PDA

View Full Version : Help with a report about gun control.

jumbopanda
04-18-2007, 8:59 PM
I need to write a 5-7 page report on a topic of my choice. I'd like to write about the gun control, and was hoping someone could point me towards some good articles dealing with the subject. Statistical and historical evidence proving the ineffectiveness of gun control would be great.

Wulf
04-18-2007, 9:19 PM
Pick up "A Nation of Cowards" by Jeffy Snyder.

It makes the case for gun rights by logic and respect for human rights. Not statistics which are very poor tools for such work.

jojojones
04-18-2007, 9:21 PM
John Lott wrote a couple of books that provide some some analytical arguments as well as the data to back it up. He Quotes a lot of federal studies about the ineffectiveness of the Crime bill that would be worth looking at as well.

Jojo

FreedomIsNotFree
04-18-2007, 9:26 PM
Have you ever heard of the internet....there is all sorts of info there I'm sure you could find useful....

jk...

mcubed4130
04-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I need to write a 5-7 page report on a topic of my choice. I'd like to write about the gun control, and was hoping someone could point me towards some good articles dealing with the subject. Statistical and historical evidence proving the ineffectiveness of gun control would be great.

Have you tried http://www.calguns.net ? :) the "Gun Facts" link on the homepage is a good start.

Also I have used the data from this link, several times:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=2445

Have fun with yer report! Make us all proud! :D

-M3

jumbopanda
04-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I've never even checked out those links on the main page; I always click "Enter the Forums" immediately. :p

Very good info there...

Librarian
04-19-2007, 8:49 AM
Also try these:

Jacobs, J. B. (2002). Can Gun Control Work? Oxford: Oxford University Press

Holmes, R. M. and Holmes, S. T. (2001). Murder in America. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publictions, Inc.

Walker, S. (1994). Sense and Nonsense about Crime and Drugs, 3rd Ed. Belmont, CA.: Wadsworth Publishing Company -- The 2005 6th edition is probably better.

Halbrook, Stephen J. (1994). That Every Man Be Armed. Oakland, CA: The Independent Institute,

Malcom, Joyce Lee (1994). To Keep and Bear Arms. Cambridge, Massachusetts.: Harvard University Press.

Amar, Akhil Reed (1998). The Bill of Rights. Yale University.

Cottrol, Robert J. Ed. (1994). Gun Control and the Constitution: Sources and Explorations on the Second Amendment. New York: Garland Publishing Company.

Kopel, David. Guns: Who Should Have Them (1995)

Kleck, Gary. (1991). Point Blank: Guns and violence in America. New York : Aldine De Gruyter.

Kleck, Gary. (1997) Targeting guns: Firearms and their control. New York : Aldine De Gruyter.

Kleck, Gary & Kates, Don. (2001). Armed. Amherst, NY : Prometheus Books.

Crazed_SS
04-19-2007, 9:04 AM
Here is the stuff I cited for my last 8 page gun control paper.