I totally recommend the 795. here is a bipod that would mount to the swivel sling stud for the 795 http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Low-Profile-Universal-Picatinny-Swivel-Stud/dp/B000JIJ6Z8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333610374&sr=8-2

DinoPJR
04-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Ron- Solo you are a cool dude!

Excaliburr
04-05-2012, 6:44 AM
The problem is you are a couple of weeks late to the table for a 10/22. Ruger announced that they are not taking new orders because they cannot keep up with production. That led people to make purchases perhaps a little before they were ready. Varmint eradication is about to start up here in the north once the Weather cooperates. I did a Gun Genie search in your area and found none available. You would probably have to do a stock watch on the model you want and wait for the e-mail when one comes in to Davidsons. When it does, you will have to react fast. Wish you the best of luck catching one on sale these days. I have been to big 5 when they had the sale and an extra 10% off and they do not have any in stock. May as well not have a sale if they cannot get stock. Fact is, it is just a ploy to get you in the door these days. Gun sales are hotter than they ever have been. Marlin 795 probably will be easier to procure as less varmint shooters buy them. Most like the accessories available for the Ruger.

jbush
04-05-2012, 7:29 AM
I keep hearing about this shortage of Ruger 10/22s but both of the guns shops by me has them on sale. Maybe its a So Cal thing. One is a chain store with about 8 or 9 stores and the other is a LGS with 2 stores and both are running them on sale for 199 to 209 for the basic carbine. The chain has them for 209 until April 20th. Doesn't seem to be any shortage. They both have lots in stock. Walk in, tell them how many, pay the money, do the paperwork. This is the second time I've heard theres a shortage. Am I missing something or is it just NorCal.????

norcalcook
04-05-2012, 8:13 AM
Sounds like a NorCal thing. I'm in Sonoma County and I've called around to every gun shop within 30 miles- none of them have a single Marlin 795. ? There are a few shops that have the Ruger 10/22 but are asking between $279-$299 for the base carbine (Big 5 wants $339 for the "tactical model," which is nothing more than a carbine with a "flash suppressor and a rail up top" no open sites... although I could be wrong).

Northern CA seems to be a pretty depressing place to buy guns right now. As a side note, a place in Petaluma had the 10/22 Takedown- one left, but the price was around $349 (so more than what I was looking to pay).

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for Big 5 sales, but haven't been seeing much coming through. Maybe I'll just need to practice a bit of patience.

And from what it sounds like -quality on the Ruger is better. OTB accuracy advantage might go to the Marlin?

BomarFab
04-05-2012, 8:53 AM
Who had the TD for $349?

Markell's has good prices on most Ruger stuff, just not the TD right now. But he said he can get a few other models.

norcalcook
04-05-2012, 9:07 AM
Wael at Independence. He said he sold 4 or 5 in a matter of a day and had one left.

BomarFab
04-05-2012, 9:12 AM
Ahh, he told me $389. I probably would have done $349 though.

I have seen them online for $320 shipped, but then you pay transfer fee, etc and probably still pay the same amount.

norcalcook
04-05-2012, 9:16 AM
I could have misheard him too- driving in the car with speaker phone on. Anyways, is there any other major difference with that take-down model (other than the quick take down feature)?

And I'm still on the hunt for a Ruger 10/22 for less than $250... Shops locally also say Marlins won't be available for 1-2 months. I can't believe an election would do this? Or maybe Doomsday Preppers has catapulted the popularity of the once neglected .22?

stangmar
04-05-2012, 9:26 AM
I have a Marlin 795. I have never shot the Ruger 10/22 but I wish I bought that one instead.

It's much much much much easier to find magazines for them in California. Not to mention you can mount 3 of them together for easy and quick reloading. They are also much cheaper.

It's way more customizable. I never planned on customizing a 22, but the option itself is worth the extra bit of money.

BomarFab
04-05-2012, 9:40 AM
I could have misheard him too- driving in the car with speaker phone on. Anyways, is there any other major difference with that take-down model (other than the quick take down feature)?

And I'm still on the hunt for a Ruger 10/22 for less than $250... Shops locally also say Marlins won't be available for 1-2 months. I can't believe an election would do this? Or maybe Doomsday Preppers has catapulted the popularity of the once neglected .22?

The Take Down is essentially the same as the Stainless Synthetic model, except it comes apart. And at the moment, you cannot get an aftermarket barrel or stock for it. You could however upgrade things like the sights, trigger, receiver, etc.

For what I want it for, this is fine with me. I will get a standard Ruger in the future to modify.

