PDA

View Full Version : "High Powered Weapons"

1SGMAT
04-19-2007, 8:52 PM
Posted this as a comment in another thread but wanted it to get viewed by more CAL GUNNERS to see if I am Way Off Base. Thanks.

Is it just me or is anyone else picking up on the new lingo by the gun control freaks. It used to be Assault Weapons or high capacity this and that. The new buzz word that they are trying to get mainstream seems to be "High Powered". I have heard it no less than 10 times from different anti's and multiple times in some interviews. I think they are setting up the next ban. Ban all "High Power" weapons.

Am I way off? Should I get a tin foil hat?

taloft
04-19-2007, 9:00 PM
Actually, they switch up from time to time so that their lame catch phrases don't become stale. They like to keep the shock value fresh for the sheeple.

FatKatMatt
04-19-2007, 9:06 PM
What defines "high power"? Is there actually a technical definition? Because I heard an anti call a Glock "high power" and another anti call certain bolt action "sniper rifles" high power. This is quite confusing, I assume they do this on purpose.

Bad Voodoo
04-19-2007, 9:06 PM
Actually, and I'm surprised nobody saw and commented on this, but Harry Smith from the CBS Morning Show, used those exact words on Tuesday during an interview to describe semi-automatic handguns and went on to say "yeah, they're basically like high-capacity automatic weapons that can be used to "spray" bullets into victims."

Couldn't believe my ears.

-voodoo

The SoCal Gunner
04-19-2007, 9:18 PM
My firearms aren't high powered. My nail-gun is but sometimes I can't get it to power up.

That's my definition.

Cardinal Sin
04-19-2007, 9:24 PM
These people are "High Powered Idiots" Tell me which is more dangerous . . .the gun or the idiot politician?

LAK Supply
04-19-2007, 9:25 PM
Just like those high-capacity pistol grips that can cause a weapon to shoot thousands of people all by itself without reloading? :p :mad:

The SoCal Gunner
04-19-2007, 9:37 PM
or the thing on the shoulder that goes up!

hoffmang
04-19-2007, 9:46 PM
Tucker Carlson pointed out that there was no such thing as a low powered firearm.

I think that's the best way to defuse this phrase. Just ask what a low or normal powered firearm is exactly.

-Gene

DedEye
04-19-2007, 9:49 PM
Next thing you know they'll claim Cho was using high powered weapons, like his super high powered Walther P22 :rolleyes:!

mcubed4130
04-19-2007, 9:50 PM
Yep... I better make sure my HIGH POWER .22 pistol is... Oh wait... I'm sorry... I was temporarily sucked into another dimension where a .22 was powerful...

Nice to be back to reality. Where's my HIGH POWER 12 gauge! Ahh here it is... nicely locked up and safe... Which gives me just enough time to unlock it and load it with buckshot while my great dane attacks whoever comes through the door/window/wall/whatever... :D

-M3

SemiAutoSam
04-19-2007, 9:54 PM
Aren't you guys tired of the full auto assault politicians ?

I sure am.

There is a point where we all will say OK thats it I have reached my limit to the stupidity of the politicians.

We need to make them accountable for their actions in the moronic and unconstitutional laws they create.

I would love to see a law that puts a lawmaker in PRISON for creating another law that violates someones constitutional rights.

Cardinal Sin
04-19-2007, 9:59 PM
Amen to that!!!

mcubed4130
04-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I'd just be happy - if enough people tell Boxer and Feinstien - to go look for work in some other country.

-M3

1SGMAT
04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Go look for work, period!

SLYoteBoy
04-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Ive heard "high power" on cnn when it was the national gun owner rep , vs the brady campaing pres or rep. "high power" lol as opposed to low power? his .22 is "high power", I have a gang of "high power" weapons then.

turinreza
04-20-2007, 12:39 AM
the 22 is one step up from the pellet from a pellet gun

high powered my arse..

rips31
04-20-2007, 3:45 PM
My firearms aren't high powered. My nail-gun is but sometimes I can't get it to power up.

That's my definition.

high powered would mean going to europe for the 220v. :D

GTKrockeTT
04-20-2007, 3:57 PM
i wonder if they'll ever release autopsy reports that would indicate how many people actually died because of the P22 versus the Glock 19.

AfricanHunter
04-20-2007, 4:01 PM
Next thing you know they'll claim Cho was using high powered weapons, like his super high powered Walther P22 :rolleyes:!

I actually heard them refer to his 22 as a high powered weapon. :eek:

edsel6502
04-20-2007, 4:34 PM
"High Powered"?

I would pay mad bank for a ganja powered firearm.

sintax
04-20-2007, 4:44 PM
"High Powered"?

I would pay mad bank for a ganja powered firearm.

That would be WAY too expensive to feed...prices these days are way out of wack...

btw happy 4/20

-hanko
04-20-2007, 4:46 PM
I've shot NRA high power 8-10 times a year for the last 20 or so years.

Interesting that some of us are just as worried if a gun enthuiast uses the word 'weapon'. All the wording is in the context of the rifle's use: for a cop or soldier it's a weapon, for some of us a tool, for others a gun.

Some may even think 'tactical' referrs to the weapon, not how it's regularly used:D

I can personally verify that an m16 on the fa setting does a very good job of spraying bullets;)

-hanko

paradox
04-20-2007, 5:43 PM
That would be WAY too expensive to feed...prices these days are way out of wack...

but can you grow smokeless powder, copper, brass, and lead in your backyard?

artherd
04-21-2007, 1:23 AM
Tucker Carlson pointed out that there was no such thing as a low powered firearm.

I think that's the best way to defuse this phrase. Just ask what a low or normal powered firearm is exactly.

-Gene

I always thought, before the antis got into the term, a High Powered rifle was generally distinguished as having a bottlenecked case, and a much higher muzzle velocity than it's couterpart.

.30Carbine would be a low-powered or normal rifle catridge, and say .308 Win would definately qualify as a high-powered rifle.

All handguns are 'low powered' (with the possible exception of the FN 5.7x28, a bottlenecked round.)

The distinction is also valid when considering what it takes to detonate Tannerite, a binary precussion explosive. A rifle-legenth carbine like a Ruger PC9 will not do it, nor will a .22LR or .30Carbine. A .223 or .308 sure will.

The distinction is imprecise.

CalNRA
04-21-2007, 2:56 AM
a high-power politician like Ted Kennedy killed more people than my guns, all 10 of them, combined!!!!

Yankee Clipper
04-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I always thought, before the antis got into the term, a High Powered rifle was generally distinguished as having a bottlenecked case, and a much higher muzzle velocity than it's couterpart.
.30Carbine would be a low-powered or normal rifle catridge, and say .308 Win would definately qualify as a high-powered rifle.
All handguns are 'low powered' (with the possible exception of the FN 5.7x28, a bottlenecked round.)
The distinction is also valid when considering what it takes to detonate Tannerite, a binary precussion explosive. A rifle-legenth carbine like a Ruger PC9 will not do it, nor will a .22LR or .30Carbine. A .223 or .308 sure will.
The distinction is imprecise.
Ben has explained what 'High Power' is better than I could. It would be silly for us to argue with the anti's over mangled firearm descriptions. They've taken a page from Madison Avenue and inserted emotional hype into firearm descriptions. If we use the correct terminology, instead of that of the media's 'word-smiths', I would think their writing and rantings will start to look foolish.

Pulsar
04-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Only high power gun I can think of is a Browning Hi-power.

I didn't realize such an expensive gun was so popular among the criminal element.