PDA

View Full Version : Sunday, MG-34 Fun - well maybe

M1A Rifleman
04-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Hmm, no mention of the guy that had to quickly leave the Livermore range Sunday morning after their MG34 "malfunctioned". The BRAAAP the thing made upon pulling the trigger was not semi-auto fire. :facepalm:

7.62x63mmUS
04-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Wow... maybe it saw a Garand and thought it was D-Day all over again?

M1A Rifleman
04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
It was funny, well from my perspective as few benches away. The RO's eye's were like saucers, when he said that's not semi auto. The thing ran fast, and sounded like a busted chainsaw with no muffler.

dzhao20
04-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Damn, freaking awesome. I bet the RO was like I want one of those too :D

Chach
04-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I had a slam fire on my M53 once. Braaaaap is a good description of the sound it made going through 8 rounds in a few milliseconds. Don't think I was able to go #2 for a few days from the pucker factor that ensued. Scary as all hell, yes. Fun, not in the least bit. RO didn't make me leave, he was more concerned about me being alright than anything else. Said it sounded like an M14 that KB'd just a few days before. In my case it was a combination of a weak firing pin spring and an undersized booster cone that didn't like the slightly hotter ammo I just bought that caused the slamfire. All is good now though, and I only run 2 or 3 rounds in a belt for a while to make sure she's running properly. Hope the guy's alright, I know there was a guy here at Calguns that was getting a new 34, wonder if it was him that had the 'fun'.

7.62x63mmUS
04-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I have a Garand that used to have a worn sear and it trippled on me. Pretty scary. I think it was pointed about 45 degrees up when it quit finally.

mosinnagantm9130
04-02-2012, 1:08 PM
I've had that happen to me on an old Mossberg .22 before. Since it's a .22, the muzzle didn't rise at all, it surprised me more than anything.

DisgruntledReaper
04-02-2012, 3:45 PM
I had my BREN do that at the range..the RO just said 'hmm got a bit more work to do on it huh? I had a garand give me fits ,blew through an 8 rounder .." I said yea the striker must not be catching right(striker too loose ,spring bent,Paki milsurp 303...who knows what caused it... I still need to get another striker and spring and hand fit it.....and YES the selector lever is blocked from FA position... it was short stroking also on the ammo..

I am considering changing to 762x54 r ..mod the bolt and ream the barrel and get a zb39 magazine....

Also had old Bushmaster rifle(not AR style) do it in the 80's-10rds - fouund a piece of coil spring in the lower that was NOT there before...think it was wedged in the disconnector somehow---- no other explanation found...

BOTTOM LINE---things happen and people should not get all paranoid and call the cops and swat.... honestly think any intelligent person would bring a KNOWN illegal FA to a range?? If the RO calls cops he is a douche jumping to conclusions and creating unneeded grief..

raiders1
04-02-2012, 4:04 PM
To clear thing up the front firing pin spring was in pieces and had the firing pin locked in the protruding position. Not fun and very embarrassing.

DisgruntledReaper
04-02-2012, 6:23 PM
Well at least it didnt suffer pierced primers AND the runaway fa...could have been worse....if nothing else it teaches to replace any old spring where you dont know the history...hell if that was original,it could have had 'xx' K rounds through it..

glad the problem was found and the owner and gun are both going to be ok.... of course I would be happy to take the defective piece of machinery off the owner for 'parts':thumbsup::Ivan::cheers2:

Chach
04-03-2012, 1:35 PM
To clear thing up the front firing pin spring was in pieces and had the firing pin locked in the protruding position. Not fun and very embarrassing.

See, I had an inkling that it was you. ;) Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Did this happen on your first belt? If not, how was she running otherwise?

raiders1
04-03-2012, 5:26 PM
Wasn't the 34 was the 42. And will need some work. These are really crazy funny guns. Nobody wants this to happen but I willnget it straighten out.

timdps
04-05-2012, 4:55 PM
Keep an eye on those M53 firing pin springs (measure length now and monitor length regularly). The springs that Wise Lite Arms used are not really up to the job and things could get exciting if/when the springs compress permanently.

Tim

I had a slam fire on my M53 once. Braaaaap is a good description of the sound it made going through 8 rounds in a few milliseconds. Don't think I was able to go #2 for a few days from the pucker factor that ensued. Scary as all hell, yes. Fun, not in the least bit. RO didn't make me leave, he was more concerned about me being alright than anything else. Said it sounded like an M14 that KB'd just a few days before. In my case it was a combination of a weak firing pin spring and an undersized booster cone that didn't like the slightly hotter ammo I just bought that caused the slamfire. All is good now though, and I only run 2 or 3 rounds in a belt for a while to make sure she's running properly. Hope the guy's alright, I know there was a guy here at Calguns that was getting a new 34, wonder if it was him that had the 'fun'.