Fellblade
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I just made this decision myself and went with the Ruger. Fortunately, Turners has them on sale and I was able to get it at $209.
For me, the deciding factor was partially nostalgia since when I was in scouts we had Rugers, but I also really like their rotary mag fitting fully within the rifle. Those two factors were worth the extra $50.

jbush
04-05-2012, 11:05 AM
OP back to your original question, after discussing price differences between north and south California. I have shot both. I think the Marlin might be a little more accurate out of the box. I'd do a tube feed Model 60 over 795, but I'd still take the Ruger over both if you can get it for a realistic price (200-250). I just think the availability of extra mags, addon intems, upgrades, etc make the Ruger a better longterm pick. Also believe the resale on the Ruger would be better if you decided to sell it. Not everyone wants to customize a 10/22, but it's nice to know you can if you want. (ya, I'm one of those guys who dumped about $650 in upgrades to 1 of my 10/22s). I don't think you'll be unhappy either way, but 10/22 seems more versatile.

rckjeep
04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm in Nor-Cal too and have both. I have a modded Tactical 10/22 as well as a LTR 10/22. I've set up my 795 as an LTR as well. Out of the box the 795 is slightly more accurate but seems more like a toy as far as the action goes. It's more complicated than the 10/22 action. I did a homebrew trigger job on the 10/22 with all factory parts and it'll shot as good if not better than the 795 now. The options for the 10/22 are nice and so is the amount of info in the web about it. If you find a decent deal on a 10/22 grab it. Here's some local price info that I've found in the San Jose area.

10/22 at Big 5 $269
795 at Big 5 $179

I bought my 795 thru Gun Genie/Reeds and paid $215 after the $25 rebate. The 10/22 in the same LTR configuration is a 1980 model that was handed down to me.

Steerme
04-05-2012, 10:38 PM
I went to buy the Marlin 795 and bought the Ruger for $209. I actually would have bought the Ruger take down rifle (for the purpose that I wanted a 22 semi-auto), but it became available 2 days after I put my 10/22 in jail.

Before you make a decision, go try removing the magazines of both. I liked the lower price of the Marlin. The Marlin felt fine in my hands. The Marlin is supposed to be more accurate out of the box between the two. The Marlin had sling stubs installed. The Marlin has an empty mag hold open. I had a very difficult time removing the magazine from the 795.

Good luck!

Excaliburr
04-06-2012, 7:36 AM
Yeah, you So Cal people have all the big warehouse stores down there with buying power. Turners is a good example. Up here in the North it seems like everything is out of stock most of the time. As soon as they get it, someone is there with their plastic. The stock is running out down there too though but it is at the beginning stages. Once the warehouse stores sell all their inventory and cannot restock because their orders are not being filled, you will feel the pain. Give it another month. Ammo is tough up here too, which is why most of us have resorted to reloading. We do not have the big money all you folks down there have, so we stay up late at night making up ammo for the next shooting day.

RazzB7
04-06-2012, 7:47 AM
I have the Marlin 795. It's a fun little plinker. I had one minor problem with it out of the box, first shooting session (about 40 rds in), broke the pin for the hammer spring. I went to the local hardware store and bought some music wire of the same diameter and replaced the pin, haven't had a problem with it since. (Marlin undoubtedly would have repaired it under warranty, I didn't feel like wasting the time on something I could easily and inexpensively fix myself) It's NOT a high quality rifle, it is manufactured to a price point for sure. It has some plastic where I would rather see metal. But it is definitely worth every penny that I paid for it.

I put the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope on it, so I have a $200 scope on a $120 rifle, but I'm ok with that.

One thing that was a must-have for me was the baby UpLula loader. The small rounds and metal lips on the magazines were taking some of the pleasure out of loading rounds for me.

I will probably get a 10/22 also. I like the concept of the takedown, so that may be in my near future.

norcalcook
04-06-2012, 9:07 AM
Well, now that I've got a 10/22 TakeDown in jail for the next 10 days (more than what I was planning on spending, but couldn't resist- looks like a pretty quality gun)... Any recommendations for optics/ scopes? Ammo? Or any other interesting accessories that would be good for a basic survival/ plinker. Thanks again for all the feedback and info.

DinoPJR
04-06-2012, 9:19 AM
Yeah, you So Cal people have all the big warehouse stores down there with buying power. Turners is a good example. Up here in the North it seems like everything is out of stock most of the time. As soon as they get it, someone is there with their plastic. The stock is running out down there too though but it is at the beginning stages. Once the warehouse stores sell all their inventory and cannot restock because their orders are not being filled, you will feel the pain. Give it another month. Ammo is tough up here too, which is why most of us have resorted to reloading. We do not have the big money all you folks down there have, so we stay up late at night making up ammo for the next shooting day.:sweatdrop: BOO HOO i buy all my ar and ak ammo online. no problems

BomarFab
04-06-2012, 9:48 AM
Well, now that I've got a 10/22 TakeDown in jail for the next 10 days (more than what I was planning on spending, but couldn't resist- looks like a pretty quality gun)... Any recommendations for optics/ scopes? Ammo? Or any other interesting accessories that would be good for a basic survival/ plinker. Thanks again for all the feedback and info.

I am considering one of the Nikon Rimfire scopes, since they have a $50 rebate going right now. That or a Leupold.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-ProStaff-Rimfire-Riflescope-Nikoplex/dp/B004MYBLXK/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_2

Dirtbikindad393
04-06-2012, 2:38 PM

Ammo:
Here is a good deal on good 22lr ammo Calguns Post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=556588)

Here is a pretty good deal on Federal 2100 rds with ammo can Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1214791&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=2c9d774dac107054697f43707063d938&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-216951&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp) and if you follow the instructions in the deals & coupons section for 1.89 cent shipping you will save a little more.

