PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a .22 project gun...

bobgengeskahn
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
So I am thinking about picking up a .22 bolt action in the near future, but I am not sure what direction to go. Right now I am on a budget and would like to stay ~$200 range for a bolt action, but am also looking down the road.

Right now this rifle will be to teach my girlfriend to shoot, along with general plinking around. However, I don't want my price point now to confine my ability later with it, but I really know nothing about the aftermarket for bolt action rifles.

Now I have a Browning Semi-Auto .22 and a Buckmark, so I have the semi auto bases covered, which is why I am staying away from the 10/22 route (and I don't want to have more into this rifle than my car); and I want something a little slower paced, thus looking at a bolty instead of a lever.

I haven't completely ruled out the idea of a .22 WMR or a .17, but like I said, I really don't know where to start with rimfire bolt actions. So any input would be awesome. Thanks!

NOTABIKER
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
you can get a very good savage mark 2 for around 175-200 bucks. at my local range i see a lot of savages . i bought my FV with bull barrel and acu-triger for 240 bucks. put a 70 dollar wallmart scope on it. my 10 year old grand son can hit 1/2 dollar size targets at 50 yards all day.

sofbak
04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
you can get a very good savage mark 2 for around 175-200 bucks. at my local range i see a lot of savages . i bought my FV with bull barrel and acu-triger for 240 bucks. put a 70 dollar wallmart scope on it. my 10 year old grand son can hit 1/2 dollar size targets at 50 yards all day.

This. Start with an FV, break it in and get used to it. Then toss the plastic stock for your choice of Boyds replacement units. Add heavy bottom metal, a good scope and then start doing this at 50 yds all day long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/sofbak/6_shot_group.jpg

Find the right ammo, tune your action screw torque for optimum performance, and then start doing this all day long at 50 yds (shooting primes out of 12 ga shot shells):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/sofbak/shotgunshell.jpg

My son and I have tuned MK II "V" models in boyds stocks, and they really do this kind of precision. I have made some other custom changes to the stocks, but the basic MK II V actions are stock factory units with no mods at all.

YMMV, but it is an excellent platform from a cost/performance comparison

hth

FredoSD
04-04-2012, 3:53 PM
I recently picked up a used Savage MKII. I've been having cheap fun getting it dialed in.
Good deals out there on used bolt actions. I added a scope and bipod.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Fredo/leather/bipod2.jpg

bobgengeskahn
04-04-2012, 9:31 PM
Wow, thats really impressive. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one... the pickings are slim in the bay area. I miss having a Turners 15 min in any direction....

jbush
04-05-2012, 7:36 AM
Don't rule out the 17 if you want longer distances and very accurate later on. But, remember to ammos not cheap like a 22. I really like shooting my 17 bolt gun at 100 yds, but still end up shooting my 22 after a while cuz it so much cheaper.

NOTABIKER
04-06-2012, 2:49 PM
i did a lot of reading up before i bought the savage. it seems the 10-22 is popular with the modding guys. i like the savage AS IS. i am proud of this rifle.