PDA

View Full Version : AWB question

silverbullets
04-19-2007, 6:27 AM
I have a pre '94 Colt with all the goodies on it, it is registered with DOJ as well, between '94 and '99 I picked myself up another one, without the flash hider, collapsable stock etc. It was registered after the 99 ban, now my question is, since it is now a "registered assault weapon" can I add the goodies that I previously couldn't ie flas hiders etc.
thanks

Dont Tread on Me
04-19-2007, 6:40 AM
The CA Bureau of Firearms (BOF) has a great FAQ on assault weapons:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.php

My understanding as a layman is that if you have an AR 15 style lower that is listed as an assault weapon on the BOF's list and it is not registered you are in possession of an illegal assault weapon.

It was registered after the 99 ban,

If I did not register my assault weapon by the registration deadline, is there any way I can legally keep it?
No. If you did not register your assault weapon prior to the registration deadline, you must relinquish that assault weapon to a law enforcement agency. Failure to relinquish your unregistered assault weapon could result in arrest and a felony conviction.

If you have any doubt that it was registered you should immediately contact a lawyer to work out what to do. If it is illegal, the lawyer might be able to arrange to hand it in to police without involving you.

My understanding is that possession is not as great a crime as transport and manufacture so don't drive it anywhere.

paradox
04-19-2007, 6:46 AM
If they are registered with the DOJ, make them as evil as you want so long as you don't make it full auto or a SBR.

grammaton76
04-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Indeed. As long as you don't break federal law, you can go nuts with that thing in CA. Add five pistol grips on quad rails if you want, it's legal.

bwiese
04-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I have a pre '94 Colt with all the goodies on it, it is registered with DOJ as well, between '94 and '99 I picked myself up another one, without the flash hider, collapsable stock etc. It was registered after the 99 ban, now my question is, since it is now a "registered assault weapon" can I add the goodies that I previously couldn't ie flas hiders etc.

If your guns are specially registered with DOJ as assault weapons (and this does NOT include the 'registration' perceived to be completed when you filled out the 4473, etc. forms at time of purchase - many people confuse this!) then there is no degree or level of assault weapons status.

t can have one or all evil features (except grenade launchers, which are illegal in & of themselves). Go ahead and add a flash hider or telescoping stock, etc. since the Federal AWB sunset in September 2004.