PDA

View Full Version : AR15 .22 Conversion Kits

pmoradi2002
04-04-2012, 2:12 PM
Anybody have one? How do you like it, any problems? Where did you get yours from?

I'm thinking about getting one since I need a .22 to shoot and a kit is cheaper than a new weapon.

deviljon
04-04-2012, 2:44 PM
I don't have a conversion but I do have a dedicated 22 upper from CMMG. Mate that with a New Frontier Armory $100 complete lower and you have a dedicated AR-22 for 4=500 dollars, no bullet button necessary.

ETA: If you only run the conversion, you will have to adjust your sights/optics depending on what you're shooting. I didn't want to deal with that as well as the whole swapping uppers and bullet button crap, so the choice was clear for me.

testarija@yahoo.com
04-04-2012, 3:59 PM
I bought a 22 conversion kit and sold it. At 50 yards, I first shot about 100 rounds of the .223 and was dialed in on my target. Then droped in the conversion kit and had no idea where the bullets where going. My guess was the drastic elavation change from the .223 to .22LR. That's when I decided it's too much of an adjustment between bullets so I sold it. Ended up buying a Savage 64 TRR-SR as my dedicated .22LR rifle. So my suggestion save your money for a .22LR rifle.

shadow65
04-04-2012, 4:32 PM
CMMG stainl;ess conversion is the only decent option in my testing and opinion.
Accuracy depends on your particular barrel/ammo combo.
I've seen guys with 1/7 barrels shoot 1.5" at 50 yards.
Not typical but some will.

I personally believe everyone that owns a 5.56 AR should invest in at least a conversion kit for several reasons I won't go into. Just think cheap, quiet, can carry lots of ammo, will take small game and larger preditors with a correct shot placement.

Generally a conversion with CCI mini mags and a 1/9 barrel will shoot 2-3" at 50 yards. Still good enough for training.

POI will generally be about 2" low and possibly right or left from the 5.56 poi at 50 yards. Now if you have A2 sights, you can figure out what adjustments you need to make for .22

I too prefer the dedicated upper just so my poi is on.

If you need pricing on a CMMG, PM me.
Dave N

RIP_CITY_707
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
YOUR BEST BET FROM ALL OF MY RESEARCH IS TO GET A DEDICATED UPPER . A STANDARD .223/556 UPPER IS 1/7,1/8,1/9 WHICH IS TOO FAST FOR SUCH A SMALL BULLET. ALL OF THE DEDICATED UPPERS FOR .22 COME IN A 1/16 TWIST. TOO MUCH TWIST WILL CAUSE THE BULLET TO TUMBLE. TACTICAL SOLUTIONS CARRIES SOME VERY NICE UPPERS.

ccandgc
04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I have a Spikes Tactical .22 upper. Kids love to shoot it, and it's actually pretty fun.

Munny$hot
04-09-2012, 2:28 PM
Shadow is dead on and the guy to buy from for a 22lr conversion (cheapest anywhere). If your looking to shot clover leafs at 50yrds with Federal Bulk ammo buy a CZ 452 or a 10/22 etc, pillar bed, freefloat, and a trigger job. For all out fun and shoot things to pieces with great accuracy with the same platform as your go to rig, than get a CMMG bolt kit. The money you'll save from buying a dedicated upper that will only shoot 22lr will be at least 250.00. The money is better spent towards an Aimpoint or Eotech

Horta
04-16-2012, 11:46 PM
CMMG stainl;ess conversion is the only decent option in my testing and opinion.
Accuracy depends on your particular barrel/ammo combo.
I've seen guys with 1/7 barrels shoot 1.5" at 50 yards.
Not typical but some will.

I personally believe everyone that owns a 5.56 AR should invest in at least a conversion kit for several reasons I won't go into. Just think cheap, quiet, can carry lots of ammo, will take small game and larger preditors with a correct shot placement.

Generally a conversion with CCI mini mags and a 1/9 barrel will shoot 2-3" at 50 yards. Still good enough for training.

POI will generally be about 2" low and possibly right or left from the 5.56 poi at 50 yards. Now if you have A2 sights, you can figure out what adjustments you need to make for .22

I too prefer the dedicated upper just so my poi is on.

If you need pricing on a CMMG, PM me.
Dave N

I respectfully disagree. My experience with a CMMG stainless .22 conversion has been much worse than 2-3 inches at 50 yards with CCI mini mags. It has been more like 6 inches all over the target at that distance with a 1 in 9 in. barrel twist. That is with a 1.5x5 mark 4 Leupold scope on the rail that shoots dead-on with .223 at that distance. There is no training value with this conversion in my opinion. Folks should save up and get a dedicated AR style .22 for a more realistic shooting experience.

freonr22
04-16-2012, 11:52 PM
YOUR BEST BET FROM ALL OF MY RESEARCH IS TO GET A DEDICATED UPPER . A STANDARD .223/556 UPPER IS 1/7,1/8,1/9 WHICH IS TOO FAST FOR SUCH A SMALL BULLET. ALL OF THE DEDICATED UPPERS FOR .22 COME IN A 1/16 TWIST. TOO MUCH TWIST WILL CAUSE THE BULLET TO TUMBLE. TACTICAL SOLUTIONS CARRIES SOME VERY NICE UPPERS.

Actually a standard ar15 upper is 20" 1/12 which would work well with a conversion. Now if you are speaking m4, that maybe different