PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22

off grid
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Hello All
I picked up a real nice old carbine yesterday and will be getting it out of jail in a couple of weeks.
Question
Any required updates to these old timers or leave it alone.
Thanks
Off Grid

7.62x63mmUS
04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I'd say at the minimum an extended magazine release.

SoCal Bob
04-04-2012, 1:18 PM
First order of business is to take it to the range and shoot it. If you like it, then you might consider leaving it alone. If the trigger is not to your liking then many trigger upgrades are available. If you have extractor issues then a VQ extractor is a really simple drop in, I put VQ's in both of ours. As 7.62x63mmUS said an extended mag release is another possibility, especially if it has the older recessed type.

Rimfirecentral.com is a great source of info for 10/22's and all rimfires.

off grid
04-04-2012, 5:58 PM
Thanks
I will shot it first, but I think both items will be in the works.
Thank guys
Offgrid

Matt640h
04-04-2012, 6:32 PM
Auto bolt release so you don't have to fiddle with that stupid stock bolt release. It is an easy mod you can swap in or do yourself. Like Bob said, rimfirecentral.com is great!

jm13690
04-04-2012, 6:55 PM
Auto bolt release and the extended mag are great. But I will say you won't stop there once you start converting it. Next thing you will do is want a new stock, barrel and trigger. Remember you are now dealing with a grown up set of Legos, you can customize a 10/22 very easily.

off grid
04-04-2012, 9:55 PM
I will look at the auto release, but I think the old stock with the curved back end and metal but plate are cool, just me but if I could keep those 2 items and trick out the rest of the system that would be the shiz for me. Also what barrel and scope are you folks liking on these?
Off Grid

capntim
04-04-2012, 11:54 PM
I bought a mid eighties 10/22/off one of my buddies sight unseen
with the plans of parting it out and make a custom out of it. Once
I got I didnt have the heart to do. The older ones just look so much
better. She's staying stock and I will just have to wait to make my
custom heavy barrel another day. Like said before, the rimfire central
site is great as well as the ruger site.
Tim

orthopod
04-05-2012, 1:44 AM
Auto bolt release and the extended mag are great. But I will say you won't stop there once you start converting it. Next thing you will do is want a new stock, barrel and trigger. Remember you are now dealing with a grown up set of Legos, you can customize a 10/22 very easily.

Any specific recommendations for a good auto bolt release and extended mag release?

Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I will look at the auto release, but I think the old stock with the curved back end and metal but plate are cool, just me but if I could keep those 2 items and trick out the rest of the system that would be the shiz for me. Also what barrel and scope are you folks liking on these?
Off Grid

Not sure what style your looking for, but I personally think the Tech-sights are the BEST single upgrade for these guns. Tech sights an a volquerson hammer an if your not getting tight groups after adding those then look at replacing the barell with somthing lightweight unless your looking for one of those bench gun style rifles for shooting flies.

AragornElessar86
04-05-2012, 1:32 PM
Auto bolt release, extended mag release, polish the trigger group and bolt assembly.

JNunez23
04-05-2012, 8:58 PM
Auto bolt release and the extended mag release will be a must..and a good cleaning won't hurt.

I would go with Volquartsen or Power Custom for the internal parts.

theduece
04-05-2012, 9:37 PM
The biltong release can be done yourself useing a file or dremel. Really easy. As for the mag release I like ruger stock.. But it's all I've used so ymmv

rckjeep
04-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I've got a hand me down 1980 carbine and I only did the auto bolt release and replaced the mag release with the extended factory Ruger release. Oh and I did my own trigger job bringing the trigger down to around 2.5-3lb. range. All using factory parts. So it's still stock :) and one of the best shooters I've got. The only after market parts are the Tech Sights which I highly recommend.

AragornElessar86
04-06-2012, 9:09 PM
+1 on the tech sights. Factory 10/22 sights are teh suck.

Volquartsen makes some great components, but you can get a great trigger and action by just doing some basic polishing on the stock parts, and for practically free.

off grid
04-06-2012, 9:34 PM
Hey guys
Thanks for the input so far.
I checked serial number and it is a 1971 model.
Thanks
Off Grid

Jack L
04-07-2012, 7:45 AM
I've got a hand me down 1980 carbine and I only did the auto bolt release and replaced the mag release with the extended factory Ruger release. Oh and I did my own trigger job bringing the trigger down to around 2.5-3lb. range. All using factory parts. So it's still stock :) and one of the best shooters I've got. The only after market parts are the Tech Sights which I highly recommend.

That's some good chages and all that is needed, and maybe a scope of choice. If I want more I'll buy a built Volquartsen or other full on custom rig and be done with it.

bigcalidave
04-07-2012, 8:51 AM
Once you get up to about $900 in parts they get really fun!! Lol

DeLaSeoulRZN
04-07-2012, 8:58 AM
Auto bolt release, extended mag release, polish the trigger group and bolt assembly.

what Aragorn says...polishing the internals is a great way to get to know your gun. What say you? :-)

Pete1979
04-07-2012, 9:07 AM
Hey guys
Thanks for the input so far.
I checked serial number and it is a 1971 model.
Thanks
Off Grid

Buy it, shoot it, then see what you need. I have an 82 model I bought a couple years ago and a new one I picked up last week, they shoot the same but the older one looks like they cared a little more when they built it.

off grid
04-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Took the old carbine to the ranch last weekend. Shoots as good as my newer model. Scope came off tonight as It was vintage weaver D4 and my old eyes had a hard time with it. I just put on a simmons 3x9 that wass in tha cabinet.
I do see what you guys say about the bolt release. That will probably be the only thing I upgrade for now.
Anybody need an old Weaver D4 made in the USA. I will trade for a magazine or 2 if someone wants it.
Offgrid