PDA

View Full Version : Brady half-truths revealed.

jumbopanda
04-19-2007, 5:56 PM
I came across this "fact sheet" put out by the Brady Campaign, which deals with the effects of the Australian gun buy-back program. The Brady Campaign believes that the program was a huge success, and significantly curbed crime.

But here's the funny part: all of their statistics deal with percentages of crimes committed with firearms, rather than the overall number of crimes in that category. After checking the source that they cited, reports published by the Austrailian Institute of Criminology, I made some interesting discoveries.

One Brady half-truth states: Homicides committed with
firearms have been declining – from 21 percent of all homicides in 1997 to 16 percent in 2002-2003.

But upon inspecting the data, shown here:

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/facts/2004/facts_and_figures_2004.pdf

I found out that the overall homicide rate did not decline at all. In fact, it has remained fairly consistent from 1993-2003.

Another half truth: Along with the declining use of firearms in homicide, Australia saw a 44% decline in the use of
firearms in armed robberies from 1993 to 2003.[6] From 1997 to 2003, the proportion of robberies
committed with a firearm dropped from 10 to 6 percent.[7, 8]

Again, the total number of all armed robberies did not decrease at all. In fact, the numbers peaked a year after the buy-back was introduced.

So I guess homicide and robbery are just fine and dandy, as long as you don't use a firearm while doing it. :rolleyes:

cartman
04-20-2007, 1:12 PM
Bracy bunch would tell people guns kill people on their own if they thought people would believe it

chiefcrash
04-20-2007, 1:53 PM
i actually used the brady campaign website as the basis of a report i had to do for my "Critical Thinking Psychology" class last year...

the teacher was quit impressed with my work...

chiefcrash
04-20-2007, 1:54 PM
Bracy bunch would tell people guns kill people on their own if they thought people would believe it

we should refer the brady bunch to this website: http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/

tgriffin
04-20-2007, 3:36 PM
Hinkley was naught but the catalyst my friend. If you think Sarah brady is the mastermind of anything think twice. They are puppets.

lazyworm
04-20-2007, 3:40 PM
One Brady half-truth states: [...]

You're too nice to them. I'd flat out call those LIES :p