PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to decrease Sig P226 trigger uptake?

pc_load_letter
04-01-2012, 8:03 PM
Apologies if that is not the correct term. Not sure if trigger slack would have been a better adjective.

Anyways, I was at the range today and shot my favorite pistols...my Ruger SR9, CZ 75BD and my Sig P226R.

The CZ and Ruger have a very nice quick trigger when pulling back but on the Sig, when shooting slow and concentrating, seems like I am pulling forever compared to the other firearms.

Anyway to decrease the trigger uptake so it shoots with less pull distance?

Thanks in advanced for any thoughts.

PCLL

jmzhwells
04-01-2012, 8:16 PM
I dont think you can change the double action trigger, but you can shorten the single action pull w/ the SRT, which is awesome. I know its a lil long, but it is really smooth and easy compared to others. Just a sig.

9mmepiphany
04-01-2012, 9:58 PM
Are you talking about the DA trigger stroke?

You can't change the distance the trigger travels, between the point where the hammer travel begins and the hammer is released. Well, you could, but the change in geometry would dramatically increase the trigger pull weight.

Trigger slack is the free movement of the trigger before it starts rotating the hammer...often referred to as pre-travel...this can be shortened with internal action work

Over-travel is the distance the trigger moves pass the point where the hammer is released.

Reset distance is the distance the trigger needs to move forward, after releasing the hammer, for it to re-engage the trigger bar to start the next trigger stroke

pc_load_letter
04-02-2012, 9:47 AM
Thanks for that...very educational!

So I guess I would be interested in the trigger slack. Do you think that's something a Sig armorer could decrease?

Thanks again!

Are you talking about the DA trigger stroke?

You can't change the distance the trigger travels, between the point where the hammer travel begins and the hammer is released. Well, you could, but the change in geometry would dramatically increase the trigger pull weight.

Trigger slack is the free movement of the trigger before it starts rotating the hammer...often referred to as pre-travel...this can be shortened with internal action work

Over-travel is the distance the trigger moves pass the point where the hammer is released.

Reset distance is the distance the trigger needs to move forward, after releasing the hammer, for it to re-engage the trigger bar to start the next trigger stroke

appagohm
04-02-2012, 2:42 PM
An SRT trigger kit is avaliable for the sig p226, also it won't really make your first shot any shorter, the shot afterward will have less takeup.

JUm3
04-02-2012, 3:12 PM
I just had a thread on this. I was suggested to get a SRT trigger, but after doing some research on SIG forums, I hear grayguns is the place to send for trigger work. They don't install the SRT rather they mod it. BUt it cost $300...

can anyone else add some input between the SRT and actually gunsmithing work

Cyc Wid It
04-02-2012, 4:19 PM
I went the Grayguns route. It's worth every dollar.

JUm3
04-02-2012, 4:54 PM
I went the Grayguns route. It's worth every dollar.

which option:

http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/sig-sauer-pistols/

Cyc Wid It
04-02-2012, 6:21 PM
Mine had the old duty package, which seems to be similar to the current one with some minor differences.

9mmepiphany is the Sig man though, and very helpful if you've got more specific questions.

9mmepiphany
04-02-2012, 11:46 PM
I just had a thread on this. I was suggested to get a SRT trigger, but after doing some research on SIG forums, I hear grayguns is the place to send for trigger work. They don't install the SRT rather they mod it. BUt it cost $300...

can anyone else add some input between the SRT and actually gunsmithing work
Grayguns is the foremost expert on the SIG pistols in this country. Since they guaranty their work for life, they chose the safer route of modifying the action parts to produce a reduced reset on the SIG Classic P-series pistols. The SRT came much later in response to a LE contract that required a shorter reset than the pistols offered.

Grayguns will also tune your action to a higher degree than offered by the factory...only you can decide it you'd be able to appreciate the level of refinement. 80% of shooters would likely be happy with the factory trigger. Of the remaining 20%, 10% would likely be satisfied for the cleanup that the factory offers. There are other gunsmiths would do very nice work and they can address the needs of the next 5%. For the top 5% of shooters, nothing but top flight work will be enough...that level of work can only be obtained from GrayGuns. If you want the most out of your SIG and you aspire to be in the top 20%, I'd highly recommend sending your gun to Bruce Gray.

OP - reducing the slack/takeup in the trigger isn't something that a SIG Armor is usually trained to do...it just takes a higher understanding of the workings of the operation

Plisk
04-03-2012, 2:18 AM
Others are correct, there is extremely little that can be done about the amount of travel in your double-action pull. If you're looking to make it more pleasant, I can make your double-action pull much lighter and smoother.

Markinsac
04-03-2012, 8:37 AM
which option:

http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/sig-sauer-pistols/

For everyday carry on a DA/SA, the Reduced Reset Comprehensive Duty Package is the way to go. The trigger is cleaned up and smoothed out, the reset is reduced about 40% (still safe for carry - you DON'T want a competition reset for carry), and the moving parts are polished.

The best way I can describe it is that they open it up and pour out all the sand left inside during manufacturing. A lot smoother.