PDA

View Full Version : Any info on statistics re: Shootings in "gun Free" zones?

LAK Supply
04-18-2007, 11:54 PM
I've been thinking about something....... Anyone here have any information regarding the number of shootings (especially multiple victim shootings) that have happened in "gun free" zones?

I know that several of the shootings in recent years have been at schools and other "gun free" zones. The Trolley Square Mall was one of these "make the idiots feel secure" zones......

Anyone have any information or any links to reports and the like? :confused:

hoffmang
04-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Here are a couple of good links:

Dave Kopel in the WSJ
http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailToID=1253261328
Don Kates:
http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2007/04/don_kates_take_1.php

-Gene

Paladin
04-19-2007, 8:37 AM
Although this article was published a week ago, it is particularly on point.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264896,00.html

Flawed Laws Help Stalkers Victimize Women
By John Lott and Sonya Jones
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

(open quote)
Indeed, the University of Washington goes in the opposite direction and tries to protect people by declaring the campus a “gun-free zone,” with the school’s code of conduct banning the “possession or use of firearms ... except for authorized university purposes.”

Gun-free zones may be well-intentioned, but good intentions are not enough. It is an understandable desire to ban guns; after all, if you ban guns from an area, people can’t get shot, right? But time after time when these public shootings occur, they disproportionately take place in gun-free zones.

It is the law-abiding good citizens who would only use a gun for protection who obey these bans. Violating a gun-free zone at a place such as a public university may mean expulsion or firing and arrest, real penalties for law-abiding citizens. But for someone intent on killing others, adding on these penalties for violating a gun-free zone means little to someone who, if still alive, faces life in prison.

Unfortunately, instead of gun-free zones ensuring safety for victims, ensuring that the victims are unarmed only makes things safer for attackers.

One of us conducted research with Bill Landes at the University of Chicago that examined all the multiple-victim public shootings in the United States from 1977 to 1999. We found that when states passed right-to-carry laws, these attacks fell by 60 percent. Deaths and injuries from multiple-victim public shootings fell on average by 78 percent.

To the extent that attacks still occurred, they overwhelmingly happened in the special places within right-to-carry states where concealed handguns were banned. The University of Washington is a good example of this.
(close quote) (emphasis added)

To this, Prof. Lott can now add Virginia Tech.

LAK Supply
04-19-2007, 9:42 PM
Hmmmm. . . . . Those are interesting reads, but I think I'm going to have to do some research on #'s for this one. I'm really curious to see exactly how many of these violent acts have taken place in a "gun-free zone."

mcubed4130
04-19-2007, 9:46 PM
You could start by counting all the "school" shootings of the past several years... many comments have been made about the sharp INCREASE in school shootings of late.

-M3