Scopes:
Do the Nikon Deal.....50.00 rebate on your choice of 3 22 lr scopes you can add it to your Cabela's order for almost no shipping.

Nikon Scopes (http://www.nikonhunting.com/)

I added 4 Ruger magazines for the 10/22 for 56.xx to my cabela's order too so it all ships for the 1.88 gloves +.01 cent or 1.89. :hurray:

Dean58
04-07-2012, 6:36 AM
So I picked up a 795 on a complete impulse buy (sale price plus 10% off coupon) last month while I was buying another gun (saving the additional fee for the 2nd gun). Impulse because I already have a Golden 39A bought in 70s, and a very nice Browning patent "Trombone" (Fabrique Nationale- Belgium from 30s handed down to me). Both have performed well for me through the years.

So what got me even thinking about *another* .22 rifle? I had been looking up something completely different (you know how it is on the Internet) when I came across this article and the subsequent articles:

http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2011/09/marlin-795-inexpensive-training-plinking-and-survival-rifle/

Then viewed this review on the 795:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUb2_sWorE

I had already trained my wife and daughter on a Mark II, ammo was light and cheap, and so decided that .22 cal would have to play a bigger strategic role as I consolidated some calibers in the safe. I then bought a CMMG .22 drop in bolt for my AR15, so the Mark II wouldn't feel so lonely in the BOB. I haven't shot with the CMMG yet, will write something up when I do.

Anyway...back to the 795. The good, the bad, and the ugly....Out of the box I was still amazed at how light it felt - great for my purpose! Length was short but felt comfortable, and could easily be a quick grab and go gun for any family member. The stock sights seemed "cheap", but I figured I would give them a chance before spending another $70 on some tech-sights (didn't want the extra bulk of a scope on this one). Tried to buy extra 10rd mags, but everywhere was out of stock (disappointed that there isn't a better aftermarket like the 10/22). Now the ugly....I grabbed the closest box of .22 ammo (happened to be Winchester bulk as my other .22s will eat anything) to load up the mag and check the cycling of the action. Inserted the mag and hit the bolt release.....bullet jammed and misformed. OK....try it again....same. grrrr. Took a closer look at the feed ramp and found it was far from smooth and was not aligning bullets to feed properly. Back to the internet.....found there were others out there that had the same experience, but solved it by polishing the feed ramp (in my case removing part of the cast line), and doing a detailed cleaning to get any remaining factory "goop" out....then light lube.

OK - I loaded up the mag with CCI Mini-mags, inserted it, hit the bolt release....everything smooth, just like I would expect from a new gun. Tried the Winchesters again - cycled fine. So I suppose I am disappointed in the "Mar-ington" QC. The 795 shoots great for me, super accurate even with the stock sights and my old eyes, so not going to add any sights or scope.

I went ahead and did my stock mod (per the article above), so now I have a very compact grab and go rifle with a simple sling and no extra stuff hanging off...and with the addition of 100 rds, a cleaning rod and survival gear stowed inside the stock, has a nice weight and balance and really good accuracy. I can understand why they are so popular at Appleseed.

Did I wish I got the Ruger? Tell you what.....as I was pulling out the dremel to smooth and polish the feed ramp it certainly went through my mind....and again when I was searching for extra mags (ended up finding some at Big 5 for 17.99)....but this 795 fulfills it's purpose for me.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either.....just practice and have fun!

Jason P
04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I would've said the Marlin 795 a month ago, no questions asked. While I still prefer every aspect of the Marlin over the Ruger instinctively, I can't say I believe the hype any longer myself. After a failed firing pin, broken trigger guard and a resultant AD later, and I'm honestly not so sure. Nothing but Federal bulk pack ammo either, no hyper velocity etc etc crap.

I've never shot a 10/22 as accurate as my 795 out of the box. I've also never heard of a Ruger having so many problems. Lord knows my Ruger P95 9mm is a brute I'd trust my life to without question. It is an effing tank.

I made a new firing pin for the Marlin, installed the DIProducts trigger and guard and have gone through the action with a fine toothed comb. I would now trust the 795 to do what I once erroneously assumed it would do from the get go. Here's hoping, I do love my Marlin after all:)

DinoPJR
04-07-2012, 10:35 PM
I have shot over 3000 rounds through my marlin 795 and have had zero problems. Nothing broken. A few fte but probably from not being cleaned.

theOriginalPosition
10-01-2012, 9:20 AM
I've shot my first 1000 rounds through my Marin 795 and I have no problem shooting bowling pin silhouettes at 75 yards with the iron sights.

It takes a little getting used to, but there's a lot of fun in "getting to know" your gun. I've got to adjust my shot slightly to the left on the front sight.

But the Marlin is accurate and dependable.