PDA

View Full Version : C&r???

tmuller
04-19-2007, 3:32 PM
I've tried the search and I don't have time to read everything with C&R in it and nothing shows up under FAQ. I'm new to CA...can someone tell me what this is. Thanks!!

Kestryll
04-19-2007, 3:40 PM
In general firearms terms 'C&R' refers to weapons that are 'Curio & Relics'.
These are items that either through age, unusualness or historic value are regulated in a different manner than newer or current firearms.

You can apply to the BATFE and get a Class 03 FFL (Federal Firearms License) and buy and trade C&R eligible items with other collectors.
A rifle or handgun is considered to be 'C&R eligible' on a National level when the BATFE adds it o the list of C&R weapons.
Here in California there are other strictures that apply as well.

That's a basic overview of what a C&R weapon is in it's most usd format on a gun board. I hope this helps but if it doesn't ask some more questions and those with a better grasp on it will have answers! ;)

tmuller
04-19-2007, 5:16 PM
curio and relics...I'm from AZ and when I think of Class 3 I think of machine guns and supressors. What are the benefits of having C&R and is this a different type of Class 3 than that required to get machine guns and silencers? How difficult is it to obtain this liscense? Is it the same finger print cards one to my local sherrif and one to the ATF? I don't need a machine gun or silencer but I love wheel guns and I'm not sure what's on the CA list...all this is a bit confusing to me so far. Another case of CA resident trying to abide by law and struggling to find out what the law even is. Icalled DOJ and SD county SO and they keep telling me to call each other. At one point I got the number to a woman in Sac and she told me that it was impossible to get class 3 in CA and that's why I sold some of my fun toy b4 I left AZ. Thanks again for the help guys...any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-19-2007, 5:25 PM
Right above this forum is the C&R bunch. Dive into there and fish around for lots of good info, especially howto file for your 03 FFL and where to go with it to drain your bank account.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

This might be a good place for info also.
http://www.cruffler.com/becomingcruffler.html

Vick

Kestryll
04-19-2007, 9:32 PM
BTT for someone more familiar with Class 3 licensing to answer, I'm not too familiar with it myself.

slick_711
04-19-2007, 9:37 PM
That kind've makes me want to get an 03 FFL. Doesn't look all that difficult (federally) although I'm not familiar with what good it would do me in CA, I'll have to look into it. Holding a C&R FFL does entitle you to directly receive C&R weapons right? Would the CA 10 day wait still apply?

thedrickel
04-19-2007, 9:39 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=46671

With an 03 you can receive long guns but not hand guns. You can go out of state, buy them, import them and register with the DOJ for 19$ per handgun. If you get your COE too you are exempt from the one handgun dealer sale per 30 days rule.

EOD Guy
04-20-2007, 7:00 AM
That kind've makes me want to get an 03 FFL. Doesn't look all that difficult (federally) although I'm not familiar with what good it would do me in CA, I'll have to look into it. Holding a C&R FFL does entitle you to directly receive C&R weapons right? Would the CA 10 day wait still apply?

A lot of people confuse Class 3 and Type 03. A C&R FFL is a Type 03 FFL. It has nothing directly to do with NFA firearms, although some NFA firearms are also C&R.

Here is a short synopsis of the California C&R rules.

There is a lot of confusion around concerning the California regulations on C&R Firearms. The first thing to remember is that California, with few exceptions, requires all firearms transfers in the state to be processed through a dealer [Penal Code 12072(d)]. There is no exception for C&R FFL holders. There is however, an exception to the dealer transfer requirement for C&R rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old. [PC 12078(t)(2)] This exception is available to anyone legally able to possess firearms. California doesn’t care if you are licensed or not, that’s a Federal matter. The 50 year rifle and shotgun exception is the reason that C&R FFL holders in California can receive these types of firearms directly from an out of state supplier.

The California definition for a C&R firearm is exactly the same as that used by BATF in 27CFR. California references both Title 18 and 27 CFR for the definition. If the Feds say a firearm is C&R, so does the California DOJ.

There are a couple of exceptions to the firearms laws that are available to C&R FFL holders. If the licensee also holds a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the California DOJ, they are exempt from the 10-day waiting period when buying C&R firearms from a dealer. [PC 12078(t)(1)] The same C&R FFL holder with a COE is also exempt from the one handgun a month law for both C&R and modern handguns. [PC 12072(a)(9)(B)] You also would not need a handgun safety certificate when purchasing C&R handguns. [PC 12807(a)(6)]

Where the C&R FFL comes in handy is when the holder is out of the state. They may purchase any C&R firearm and bring it back to California. The exceptions of course include those “evil” “assault weapons”. Also, magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds cannot be brought back. Any C&R handguns purchased must be registered with the California DOJ within 5 days and are reported on Form BCIA 4100A along with a $19.00 payment for each handgun. [PC 12072(f)(3)] The form is now on the California DOJ web site, forms section.

chiefcrash
04-20-2007, 7:37 AM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

really great info on that page, as well as the rest of the site. go check 'em out

In short, here's my summary:

A C&R license is $35, and it's good for 3 years. If you're eligible to buy a handgun, you will get a license if you apply.

Your C&R license allows (depending on state and local laws) for C&R eligible weapons to be shipped straight to your door. the C&R license if for COLLECTING ONLY, you can not do business with it. It's fine to sell a few of your rifles from time to time, but you can't do regular business.

The only requirement you must comply with is keeping a "bound book". Basically, it's a record of every C&R gun you recieve and sell, and who you bought it from or sold it to.

slick_711
04-20-2007, 10:25 AM
A lot of people confuse Class 3 and Type 03. A C&R FFL is a Type 03 FFL. It has nothing directly to do with NFA firearms, although some NFA firearms are also C&R.

Here is a short synopsis of the California C&R rules.

Not sure what part of my post made you think I wasn't aware of that, but thank you for clarifying for the others. I work at a shop that deals in "class 3" weapons, I'm aware of the difference. :cool:

tmuller
04-20-2007, 10:43 AM
and thank you all for the clarification. I have bought guns at AZ gun shows before that were more than 50yrs old and never needed anything other than my AZ CCW. I am just learning what I need to do in this crazy place to continue my enjoyment of owning firearms. Again thanks to all for the clarification and assistance.

EOD Guy
04-21-2007, 6:55 AM
Not sure what part of my post made you think I wasn't aware of that, but thank you for clarifying for the others. I work at a shop that deals in "class 3" weapons, I'm aware of the difference. :cool:

It wasn't so much your post, but previous ones referring to a Class 3 FFL. I really replied to the wrong post.:(

rips31
04-24-2007, 5:47 PM
i just got my c&r in the mail. took me ~2wk from mailing to getting my license.

Draven
04-25-2007, 1:39 AM
and thank you all for the clarification. I have bought guns at AZ gun shows before that were more than 50yrs old and never needed anything other than my AZ CCW. I am just learning what I need to do in this crazy place to continue my enjoyment of owning firearms. Again thanks to all for the clarification and assistance.

a C&R FFL is a federal 'thing' that allows you to get firearms shipped interstate to your home, 'collecting' rifles over 50 years old. In other states, it applies to handguns, too.