PDA

View Full Version : High and to the left

FredoSD
04-02-2012, 5:37 AM
I had to get home so I ran out of time before I could get them in closer to center. But I'm happy my the improvement. I like this rifle more and more every time I take it out.
Savage MKII, Bushnell dusk and dawn 3-9X40 set at 4X. 25 yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Fredo/leather/dime.jpg

FredoSD
04-02-2012, 9:58 AM
My feelings wont be hurt if you folks offer critique.

facn650
04-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Do you think it's a sight adjustment problem or an aim problem on your side?

FredoSD
04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking I still need to dial in the scope. Pretty consitant high and to the left though.
Of course it might be me, next range visit will give me more info.

roushstage2
04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Good size groups IMO. If it stays like that at 50 yards (or whatever distance you plan on sighting for) once you get the aim adjusted all of the way, you'll be set!

Furncliff
04-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Are you experimenting with different ammo brands? That's made a huge difference for me.

FredoSD
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Are you experimenting with different ammo brands? That's made a huge difference for me.

Yes I'm trying diff ammo brands. So Far I can not find Wolf in my area so I've been trying fiocci (sp*) but this last set shown is with remington from Big 5

george tirebiter
04-02-2012, 10:35 PM
High? And to the left? Please don't shoot while under the influence and just know the left wants to take your guns. :)

mycrstuff
04-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Check to see if you are canting the scope. Sometime when you hold the rifle too tight the front sight/scope leans one way or the other. The upper right circle is almost dead on so it looks like you might be canting on the other ones.

Once you figure out if you are canting the rifle or if your sights are not centered you can make adjustments. If your scope has a 1/4 MOA adjustment you can turn it 4 clicks for each 1/4 inch you need to move the center of the group to the target center. Being one inch to the left of the center of the target would mean you need to move 4 clicks to the right. 1 1/2 inches would be 6 clicks. If you have a scope with 1/8 MOA clicks 1 inch would be 8 clicks and 1 1 /2 would be 12 clicks. This applies to the left to right adjustments and the up and down adjustments.

I had this same problem during an Appleseed shoot. It turned out my sling was too tight and it would cant the entire rifle. Once I realized the problem I adjusted the cant to dead on and received my Rifleman Badge.

Izzy43
04-03-2012, 6:58 AM
My feelings wont be hurt if you folks offer critique.

Mycrstuff's advice is good, could be canting the rifle. Make sure it is level each and every shot. Also the Remington ammo can be inconsistent. Your groups are all very similiar so that's a good start.

1. Use 9x on the scope to zero it, you will see the target better and tighten up your groups.

2. I have a MKII and it is very, very ammo sensitive. Shoots Wolf MT the best and doesn't shoot any of the bulk 22 ammo worth crap. Wolf is one hole groups @ 25yds, bulk is 1" group with flyers.

3. You might also try some CCI Standard Velocity, Turners has it sometimes.

4. Keep a notebook of what works and what doesn't so you don't repeat mistakes.

5. Breathe out all the way and then squeeze the trigger straight back. It should be a surprise when the rifle fires. Make sure that you follow through with your shots, that means holding the crosshairs on the target after the rifle has already fired. Pulling the trigger instead of squeezing will cause pulled shots.

Good Luck!

Ribkick
04-03-2012, 3:52 PM
High? And to the left? Please don't shoot while under the influence and just know the left wants to take your guns. :)

:smilielol5:

FredoSD
04-03-2012, 5:22 PM

Coke through the nose tickles then it hurts real bad...thanks

JNunez23
04-04-2012, 9:18 AM
OK...

Yeah, use your 9x to zero in. I would do 50 yards, at 9x and just make sure to keep it as steady as possible.

Then just walk it over to center by making 1/4" adjustments.

Have fun..