PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 Takedown: The iPad of Rifles

capturedlive
04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Just called Turner's in Reseda to secure a Ruger Takedown, and came up goose eggs. Apparently they got a shipment of "hundreds" in (for their 14 locations) on Friday, and sold out (at $299.99) by noon Saturday. I had no idea this was going to be that sort of ordeal. The guy said I could come in and leave a deposit for their next shipment, "whenever that might be." :(

Don't suppose anyone knows another brick-n-mortar in the LA/San Fernando area offering that kind of deal? I don't want to buy online.

JNunez23
04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Pass.. just not THAT exciting to me. But obviously I'm odd man out the way these things are selling.

Just not my cup of tea..please excuse my excitement! :whistling: lol

joefrank64k
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
"The iPad of Rifles"...now that's funny right there! :)

Sorry, don't know of any local shops stocking them. Like the iPad, it's online only right now!

Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Funny I heard nothing about these an then just saw one in person at Suronenterprises and its kinda a cool lil rifle. Seemed a bit lighter than regular 10/22 and the case and sling they provide is kinda cool but the case is also kinda large an almost defeats the purpose of the break down. I'm sure these eat all types of ammo an that is where they outperform those henrey an marlin breakdowns...ONLY time will tell!

usmcchet9296
04-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Is a cool rifle and one Im sure Ill get eventially but people don't worry there will be more coming soon enough.

Moonshine
04-02-2012, 12:23 PM
One issue I've noticed is that it's such a hot seller some folks are buying several to try and make a quick buck when the inventory dries up. AR-15 .22s also break down quickly, there is already the AR-7, and you can install a folding stock on a 16 inch barreled 10/22 to reduce the size... So there's definitely a sales gimmick component to this craze as the 10/22 is far from being the only rifle of this type...

stix213
04-02-2012, 12:29 PM
I was seriously considering getting this, but after doing some reading I realized that the Ruger is 1.5LB heavier than the competing Marlin Papoose 70PSS. That's a lot of extra weight for something obviously designed to be a pack rifle.

winnre
04-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Yea and I recall the AR-7 for $99. What is today's price???

JNunez23
04-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Yea and I recall the AR-7 for $99. What is today's price???

Man, I would pay that all day! Now a $99 rifle, that's something worth running to your local gun store.

Current price for a Henry AR7 is about $210 to $250..

I just don't get all the hype for this one..but that's my opinion. God knows I love my 10/22 to death!! lol

winnre
04-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Hmm if you carried it with a loaded magazine in it, but in two pieces, would it still be considered loaded?

orthopod
04-02-2012, 9:36 PM
Seems like a great idea but I will wait to see how these perform out in the wild and will consider it as a second 10/22 sometime later this year. For now I am very excited to get my first 22 rifle out of jail on Wednesday. I am planning on turning it into a tactical sniper of sorts...kind of like a little brother to the Remington 700 police...something that I would like as my 5th gun:)...after the shotgun, the 22 rifle, the Glock, and the AR15...this stuff is too addicting I didn't even have one gun at the beginning of the year!:)

capturedlive
04-03-2012, 8:05 AM
The Ruger Takedown was going to be my first 10/22 purchase, so I decided to use my waiting time to seriously re-evaluate my options. At my request, a friend offered his two cents. Pretty strong stuff:

"Unless there is a truly-abiding need for a 'take-down' .22 rifle in your future-- such as if you are a bush pilot, or a private-pilot who flies across a lot of open-space or mountains where unexpected set-downs might be a sudden-reality one day, and a compact survival tool, such as a rifle like this, is suddenly needed for foraging-- I would not spend the extra money on that feature, but use it to invest in some truly practical, accuracy-enhancing, after-market accessories. After all, you don't want to be dis-assembling/re-assembling this rifle all the time, do you? And if you don't need to break it down for storage in your home, or carriage in your auto/truck, what's the point of it?

Take-down rifles are not traditionally known for their accuracy, and it would just be another challenge to try and find a .22 LR load that this take-down Ruger rifle might shoot better than "acceptably." Whereas the 'stock' Ruger 10-22 rifle is known for it's EXCELLENT, confidence-building, accuracy with most loads-- especially if it happens to be equipped with a decent trigger and is properly scoped.

