PDA

View Full Version : Remington scoremaster 511

DaBrew
04-01-2012, 9:14 PM
Finally got my old hand me down gun back. It was stored in somebody's gun safe in between moves years ago. It was my dad's who gave it to me, and his dad gave it to him. Eventually it will go to my son as well. Weather was really nasty Saturday morning, so we hit the indoor range instead, better than nothing I figured, but a lot more fun than I expected.

Looking to put a scope on it and see if I can hit anything at 100 yards. Any recommendations for a low priced scope that would be suitable? Any ammo recommendations? I used hollow point 36 grain Winchester and 40 grain Remington, but at 25 yards I don't imagine there would be much difference.

We both had a great time, I was totally surprised at how much fun it was....and my shoulder didn't hurt either :)

littlejake
04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Nice to see a young person engaged in the shooting sports. Remington made a number of .22's. I have a 510 Targetmaster single shot bolt. Is the scoremaster 511 a single shot? Or magazine fed bolt?

I'd just use a standard velocity 40 grain. I'm partial to CCI. I used Winchester T22 back in the 80's when I was a serious .22 target shooter.

Have you looked up the date code on the barrel to get a month and year of manufacture?

DaBrew
04-03-2012, 5:54 PM
Nice to see a young person engaged in the shooting sports. Remington made a number of .22's. I have a 510 Targetmaster single shot bolt. Is the scoremaster 511 a single shot? Or magazine fed bolt?

I'd just use a standard velocity 40 grain. I'm partial to CCI. I used Winchester T22 back in the 80's when I was a serious .22 target shooter.

Have you looked up the date code on the barrel to get a month and year of manufacture?

I tried checking the date code but I can't make out what it says. It's magazine fed. It holds 6 rounds but I found a place that sells a 10 round mag. Might be a nice addition, seems like you go through 6 really quick

foesgth
04-03-2012, 6:27 PM
The old Remington's are great rifles. My first gun was a 597 Remington pump action. I still have it an it still will out shoot most of my newer .22s. Great rifle for a kid. Keep taking him to the range.

Jeepers
04-03-2012, 6:30 PM
great gun, my first also from my pop,and still have it to pass down to my children

Izzy43
04-03-2012, 7:15 PM
Looking to put a scope on it and see if I can hit anything at 100 yards. Any recommendations for a low priced scope that would be suitable?

I have a nearly new Simmons 22 Mag 3-9X32MM Adustable Objective scope that would be a good scope for that rifle. If interested shoot me a PM.

Great to see your son shooting. Quality father/son times are ahead.