PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Non-hollow point 22LR

testarija@yahoo.com
04-02-2012, 3:50 PM
I've been experimenting with different 22LR ammunition for my Savage 64 TRR-SR and the one certainty Iíve learned is that this rifle doesnít like hollow points. So now, I want to learn from others on their experience and recommendation with non-hollow point 22LR ammo for 100 yards.

So far, Iíve tried Fiocci, and CCI Blazers. Both very good but not very consistent accurate. Maybe me, my rifle, or bothÖ

Here are few that Iíve read up on:
1. Aquila Super Maximum 30 grain 1750 fpsÖ
2. CCI Stinger 36 grain.

TheBest
04-02-2012, 4:02 PM
Mini Mags

crufflers
04-02-2012, 4:11 PM
Federal Lightning.

ejhc11
04-02-2012, 4:16 PM
CCI SV should be more consistent then the bulk Blazers, don't forget Wolf match/SK Rifle match ammo

Army
04-02-2012, 5:48 PM
Normally, to hollowpoint a .22 bullet means taking off some weight, throwing accuracy off to some degree with these 32-36-38gr bullets.

However, Winchester makes a 40gr HP, and a hyper-speed 40gr HP. Since .22's are twisted for 40gr bullets, these may be what you need.

I know they really run great and hit hard out of my T-bolt, and being 40gr AND hollowpoint is a bonus.

Ogre8472
04-02-2012, 5:52 PM
Hey,
Ive been lucky i guess because my 64fxp does well with most ive fed it. The winchester super X is the one that does snag the most but its the least round of all of them.
Try the Mini-Mags and the Velocitors both 40g. The Federal Lighting cycled very well as did the remington golden. I also had a stash of PMC 40g that did awesome!
Just try what you can get your hands on.

CSACANNONEER
04-02-2012, 5:56 PM
If you want precision, stop experimenting with the hi velosity stuff and look at the standard velocity stuff. Look at Eley, Wolf match, RWS, CCI green label, etc.

If you are just looking for "accuracy" and don't care about group size (ie. "precision"), it's a crap shoot. You'll just need to find the ammo that shoots around your POA or, pick any ammo and adjust your sites for that ammo.

testarija@yahoo.com
04-03-2012, 8:20 AM
thanks everybody. These are great suggestions. The local Walmarts and Big5's don't carry much variaty so I'll likely order online. Happy and safe shooting...

Izzy43
04-03-2012, 8:31 AM
Here are few that Iíve read up on:
1. Aquila Super Maximum 30 grain 1750 fpsÖ
2. CCI Stinger 36 grain.

The Aguila Super Maximum is horribly inaccurate in every rifle I have tried it in. Might be OK for close in, 50yds or less but @ 100yds the pattern looks like a shotgun. I have read where some have acceptable accuracy with the Stingers but need to make sure they chamber OK in your rifle as I think the case is slightly longer than other .22lr rounds and don't expect good target shooting with them either. A lot of punch by no precision. By precision I mean getting a 5 shot .5" group @ 50 yds ain't gonna happen.

testarija@yahoo.com
04-03-2012, 8:43 AM
thanks Izzy... I've been waiting to hear about those Aquila. From what I've read so far, I guess high velocity does not equal to accuracy/precision. Based on the suggestions, I'll order some Mini Mags, Eley, Wolf Match, and CCI's...

covingtonhouse
04-04-2012, 6:17 AM
thanks Izzy... I've been waiting to hear about those Aquila. From what I've read so far, I guess high velocity does not equal to accuracy/precision. Based on the suggestions, I'll order some Mini Mags, Eley, Wolf Match, and CCI's...

You pretty much nailed it right there. CCI, RWS, and Remington all make a subsonic hollow point load that works well out of my Savage MK II. These all shoot between 1070-1150 fps and should be way more accurate than the hyper velocity rounds. Generally good for squirrel size targets out to 100yds with a humane kill if you do your part. If you are seriously target shooting there are better round nose selections for accuracy. Hollowpoints are generally considered a "field" load. Different lots may give different results also.

offrdmania
04-04-2012, 7:24 AM
I swear by the CCI part # 0030 round nose, great round and I have never had any issues with it

PEZHEAD265
04-04-2012, 7:55 AM
What happens when a bullit goes from sonic to sub sonic it wobbles.That point is about 1115 FPS.When you are shooting that far 100 yds most bullit go under sonic speed at about 50 yds or less.The Aquila 40 gr interceptors [1470 fps]break down at about 70-80 yds those faster [1750fps] ones might reach out to a 100yds.Try them and see how they work.I would use the fastest sub sonic round stay under 1115fps that I could find

Target-Ed
04-05-2012, 6:38 PM
Try Federal Auto-Match for bulk ammo. For Standard Velocity, try ELEY Sport My Semis and pumps love both

Ed