The take-down Ruger 10-22 rifle, while a 'cool concept' in theory, is not only a solution to a non-existent problem (unless you fall into certain of the 'specialized-needs' categories that I mentioned in the para' above), it really is just a sales benefit to Ruger Arms, the gun magazines, and to the retailers who are in the business to exploit a potential niche-need in the marketplace with such a special-purpose .22 rifle, and then convince you and me, through their 'marketing' and PR, that we need to buy this NEW Ruger 10-22 (even if we might already have one-- or ten- of the potentially more-accurate, stock models, and which have been bought by many of us over the past 48 years of this very model's existence!"

Rule .308
04-03-2012, 8:22 AM
For me, it is really the "cool" factor of a break down rifle. I have looked at the Papoose for a long time but have always been a day late when one comes up for sale. 10/22's are fantastic rifles and now it comes in a break down version, stainless steel, with a nice backpack/carry case? I am all over it. For the most part, it just makes a really nice kit. I went in on Thursday and managed to get the last one that the had in the store, they had plenty more in the warehouse at that time. Glad I got mine when I did.

walletclan
04-03-2012, 9:04 AM
I got mine on March 30th from Turners in Fountain Valley. I also used the Calgun coupon for an extra $10 off, bringing the total to $289. I was already in the market for a 10/22 when this gun came out. Plus, I live in a condo where space is at a premium. I figured that the 10/22 was a great rifle in general, plus the fact that it breaks down into a nice storage case is even better. Who knows how long Ruger will still sell these with the case. I could see them doing away with the packs in the future if sales are outstanding.

I pick mine up on 4/9 and I took advantage of the Nikon rebate and got a Prostaff 4x32 for $50 (after rebate).

capturedlive
04-03-2012, 9:25 AM
Great deal, walletclan.

BBJohnnyT
04-03-2012, 9:38 AM
The Ruger Takedown was going to be my first 10/22 purchase, so I decided to use my waiting time to seriously re-evaluate my options. At my request, a friend offered his two cents. Pretty strong stuff:

"Unless there is a truly-abiding need for a 'take-down' .22 rifle in your future-- such as if you are a bush pilot, or a private-pilot who flies across a lot of open-space or mountains where unexpected set-downs might be a sudden-reality one day, and a compact survival tool, such as a rifle like this, is suddenly needed for foraging-- I would not spend the extra money on that feature, but use it to invest in some truly practical, accuracy-enhancing, after-market accessories. After all, you don't want to be dis-assembling/re-assembling this rifle all the time, do you? And if you don't need to break it down for storage in your home, or carriage in your auto/truck, what's the point of it?

Take-down rifles are not traditionally known for their accuracy, and it would just be another challenge to try and find a .22 LR load that this take-down Ruger rifle might shoot better than "acceptably." Whereas the 'stock' Ruger 10-22 rifle is known for it's EXCELLENT, confidence-building, accuracy with most loads-- especially if it happens to be equipped with a decent trigger and is properly scoped.

The take-down Ruger 10-22 rifle, while a 'cool concept' in theory, is not only a solution to a non-existent problem (unless you fall into certain of the 'specialized-needs' categories that I mentioned in the para' above), it really is just a sales benefit to Ruger Arms, the gun magazines, and to the retailers who are in the business to exploit a potential niche-need in the marketplace with such a special-purpose .22 rifle, and then convince you and me, through their 'marketing' and PR, that we need to buy this NEW Ruger 10-22 (even if we might already have one-- or ten- of the potentially more-accurate, stock models, and which have been bought by many of us over the past 48 years of this very model's existence!"

When I pick up mine next Tuesday, it's going in my bugout bag, minus the bulky case. It's replacing a Henry AR-7. It's a bit heavier than the AR-7, but it's a true takedown which are inherently more sturdy and accurate than screw-on barrels like the AR-7 and Papoose.

