PDA

View Full Version : checking handgun serial # if it is stolen, etc.

tenringtaz
04-19-2007, 6:44 PM
Need advice;

I am interested in some handguns a person has for sale, but they are not sure of the history of the guns. They have had them a long time (some more than 25 years) and they bought them privately, not through a shop.

Is there a way to have the serial number run for the gun to check if it was stolen, or otherwise identified as potentially being a gun that should not be bought?

I realize that if there is any doubt, don't get involved. What I am asking for is if there is a way to have the serial number checked?

Thanks!
TAZ

AJAX22
04-19-2007, 6:50 PM
yep, just buy them

if they're stolen the PD will come and talk with the seller

if not then everything is normal

sintax
04-19-2007, 7:02 PM
I'm kinda curious about this too....

I have a family member who has a OLD auto pocket pistol, .25 cal I think, and it was supposed to be destroyed (court order), and lets just say it never made it there. This occurred close to 40 yrs back i'd guess.

Just curious what would happen if I attempted to transfer it =)

tenringtaz
04-19-2007, 8:51 PM
AJAX22 - I probably would do that except he is a good friend of mine and I don't want him to get into any trouble (he's in enough already, thus the liquidation of the guns). He did not steal them, this I know, but he did acquire them long ago and he had his doubts then.

So... I still need to know -
Is there a way to have the serial number run for the gun to check if it was stolen, or otherwise identified as potentially being a gun that should not be bought?

tgriffin
04-19-2007, 8:54 PM
yes there is. Its risky, but take the serial numbers to your local police station and have them run them.

Matt C
04-19-2007, 8:58 PM
yes there is. Its risky, but take the serial numbers to your local police station and have them run them.

Heh, good for if you want to spend some time in jail. Call with the numbers from a payphone.

Shane916
04-19-2007, 9:32 PM
They can easily run it in AFS to see the status of the handgun. Will they.. that's another story.

sorensen440
04-19-2007, 9:39 PM
Im not sure why you would call from a payphone
If you found out they were stolen would you really want to risk keeping them?
also dont forget about they rightfull owner

FreedomIsNotFree
04-19-2007, 10:31 PM
If anyone thinks the police are going to run the numbers without the firearm in their hands they are mistaken.

Matt C
04-19-2007, 10:39 PM
If anyone thinks the police are going to run the numbers without the firearm in their hands they are mistaken.

Give me a serial number and I will prove you wrong ;)

FreedomIsNotFree
04-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Give me a serial number and I will prove you wrong ;)

Its my understanding that, and it could very well be wrong, a police officer can indeed run a serial number with little problem. Where I see the problem is if/when the serial number comes back stolen...

tenringtaz
04-20-2007, 1:24 AM
...Where I see the problem is if/when the serial number comes back stolen...

Exactly my concern - I am not interested in getting in trouble. If the gun is stolen, I am happy to let the police have it, but only if I can remain out of any legal action they may take...

Bit of a catch-22 I think... <sigh>

I have a LEO in the family and another at church - I will ask them and see what they think. They're about the only 2 cops I trust - completely. Not that other ones are not trustworthy, but, they are part of the GOVERNMENT - and THAT... I do NOT trust...

JGarrison
04-20-2007, 4:21 AM
I asked a friend cop that same question, he said they can run the numbers but if it comes back stolen, they have to keep the gun. Thus they won't run the numbers unless they actually have the gun, even as a favor. Cause how would they explain why they ran the gun if it comes back stolen and they don't actually have the gun?

doctor_vals
04-20-2007, 4:34 AM
I have a LEO in the family and another at church - I will ask them and see what they think. They're about the only 2 cops I trust - completely. Not that other ones are not trustworthy, but, they are part of the GOVERNMENT - and THAT... I do NOT trust...

You're right!

stevie
04-20-2007, 5:29 AM
I did this about 20 years ago. Call police gave info, they knocked on my door about an hour later to pick up the gun since it was stolen.. gave info from who i bought it from and that was the last i heard from the PD. Now getting the money from the seller took a few months... since it turned out he stole it.

JPglee1
04-21-2007, 4:00 PM

Call your local sheriffs department (NOT 911!) and ask to speak to their watch captain or someone who can help you run a S/N

When they ask why, tell them you want to check the #s before you leave a deposit at the pawnshop incase they ARE stolen (remember if that did happen the LEO aint gonna give you back your $$ when they find the stolen gun it will just get returned and you're out)

I usually call them from a payphone with the #s and have them run them. If they say good to go then you have your seller meet you at the FFL/Pawnshop and continue the transaction.

Its pretty simple really. One dispatch lady got weirded out by my request and I told her that I had bought a pistol on consigment from another seller and it was stolen and I lost all my $$ so I dont want that to happen again... At that point it made sense to her and she had no qualms helpin me out.

Good luck

J

P.S. They will also tell you if its currently registered or not as well.. :D

devjunk762
04-21-2007, 4:34 PM
O.k., so you're all saying that the serial numbers won't register a "hit" in the (all) mighty, CADOJ database as being stolen. :eek:

Wow, I guess that I put too much faith into the whole 10 DROSING process... I thought that this EXTENSIVELY checked all facets of the gun transaction, including your political party affiliation, blood type, number of pets in the household, and yes... whether the gun was stolen or not.:D