You make a good point that they're inferior to stock 10/22s, but I don't think they are are for a "non-existent" problem. Takedowns pack well and stow well, especially in cars on trips. True, if I was going to keep in only in my closet, then they are overkill.

cudakidd
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Have a Marlin Papoose AND a Henry Mini Bolt as Truck guns. The Henry is a single screw takedown and fits in a Papoose case! Very accurate, well made/sturdy, bolt action reliability, light and feeds ANY 22 short, long, long rifle ammo...

The Papoose is a purpose built take down, mine is very accurate and reliable. lighter then the 10/22 of which I have four in any event! But the Ruger Cries out for aftermarket accessories and to have a scope as well...

joefrank64k
04-03-2012, 5:51 PM

And your buddy's point is?

I kid, I kid! :)

I just plain like take-down/survival guns. I own 2 AR-7's, a Springfield M6 .22LR/.410 w/ the floating case, a Savage 99G in .303 Savage from the 30's, and some others I can't think of right now.

Unlike the AR-7 and M6, the 10/22 TD actually has features to address the lack of accuracy TD's typically have, like a click-adjustable locking ring and set screws for the barrel. So far, the tests have shown excellent repeatability-to-zero, even with optics. Time will tell how that mechanism will hold up, of course. But the early reports are that Ruger really nailed it. You can have a takedown and accuracy, too! The rifle feels extremely solid in the hand, and the takedown mechanism is really very clever.

Your buddy makes some good points, but guns are seldom about pure "practicality", right? Yes, you can buy a Synthetic Stocked 10/22 w/20" barrel for $209 and use the $80 saved to buy a Nikon scope and scope mount..but where's the fun in that? :D

BBJohnnyT
04-03-2012, 8:37 PM
Michael Bane mentioned the 10/22 Takedown in his blog (http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2012/03/ruger-1022-takedown.html) and someone commented about the limited "need" for such a specialized rifle, just like your friend did. I agree with Michael's response...

Man, I can't believe I have to say this again...in a free market society, NEED has nothing to do with it. We don't NEED 50 brands of toothpaste, motorcycles that go 200 miles per hour, Jimmy Choo shoes, Mercedes Benzes, expensive wine, designer chocolate or Ritch Rand cowboy hats. We are, however, free to buy all those things if we WANT them (and can afford them), because that's how a free society works.

"From each according to his ability; to each according to his need" describes a different country, dude!

So, if you personally like the Takedown, get it and enjoy it, regardless of what some expert friend says!

jyo
04-03-2012, 8:47 PM
Personally, I LIKE the idea of a take-down 10-22 (I already have an older Belguim Browning 22 Auto, which is also a take-down), but I think the 10-22 idea needs further refining---that is how about a lightweight 16 1/4" barrel instead of a heavy 18.5" barrel? Also, a much smaller, tighter fitting case with a couple of pockets to hold those pre-ban 25 rd Bulter Creek mags everybody should have stashed away if they were around back then. Also understand, most take-down rifles are generally left put-together anyway---so remember that most of you are just buying this rifle because it is cool. Soooooo, bring on the truly lightweight 10-22 TD rifle!

capturedlive
04-03-2012, 10:11 PM
You'll get no argument from me; the 10/22 Takedown is cool. However, it's not for me, not yet. For my first 10/22 I've decided to go 'old school' with a bare-bones, one-piece, walnut stock model. Call it my "trainer." I'll add stuff as I go, switch stuff out, until I create MY custom model. After that, if the TD's coolness remains intact for me, I'll get one. As it was already said, what's NEED got to do with it?

pmoradi2002
04-04-2012, 1:12 PM
If this is the "iPad of rifles" then that means that it's overpriced and overstated. Seems pretty similar:euro:

joefrank64k
04-04-2012, 1:17 PM
If this is the "iPad of rifles" then that means that it's overpriced and overstated. Seems pretty similar:euro:

Yes, my iPad and my 10/22 TD will go very well together! :)

fourXfour
04-04-2012, 1:46 PM
I dig it and picked one up on gun broker. This is exactly what I have been looking for. Easy to transport and cheap to shoot. It may even be easier to clean. I think I may even like the case more than the rifle.

Now I need to pick a nice matching handgun. I'm leaning toward the .22 lcr. The cylinder is stainless and may match the barrel of the 10/22. The 22/45's are cool too, but the one I like has the damn threaded barrel.